PDA

View Full Version : Epilog Legend Problem

Bill Jermyn
05-07-2007, 10:21 AM
I am very new to laser engraving, and have just set up my used Legend 32EX (75 Watt). I was vectoring an imposition of rectangles, and when the laser finishes a row of rectangles, it makes a disturbing noise when it quickly moves the head right to left to start the second row of the imposition. The sound appears to be coming from inside the X beam. It sounds like a belt slipping or vibrating. I am leery to open up the cover on the beam, since one of the screws is located behind the right mirror, and I'm afraid to remove the mirror for fear of mis-aligning the laser beam.

I phoned my Epilog rep, and he told me I was probably running the speed too fast, and that this machine should never be run at more than 20% speed. This sounds odd to me, since the manual suggests 100% speed for many materials. Any ideas?

Mike Null
05-07-2007, 10:44 AM
Bill:

The reference to 100% speed deals with rastering not vectoring. You should set your machine to a speed which will give you smooth lines and the cutting depth you want.

Even with rastering, 100% speed may not be possible but it will be because of achieving the desired depth.

I never vector at more than 5 and usually much less.

Joe Pelonio
05-07-2007, 10:52 AM
On a big job the vector speed makes a big difference in production time. Depending on the material I cut up to about a speed of 50% with no odd noises. For example, cutting 1/16" acrylic I run at speed 25, for card stock 50%.

Was your used machine bought from a dealer that serviced and tested it, or from a private individual? A loose x-belt will make a noise, but I'd also make sure that the x bar has been lubricated.

Dave Jones
05-07-2007, 11:45 AM
If the Legend is built anything like my Epilog Mini, as far as the X bar cover, then the cover has slots where the screws are that hold it on. You don't remove the screws, simply loosen them and the cover lifts off.

Peck Sidara
05-07-2007, 1:24 PM
I am very new to laser engraving, and have just set up my used Legend 32EX (75 Watt). I was vectoring an imposition of rectangles, and when the laser finishes a row of rectangles, it makes a disturbing noise when it quickly moves the head right to left to start the second row of the imposition. The sound appears to be coming from inside the X beam. It sounds like a belt slipping or vibrating. I am leery to open up the cover on the beam, since one of the screws is located behind the right mirror, and I'm afraid to remove the mirror for fear of mis-aligning the laser beam.

I phoned my Epilog rep, and he told me I was probably running the speed too fast, and that this machine should never be run at more than 20% speed. This sounds odd to me, since the manual suggests 100% speed for many materials. Any ideas?

Dear Bill,

I think there are many applications that you can run using 100% vector speed. However, you'll find that running curved vector cuts around the 10-20% speed range will result in great edge quality. If you're doing nothing but rectangles, then most likely something on the machine needs to be adjusted.

You can remove the I-beam cover without having to remove the right steering mirror. Just go in at an angle with a Phillips head screwdriver. Do not remove or adjust this mirror as it will affect your laser beam alignment.

The solution should be simple, I suggest removing the I-beam cover and inspect the internal parts and see if anything looks out of place. From there, adjust the x-axis belt tension as this may help with the noise.

Our technical support team can be contacted for the documentation on removing the I-beam cover, adjusting the x-axis belt tension or for step-by-step instructions on any of above. It's also possible that the y-axis belt tension may need to be adjusted for the noise.

Basically, I'm confident this can be resolved with minimal adjustments made to the machine. Just one call to our tech support group at 303.215.9171 will lead you in the right direction.

Kind regards,

Mike Null
05-07-2007, 1:51 PM
Bill
Sorry for the mis-information. I should have said in my 9 years I have never seen anything vectored at 100% speed.

Bill Jermyn
05-07-2007, 4:47 PM
Perhaps my question was not clear. I was not asking about recommeded rastering or vectoring speeds, it concerned the loud vibration noise that was occurring on the machine retracing right-to-left, for example between the cutting of 2 horizontal lines (the speed of which apparently has nothing to do with the speed of the cutting).

Anyway, a tensioning of the X-belt and cleaning and re-greasing of the X-axis bearing rail helped considerably. Thanks, everyone for your input.