PDA

View Full Version : Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
05-07-2007, 10:27 AM
Good Morning Everyone. Today is 7 May 2007.

The temps here are already way hotter than I like it. Was only 89º in the shop late yesterday afternoon.

I now have the table top of the kitchen table project machined and glued up. I'm taking pics of the whole process and will post it in it's entirety once everythings done....IF....anyone would be interested in how I made a kitchen table.

Saturday I worked at the day job....I guess everyone knows I work every Saturday at the day job...so I'll stop mentioning it.
Sunday I played bass at church. Both services and Now I'm scheduled for next Sunday as well as this Tuesday night for the National Church Conference. In all, I have 15 songs to get down by Tuesday night and one song is a mere 23 pages in length!!!! Sheesh!!!! Talk about a stretch of my abilities! :)

Today is getting things packed and shipped to the National Kidney Foundation for their soon to be held auction. I'm donating 2 turnings to help raise money for the NKF. :D

So, that's about it for me for now.

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Karl Laustrup
05-07-2007, 10:41 AM
Mornin' Dennis.

Busy weekend here with the grand daughters 13th B-Day celebrations. Her and her girlfriends all went up town [less than a mile to downtown Dells] and spent about six hours doing something. We didn't get a call from the local gendarmes, so I assume all went well.

While they were gone I did get a chance to play in the shop. I prepped some more hickory for the project I'm doing. My problem is the design keeps changing, which causes me to have to mill up more wood. That, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about building it.

Sunday the whole family was over. Somewhere around 30 I think to celebrate Tama's B-Day. Grilled some brats, hot dogs and hamburgers and did some wings also. Had a lot of other good food too and a good time was had by all. Got the grand daughter her own personalized M&M's. Kind of limited as to how much you can put on an M&M, so it said Happy 13 Tama.

Looking forward to a good week, but looks like it's going to be a wet week.

Ya'll have a good one ya' hear.

Karl

Dan Gill
05-07-2007, 10:47 AM
In between my men's group and church worship service Saturday, teaching Sunday morning, my son's 20th birthday dinner, and our house group Sunday evening, I actually managed to get all the poplar re-sawn, planed, and cut to length for 7 drawers. I dovetailed three of those and set a couple of the guides, too. Hooray for shop time! Still, it feel like I need a weekend to recover from my weekend.

Mark Pruitt
05-07-2007, 10:49 AM
Hello Dennis,

Bit of a cold snap going here. We were in the 50s both days. We'll get over it soon enough though.

'Nother weekend in the vortex for me, as I broke in a new hollowing rig from Monster Tools. Second HF is now sitting in DNA. BTW Dennis I used your suggestion in soaking the first HF, putting it in a leaf bag and setting it in a pile of shavings. Only a half gallon to soak a 9x4 HF.

Today I'm back to the "regular" job, so I can make more $$ to pour into the vortex.:rolleyes:

BTW, everyone, this is National Nurses' Week. If you know a nurse, please take time this week to thank her/him for what they do. I don't want to think about what the world would be like without caring, compassionate nurses!!!

Byron Trantham
05-07-2007, 11:01 AM
Worked in the yard............

Oh yea, I cleaned the shop a little (little being the operative here.:D

Joseph Peacock
05-07-2007, 11:05 AM
I finished a pecan bowl a couple of days ago.;)

Ted Miller
05-07-2007, 11:39 AM
Al, I need help, my shop is a disaster, I sending you a plane ticket, 20 hours worth of cutting, dominos, pocket holes and sanding since Friday night and I can't find my TS there is so much dust everywhere.

Hope everyone stayed safe...

Eddie Watkins
05-07-2007, 12:00 PM
I spent the weekend working on a house we are getting ready to sell. Put in a new floor in the kitchen, hauled trash off, cleaned some gutters, etc. Last night we were having tornadoes all around the state as was everybody else in the southern plains so didn't get a lot of sleep. They were reporting circulation within a few miles of my house or I wouldn't have been watching as much. I really need to build a storm cellar!!

