PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with this tape measure....pic

Dennis Peacock
05-07-2007, 3:55 PM
So.....a friend of mine bought a new tape measure from Wal-Mart. Says on the back that it's made in China and marketed by Wal-Mart. Now....I'm NOT stirring up a thread with foreign made products nor am I stirring the pot about Wal-Mart............Just wanted to show you that you NEED to check your tapes measures from time to time when you are buying a new one. :D

Hint: Look between the 2" and 3" markings.

Chuck Wintle
05-07-2007, 4:00 PM
The 1/4 and 1/2 inch lines are in the wrong place

Jim O'Dell
05-07-2007, 4:02 PM
Thats pretty unique. Must be from a country that does metric!:eek: :D The first time through, something caught my eye there, so I went back and counted 8ths, but counted thr right amount. Just didn't see the half " mark until I went back and read your tip. What brand is the tape measure? Jim.

ps, on further inspection, the 1/4 mark is at the 1/8 position, 1/2 mark is at the 3/8 position, and there are 2 1/8 marks together.

Mark Engel
05-07-2007, 4:03 PM
2-3/8" <> 2-1/2"

Todd Jensen
05-07-2007, 4:10 PM
Stanley or nothing for me. I know craftsman, etc, et al, may make decent stuff, but my 25' fat max is my favorite. It is consistent(helpful when you've got 4 tapes kicking around) and will last a long, long time indoors. I save walmart for toiletries and fishing gear.:)

glenn bradley
05-07-2007, 4:11 PM
It would really be a trick if when you closed it and opened it again the improper hash mark was somewhere else ;-)

Steve Rowe
05-07-2007, 4:12 PM
Hey - since it came from Wally World, I am sure it was a low price. Usually, you just get what you pay for.
Steve

Bruce Page
05-07-2007, 4:16 PM
Aw, what’s a measly 1/8 of an inch compared to cheap prices and a world market place! :p
Quit being so finicky.

Zahid Naqvi
05-07-2007, 4:22 PM
doesn't it make that tape measure a collectible :eek:

skip coyne
05-07-2007, 4:36 PM
doesn't it make that tape measure a collectible :eek:
when 47 million where made and sold at .99 then not likely to be much of a collectible market ;)

Michael Gibbons
05-07-2007, 5:21 PM
At least the inch marks are where they are supposed to be.

Jason Roehl
05-07-2007, 5:57 PM
With those crinkles in the tape, it probably doesn't matter where the markings are!

John Schreiber
05-07-2007, 6:26 PM
I think I might pick up some of those and give them as "gifts" to some people. Snicker snicker, evil laugh.

Dan Drager
05-07-2007, 6:32 PM
Simple solution. Design all your work to lay out at the full inch marks.

Gary Keedwell
05-07-2007, 6:50 PM
Use the tape as a "story pole" :D
Gary K.

Bart Leetch
05-07-2007, 6:57 PM
Simple solution. Design all your work to lay out at the full inch marks.

The whole tape is already 1/8" out before you get to 3". So anything you lay out over 2" will be off unless you burn up to 3" & what other mistakes did they make?

Steve Clardy
05-07-2007, 7:55 PM
Looks like a framers tape to me.;)

Its already screwed up, so the framer doesn't have to screw up on purpose :rolleyes: :D

Marc Prudhomme
05-07-2007, 8:03 PM
Hey I have that tape measure...AHHHHH No wonder... LOL

Bruce Benjamin
05-07-2007, 9:02 PM
I'm NOT stirring up a thread with foreign made products nor am I stirring the pot about Wal-Mart

But of course this is what the thread is turning into anyway.:rolleyes: Really, the tape is still just as useful as it was before, (if I looked at the pic correctly). There's still 1" of space between 2" and 3". The 1/8" marks are in the right spots. Just scratch off themisplacedd 1/4" and 1/2" marks and lengthen the correct marks with a pen or awl. Or...just get your money back.

Bruce

Charles McKinley
05-07-2007, 9:28 PM
This is worse than the new fractional dial calipers. All but the Starrett only mark down to eighths and all the hash marks are the same LENGTH! The Starrett is marked down to 1/16 I think. I'll spend the extra $ for the Starrett even though it to is made in China like the others. :(

fRED mCnEILL
05-08-2007, 12:26 AM
If its from China its probably made with that melamine contaminate wheat glutin in the pet food that is killing all the dogs and cats in North America.

Reg Mitchell
05-08-2007, 1:15 AM
Ya know I wasn't going to reply to this but everyone seems to keep turning their head on this subject and jokeing about it. If you rember a few weeks ago we got a lot of posin pet food from over seas. I visit other fourms and they complain about the quality of steel comming out of that country. What's next.......
Buy something Made in America and help keep a job in this country
Reg

Keith Weber
05-08-2007, 2:37 AM
I've got to go buy a few of those to give to my woodworking buddies. Now how can I buy them a tape measure without them thinking that I'm up to something?

Keith

Rod Sheridan
05-08-2007, 8:27 AM
Of course it doesn't matter that the tape is incorrect, if you always use that tape.

Too bad the metric side wasn't on the top, then you'd have a "real" tape!

Howard Rosenberg
05-08-2007, 9:53 AM
Say you're building a book case 36" wide.
Or 48" for that matter.
It's only 1/8" inch, for pity's sake.

What's an eighth of an inch over that length?
Nothing!

Don't worry about it!
Just use the darned thing!

Howard

Bruce Benjamin
05-08-2007, 10:19 AM
Why would there be any error? Unless I'm going blind the tape has the correct number of marks. It just that a some of them are incorrectly marked to the wrong length. Count the 1/8" marks. That being said, if there was an 1/8" error in a 36" wide bookcase I would think it would show up in the form of a gap somewhere. I don't see this being a problem with this tape but I think we're getting awfully interested in a tape that cost a few bucks at most.

Bruce

Or 48" for that matter.

Nothing!

Don't worry about it!

Howard

Eddie Darby
05-08-2007, 11:40 AM
Just be thankful that the markings are not in Chinese Inches instead of Imperial Inches.

John Schreiber
05-08-2007, 12:18 PM
If you want to look at the big picture on this, the folks who made it do get some of the blame. But the person who is really at fault is whoever wrote the specifications and accepted that this product met those specifications. The other person who gets a share of the blame is the consumer who accepts such poor quality.

The same is true whether you are talking tape measures, steel, power tools, or jet aircraft.

Brian Penning
05-08-2007, 2:06 PM
Or 48" for that matter.

Nothing!

Don't worry about it!

Howard

I usually have a couple of tapes hanging around. I can see myself measuring the top and bottom with 1 tape and the shelves with the other...