PDA

View Full Version : Strong Enough For A Man, But Made For A Woman

Ryan Singer
01-02-2004, 2:52 PM
ONCE UPON A TIME...
I was visiting my girlfriend in her store and she introduced me to this lady who was interested in some long tray for her house. Of course I stepped in and said I'd be interested in making something she might like.. so, I went to my dad's shop and played around with some of his old scraps of wood. I picked out a couple different types of wood, machined them down to about the same size and thickness and then Laminated them together. Once dry, Dad helped me set up the tablesaw with a diagonal fence so that I could mill a cove on the tablesaw. I fed the laminated board through very very very slowly... and raised the saw 1/8 an inch each pass.

be careful when trying this. then I just played around with some sanders and got it pretty smooth.

so.. anyway, back to the lady.. she took it home, and it didn't work with her interior.

so I got to keep it!

you tell me what the moral of that story is...

Glenn Clabo
01-02-2004, 3:10 PM
Always design and build thing you like...just in case your coustomer doesn't and you get stuck with it? :-)

Tyler Howell
01-02-2004, 3:29 PM
$$$$$$ Always Get the Money Up front $$$$$

Ryan Singer
01-02-2004, 3:43 PM
Tyler,
you are right about that.. If I ever take this woodworking thing seriously, it will have to me more organized. I am fine with what happened since I really like the tray. ... next time money 1st

Mark Singer
01-02-2004, 3:44 PM
The furniture in the backround looks familiar...Ha,Ha
Great job and nice design!
Mark (yes relative)

Kevin Gerstenecker
01-02-2004, 3:48 PM
Find out EXACTLY what the customer wants before starting the work. That way, you and the customer are not in for any surprises. Pretty wild looking thing ya got there..........I can see where that may not go with certain Decor..........I know it won't fit in at my House! :D

Tyler Howell
01-02-2004, 4:18 PM
Nice design Ryan, I like the tray. Interesting website as well. Very creative. You will go far.

Tyler

PS Can you post another overhead view? The one in the creek is a little distorted.

T.

John Scarpa
01-02-2004, 5:42 PM
Ryan,
I love the design of the tray! Looks good on that familiar table as well. The Singer's continure to inspire.
John

Ryan Singer
01-03-2004, 2:07 AM
Here the Update for you Tyler. I hope this photo is a little clearer

Tyler Howell
01-03-2004, 8:41 AM
Even with a clear picture it is a nice design :D .
Thanks for the post. What was that ladies problem????? :mad:

TJH

Ryan Singer
01-03-2004, 8:54 PM
Tyler...:confused: Hmm. Maybe the color of the wood clashed with her curtains? I have no clue. till this day it remains a mystery :confused: :confused:

but I like my tray ;)

Kelly C. Hanna
01-11-2004, 1:25 PM
Beautiful work...I like the different colors of wood. It would work at my house....no decorator would dare set foot in here (cause I wouldn't allow it). We have an eclectic collection of furniture from several different eras....lot's of wood!