Eddie

Nick Clayton
05-07-2007, 12:01 PM
shoveled 10 yards of loam........

turned a muddler on sunday morning for mojito's in the afternoon:D

Don Bullock
05-07-2007, 12:32 PM
Friday and Sunday I attended the Woodworking Show in Pomona, California. On Friday I started out by taking a seminar on sharpening. It was well done and I'm now eager to get started using more hand tools as a result. Ialso picked up some sharpening stones at the show. I went back to the show on Sunday to pick up a few items and listen to some of the presentations I missed on Friday. Saturday my wife and I spent a beautiful day by the bay in San Diego at a car show with our PT Cruiser. The weather was fantastic. We got to see some friends that we haven't had a chance to see for quite some time. One of our basset hounds went along for the trip.

Don Orr
05-07-2007, 1:29 PM
My wife and I completed our 2 weekend course at the Connecticut Valley School of Woodworking. We took Woodworking 1 where we built a Walnut jewelry box from scratch-rough sawn to completion (no finish on it yet, have to do that at home). We had a great time and my wife, who has never worked wood before did a great job. This school is very well organized and vey well equipped. No corners cut here, top quality tools all around. Excellent instructor and assistants, with personal attention anywhere needed with big empahsis on safety and accuracy. My wife now wants to take WW2, the Shaker hall table project. Did I do a bad thing-will she kick me out of my shop and take over?:eek: I learned a lot also since I am mostly a turner. Had a great time and will be going back for more, especially since it's only 2 hours from home.

glenn bradley
05-07-2007, 1:38 PM
Hit the WW show in Pomona, CA. I controlled myself very well when my dad got a brand new, in the box DW735 with two sets of extra blades, tables and the dust hood for about $30 more than I paid for my DW734. Grrrr. Last day of the last show of the year . . . some people were real flexible.

I picked up some Freud bits for a song and got to see all that stuff they don't carry around my neck of the woods; Agazzani. Laguna, Minimax, etc. I got chased away from the Lie Nielsen booth for rusting up the display while drooling. The most amazing thing I saw was while we were loading the planer at the will call pickup doors; a guy had gotten a fully assembled Powermatic long bed jointer into his minivan!!!

Oh, and I delivered a simple corner cabinet that I made for my dad's office:

Nancy Laird
05-07-2007, 1:53 PM
My wife and I completed our 2 weekend course at the Connecticut Valley School of Woodworking. ... My wife now wants to take WW2, the Shaker hall table project. Did I do a bad thing-will she kick me out of my shop and take over?:eek:

No Don, you didn't do a bad thing - now you and LOYL have a common interest and can work together in the shop. Either that or you build and set up a shop for her!!:eek:

Nancy

Dennis Peacock
05-07-2007, 2:00 PM
No Don, you didn't do a bad thing - now you and LOYL have a common interest and can work together in the shop. Either that or you build and set up a shop for her!!:eek:

Nancy

You tell him Nancy!!!!!

GOOD FOR YOU DON and the LOYL!!!!!! Don't EVER stop doing things together. ;)

Nancy Laird
05-07-2007, 2:12 PM
Don, some of the best times that hubby and I have together are in the shop--we laugh and joke and talk and solve problems while we are working together. (The only time I'm banned from the shop is around Christmas.) I'd much rather be in the shop with him than in the house doing something else--I avoid going in the house and seeing the laundry and dirty dishes!!!

Nancy

Don Bullock
05-07-2007, 3:49 PM
... Grrrr. Last day of the last show of the year . . . some people were real flexible...

