PDA

View Full Version : couple of new turning pics

Tom Sweeney
01-02-2004, 2:45 PM
Hey All,
I haven't posted any new work lately for 2 reasons.
1: I haven't done much :rolleyes:
2:My digital camera was out of action
Here are some pics of things I turned recently. The Cherry bowl was actually turned a while ago - Bill G might recognize it - but I was just able to d'load the pics from my camera.

First is a black (I think) cherry bowl - I sent this one to a relative in Colorado so I don't have the measurements - about 6" around at the rim I think

Next is a spalted maple ring box - I'm posting an extra pic of it cause it shows the spalting well - but I didn't have the lid all the way on so I wanted you to see the 3rd pic to show it really fits -honest

3rd is a candy dish I turned out of some type of pine. I really like how it turned out except 2 things - the grain pattern looks nice but doesn't have a good feel to it. I think it would take a lot more sanding than I have patience for to get it to feel as nice as it looks. & also for future reference - the foot is too small. I tried to stick to the 1/3 diameter rule but if you reach for a piece of candy near the rim it wants to tip on it's side.

Anyway thanks for looking - I hope to get back to the lathe in the near future.

Jim Becker
01-02-2004, 2:50 PM
Veddy, Veddy Nice, Mr. Tom! I really like that cherry piece...but I'm also partial to cherry no matter what!

Kevin Gerstenecker
01-02-2004, 2:53 PM
NICE stuff there Tom! The Cherry Bowl is really nice........beautiful form and size...............I need to a few with that design........they just have an elegant look to them. The Ring Box and the Pine Turning are really nice too. I am with you on the sanding thing..........but I am forcing myself to have more patience and sand until everything is just right. So, keep that Lathe crankin'...............I want to see some more! :D
Thanks for sharing the pic's Tom, lookin' good!

Eric Naessens
01-02-2004, 3:05 PM
Very nice pieces, Tom! I particularly like the ring box, as I have a weakness for pretty much anything made out of some good spalted maple. :) Thanks for posting the pics.

Wolf Kiessling
01-02-2004, 4:11 PM
You really can't go wrong with spalted maple so I automatically like the ring box (I'm not real wild about the design of the lid but with that wood - what the hey :) ). The cherry bowl has a real nice form, very pleasing to look at.

Wolf