PDA

View Full Version : Shop turned pen mill bushings

Mark Stutz
05-07-2007, 10:31 PM
Although I lurk over here often, most of the time you'll find me in Neanderland! Even us Galoots have need for a lathe avery now and then...you know, toll handles, mallets, etc. I recently was asked by my son to make some pens as gifts for Profs. that wrote special letters of recommendation for him. Decided on Rollerballs...and since I prefer large pens (I have big hands) I had some El Grande kits on hand, though had never turned one. I usually use a pen mill to square the end since I don't have a disc sander. Yhese use BIG tubes...no mill big enough. After struggling trying to square the ends of the first...used my shooting board, but was afraid of scratching the sole of the plane with the brass...decided there must be a better way. Since I had some smaller diameter tubes that fit existing pen mills, I turned some "bushings" that would fit inside the El Grande tubes and allow me to use a smaller pen mill. The last PIC is of the 3 pens...Rosewood, Purpleheart, and Zircote.

Mark

Jonathon Spafford
05-08-2007, 3:03 AM
Those are some beautiful pens! I especially like the one on the right! Wonderful work and good innovation on the pen mill!

Phillip H Smith
05-08-2007, 9:31 AM
Hey, Mark...

Beautiful pens! I like your idea on making the bushings to work with your pen mill...I must remember that trick.

Now...in my "work life," I'm a Professor...and if you promise to make me one of those pens, I'll write your son a letter, too.http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon12.gif

Phil

Gary Herrmann
05-08-2007, 10:37 AM
Very clever, Mark.

Michael Armstrong
05-08-2007, 5:56 PM
Mark:
You may want to take a look at this website for future reference. They have pen mill pilot shafts for a number of the larger pens including the El Grande.

www.penblanks.ca

Michael

Mark Stutz
05-09-2007, 4:31 PM
Michael,
Thanks for the info. I was a bit "under the gun" on these so had to come up with a quick solution...wouldn't have had time to order! I'm sure I'm not the first to come up with this, but hadn't seen it anywhere. I posted so that other new turners, like me, might get some inspiration, and when needed, think outside the box a little.

Phillip,
I'll ask him if he needs any more letters!:D

Jonathan,
That one is one of my favorites as well. I like the looks of the glossy CA finish, though I have to admit that the oil/wax finish on the rosewood feels really nice in the hand, and looks better with time as it develops it's own patina.

Mark