You're right, it was the last Woodworking Show of the season so there were some good prices. :eek: I saw some great deals on many machines Sunday, but wasn't tempted. If next year's show turns out to be the last of the show season, I'll be prepared.;) :D

Greg Cole
05-07-2007, 4:02 PM
Managed to get most of the new deck skinned in with "trex" style decking, of course I had a lenghty "interruption" of the Red Wings game at 1pm CST. The bad guys (Sharks) lost.... and lost big time, so I hopped back on the deck and went to town!
Spent most of yesterday watching it rain, pour & rain again. So I did some vehicle maintenance to kill the time and try to NOT complain about the rain. Then again seeing what happened a few hundred miles from where I live in KS makes me glad all I whine about is rain!
FYI, if you ever change a head light in a Toyota Tacoma, be prepared to remove the entire grill. Insert joke about blankety blanking engineers!
But I did manage to get the last 5 deck "boards" down between rain drops. Having good cordless tools (Milwaukee V28's) is what these kinds of days are for. No time wasted setting up, plugging in & watching for the next wet cloud to open up on ya.
Hoping for a drier week and finishing up the deck & privacy screens.

Greg

Tyler Howell
05-07-2007, 6:44 PM
Had a couple of the new neighbors over for a little party.
All part of the master BR suite project. Easier going under ground than tearing up the concrete slab, bathroom and cabinets.
These guys were calld out for the big fire that's burning in the area.
I drove a couple of their trucks back to the shop after they left.
Pray for rain.
Play safe.

Steve Clardy
05-07-2007, 8:05 PM
Generally screwed off this weekend.:eek:
Trying to get 71 oak doors done for a cabinet job I've done, and just couldn't get in gear to get much done. :( :o

Also had two tandem axle loads of firewood logs delivered.
These will amount to about 10-12 cords of wood.
Something else I need to get done before winter, cut and split and stack firewood.:(

Zahid Naqvi
05-07-2007, 8:12 PM
Made the adjustable saw horse. (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=57494) That and some yard work. I really need to get started on the bed project, but I tried to joint some boards and due to the short length of the 6" jointer the ends kept getting tipped up, hence the redirect to the saw horse first. Hopefully now I can joint the boards for rails and foot board and start some glue ups. Time to borrow some clamps from other Arkies :rolleyes: .

Al Willits
05-07-2007, 10:16 PM
Ted, hang on with them tickets, it has not been a good weekend here. Worked Saturday, then helped the wife plant some her garden/flower stuff, and grilled a couple of steaks.....that wasn't so bad.
Sunday was tag along with the Shebeast while she wandered the gardening store, was a bit windy and I noticed a piece of the fascia was coming off, we had aluminum fascia and soffets installed a few years ago and I figured a nail or two had come loose with the high wind.

No such luck, after the required wandering and a trip by Rocklers, I drag the ladder out and and with a handful of nails I get ready to re-nail the aluminum back on......to the rotted wood...grrrr

So I spent the rest of Sunday and today removing rotted wood and cutting new fascia, and dodging the rain storms that came though today.
Almost done, tomm should do it.

One good thing though, wife mentioned how nice it worked having all the right tools to do all this... gonna make future them trips tool shopping a bit easier....:D

Al

Don Orr
05-08-2007, 12:31 PM
Nancy and Dennis,

Excellent advice, I totally agree. We are getting along better all the time. We had a great time at the school. She is a potter and quilter and has her own studio and I help her when she needs something.

We talked all the way home about the class to the point we missed our exit off the highway. Got off at the next exit to see where we were, decided we were hungry and found an excellent Indian restaurant. Even getting lost can be fun when you're together!:D

Kelly C. Hanna
05-08-2007, 8:34 PM
I was wrapping up a week's long trip to Beaver's Bend in SE OK. We camped out after staying one night in a very nice log cabin with a hot tub....best week in years!

Course it rained a bit on us and we missed the 80mph straight line winds that destroyed many a good tree in our little town, but we had a blast.

Best thing is the only tree I lost was a big POS Hackberry. Gonna have to cut it down this weekend [if I don't have to work that is]. The 250 year old Pecan and all 12 new pines made it through fine as did our 2 new Crepe Myrtels.