PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for gouge explanation

Doug M Jones
05-07-2007, 10:19 PM
I see the tool confusion post got moved but I wanted to say thanks to all that responded. I never understood the reason for not using the roughing gouge for bowls and have used it to rough the outside of a bowl. I will now use the bowl gouge. What is the correct presentation for the gouge. If I use the tip, I get little rings around the bowl and if I use the edge, it seems to catch. I have used it for inside of the bowls but also have catches.

Any help is appreciated as always.

Thanks

Gordon Seto
05-07-2007, 10:55 PM
Doug,

It is difficult to describe all the usages of different parts of a bowl gouge. I would recommend you find a local AAW chapter club and find some turners to show you.

The next best thing is watching bowl turning DVDs from Bill Grumbine or "Turn it on" from Jimmy Clewes. (A lot of local club has DVD, books for members to borrow for free or a small fee).

I belong to two clubs and have watched a lot of turning videos and DVDs. Not all of them are created equal. IMO, these two are worth buying your own copy so you can watch them again and again. The projects in Clewes' DVD are for the more advanced.

Gordon

George Tokarev
05-08-2007, 7:59 AM
You can use a couple methods with the bowl gouge on exteriors. Take a look at http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d160/GoodOnesGone/?action=view&current=Outside.flv where there are a couple examples of bowl gouge cuts at the outset.

Remember, as always, to keep yourself above center and to pivot for entry. It then becomes the same cutting problem as with any curved edge, getting behind the wood, not under it. Let the wood teach you how it wishes to be cut. If you have to apply pressure into the wood rather than along it, modify your angle. The shavings should fall, not fly. The old equal but opposite from your Physics class.

Mark Pruitt
05-08-2007, 8:04 AM
Doug,
I highly recommend Bill Grumbine's DVDs as mentioned earlier by Gordon. You will learn from his first DVD enough to keep you busy with that bowl gouge for quite some time. Check out Bill's website here. (http://www.wonderfulwood.com)

Let the wood teach you how it wishes to be cut.
I have never met a piece of wood that wished to be cut. That's the reason why we have to return to the grinder.

Gordon Seto
05-08-2007, 9:13 AM
Doug,

It sounds that I may get a cut from Bill Grumbine's DVD sale. I have never met him and I am trying to get him to do a demo / hands-on class at our turning club. I have not received his reply yet. So it is in the I know him, he doesn't know me category.

Bill may not have 50 years of turning experience; but his teaching experience makes him why I put more faith in his method. I believe a lot of self-taught turner students give him valuable lessons on what not to do.

Safety first.

Gordon

Phillip H Smith
05-08-2007, 9:22 AM
All...

As the one who started the thread mentioned above by asking, "What tool should I use?", it's too bad it got taken down. I understand that it was a "hot button" issue and a lot of seemingly pointed comments were made. To me, even the latter contained value information.

There was a lot of good information passed on. I wish I had printed out the stuff. I had intended to go back from time-to-time and review the information. Now I have to rely on my not-always-reliable memory. Hopefully, though, I'll learn from Mr. Grumbine's video (which I ordered) the material I need to know.

Phil