PDA

View Full Version : Trotec CDR Puzzle

Keith Outten
05-07-2007, 8:01 AM
This is one of the best vector files I have seen and a good test of your machines capability to cut very fine detail vector lines. Trotec sent me the file as a sample business card which I think is very slick, cut and engraved from 1/8" acrylic. It's not really a puzzle since only one piece is removable.

The center star and half of the maze is removable, something that most people will not expect.

Steve McKee
05-07-2007, 9:00 AM
Looks interesting Keith, I'll have to give it a try.

Ed Lang
05-07-2007, 9:34 AM
Keith,

Is this the file for the card you showed me at the ShopBot Kitty Hawk camp?

ed

Keith Outten
05-07-2007, 9:52 AM
Ed,

Yes, this is the same file. I was crusing my old hard drive files this morning and found the file. I can bet almost every engraver here will give it a try :)

Because of the detail in the maze it can be a bit fragile so be patient when removing the center the first time. Grab the square area in the middle between the thumb and index finger and wiggle slightly to get it to drop out.

I have a feeling that these could be enlarged and used for lots of projects and show displays.

Thanks again to Trotec for sending the file.

Michael Kowalczyk
05-07-2007, 8:49 PM
Hey Keith,
thanks for posting it. I have one of the original ones I picked up before I bought our Trotec. I would love to hear how others laser machines produce this one and if the fit is as nice as the original. many people that come into my office have fun with it. I am not sure but I would think that they produced the final pieces in their TROCAM software. It has the ability to define whether your laser cuts on, to the left or to the right of your vector. Defining this allows the kerf to be precise for inlays. I am still trying to get a demo of it to test it for myself and see how much more advantageous it is over Corel Draw X3 for vector files. There are many other features that allow significantly more control of your laser than Corel Draw and your standard laser drivers alone. But there is a price to pay for that much control and I think, IMHO, it can only be justified with production runs to achieve a good to great ROI. Is anyone using it?

Thanks,

Ed Maloney
05-08-2007, 8:49 AM
I ran one of these on some scrap I had and it worked great on my Epilog 35W. I broke a piece off when I was pulling the backing off, but otherwise the "puzzle" part does come out and fits back in nicely. No play in it at all.

Bill Cunningham
05-08-2007, 9:09 PM
Is this file in X3, or a version everyone can use?

Keith Outten
05-08-2007, 10:34 PM
Bill,

What version of Corel Draw are you using? I can export it for you.

James Stokes
05-09-2007, 6:21 AM
I have corel 11, but if you would post the file as version 7 everyone should be able to open.

Craig Hogarth
05-10-2007, 1:05 AM
I can't do it without it remelting back together. Anyone got any suggestions for settings?

Keith Outten
05-10-2007, 4:09 AM
I have corel 11, but if you would post the file as version 7 everyone should be able to open.

Here is the Corel Draw version 7 file.

Jim Good
05-10-2007, 4:18 PM
I first did the puzzle using 100% power and 30% speed on my Epilog mini24 - 35 watts. It did not go all the way through. I think this particular piece of birch is especially hard to cut through. I dropped it to 25% speed (and still 100% power) and it did a fine job minus a little smoke residue. A little time with the palm sander should fix that. The puzzle piece slid right out!

Michael Kowalczyk
05-10-2007, 5:04 PM
I can't do it without it remelting back together. Anyone got any suggestions for settings?

Hey Craig,
Sounds like you are trying to use a plastic/acrylic material. The original sample I have is a 3mm hardwood with a laminate top. The cut out and the outside part are different colors. I will try to post a picture of it soon. sorry you had a meltdown:eek: but I think those maze lines are too thin and with the laser hitting both sides... that will do it.

Thanks,

Dave Jones
05-10-2007, 7:07 PM

Do you have air assist on?

Bill Cunningham
05-10-2007, 7:44 PM
It loads fine into Corel 12!
I thought I was going to get a bit of remelting when I tried this but nope.. The was into a old,old piece of '2-plex' don't know where I got it, It's not laser friendly, but it did this ok
Power 100, Speed 15 freq. 2500
I also made it bigger, and cut it into some baltic birch
power 100, speed 5, freq. 5000.. Probably could have went a lot faster, but the wood I had was warped about 1/8"
on a 35 watt Epilog 24TT

This is a cool file...

Ed Maloney
05-10-2007, 7:46 PM
I just followed the Epilog recommendation for 1/8 acrylic which is for 400DPI:

Raster: S100/P65
Vector: S12/P100/F5000

Willem Parel
07-01-2007, 4:14 PM
I'm trying to move to Paint Shop Pro Photo XI - opening/importing CDR X3 files is not supported - advised is saving the file as a CDR Version 9 file.
In this thread there is a X3 and version 7 file.
Could someone please save the maze as a CorelDraw version 9 file?

Gary Hair
07-01-2007, 6:49 PM
I just ran it using 3/32" Red Alder (laserbits) and it turned out perfect! I used 30 w and 1.2 ips to cut it. It was funny, even though I knew what part of it came out, it still surprised me when it did... I'll have to work on my own design using this concept, I really like it!

Thanks for posting this.

Gary

Gary Hair
07-01-2007, 7:16 PM
I just tried another using Rowmark - wow! I used smart fill on the center piece and rastered that first, then I vectored the rest. I used black foreground/gold background - turned out great!

Gary

Jim Watkins
07-03-2007, 12:00 AM
Thanks Keith.
Worked out great even on my scrap birch ply.

vector 25 speed / 100 pwr / 500 FQ.

Keith Outten
07-03-2007, 7:19 AM
Willem,

Here is your Trotec Puzzle saved in Corel Draw V9.

Carol VanArnam
07-04-2007, 1:46 AM
Why is it called a puzzle? I know it's a silly question but I don't get it....

Bill Cunningham
07-05-2007, 9:24 PM
Why is it called a puzzle? I know it's a silly question but I don't get it....

Take it apart, spin the pieces around a few times, then put it back together... Unless you luck right out, it won't happen on the first try!

Jim Watkins
07-05-2007, 9:37 PM
my experience is that I could turn it around to any position and it still fit. I left it that way to show people how accurate the cut was and the grain pattern is obvious.

Bill Cunningham
07-05-2007, 11:38 PM
Gee! I turned mine 90deg to the right, and had to fiddle around and turn it to put it back together.. Perhaps size has something to do with it? The ones I made are pretty small, or perhaps it's my big clumsy fingers:p