PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Base

Jack Clay
05-07-2007, 7:46 AM
I am looking for a mobile base for Powermatic 87 bandsaw that I am restoring. I can build if anyone has a plan they like. I looked at new but I had trouble finding one to support 1200 pound weight of the saw. I have also looked at air casters but from what I have read they are difficult to make and are a little unstable. This is the first tool I have restored so any help I would appreciate.

Rick Lizek
05-07-2007, 8:29 AM
HTC makes bases to support such weights. It's a pretty simple project. Mounting appropriate casters on simple 4" x 4" bunks and bolting it to the cabinet base. Installing some large nuts welded to washers and threaded rods with knobs to lock the unit in place during use. We have a 24" Delta planer on casters like this. Moves quite easily.

Bernhard Lampert
05-07-2007, 9:30 AM
Take a look at Zambus Casters (zambus.com). They are well made, but a bit expensive. I have all my equipment mounted on these casters, including a 2,300 lbs vertical milling machine. The casters perform flawlessly and include leveling feet.

Cheers,
Bernhard

Doug Shepard
05-07-2007, 11:24 AM
Take a look at Zambus Casters (zambus.com)....

What he said. I just stuck a set under my MM16 a few weeks ago. The saw rolls so easily now, my mother could move the saw (assuming I let her touch it:D )

Jack Clay
05-08-2007, 7:55 AM
Thanks for the help.