PDA

View Full Version : Chainsaw advice

Mike Goodwin
02-28-2003, 10:45 PM
I am in the market for a chainsaw and I know very little about them. I found a used Husq 50 16" for $200. It seemed to be in good shape and started up right away. I have also been looking at some Stihls like the Farm Boss 16 and the Wood Boss 16.

Any experience with these? What should I be looking for? I don't mind spending the money for a decent saw but I'm also not going to be a lumber jack. I will mostly cut pine for firewood and aspen for log furniture.

Thanks,

Mike

Bob Lasley
02-28-2003, 10:50 PM
Mike,

I haven't used a chainsaw in awhile, but used to heat with wood and cut many a cord of wood with a Stihl. I couldn't wear it out. They are worth every penny.

JMO
Bob

Dr. Zack Jennings
02-28-2003, 10:59 PM
I bought mine for $119 at Wally World. I just use it for storm damage, etc. My friends think it's a good one. I hope my friends don't wear it out or forget to return it. <p>
If I was going to really use one a lot. I would buy a better one. Thing is, if you keep your reciept and wear it out real quik, Wally World will give you a refund. Don't get no money back gaurentee on used.

Rob Russell
02-28-2003, 11:07 PM
Either a good Husky or Stihl would be a great saw. I've got a Stihl 044 and it's done anything I've ever asked it to. To me, the important thing isn't as much <i><b>which</b></i> saw to buy, but <i><b>where</b></i> to buy the saw. Find a local place that services saws. You can probably find a good used/rebuilt saw from them. If not, pay them the $25 for a thorough checkout of a saw you find somewhere. Unless you're a great 2-cycle mechanic (and I'm not), it seems like one of those times to pay someone for their expertise. You'll pay a little bit more for the saw buying from a shop, but I'd rather know that the saw's in good shape than have it throw a rod in the middle of a cut because the previous owner beat it and I couldn't tell that.

Just my .02 :D ... Rob

Mike Mastin
02-28-2003, 11:19 PM
I have a big Husky (XP372 74cc of raw horsepower) and know quite a few loggers that have traded in the old Stihl's for Husky's over the past few years. I have a friend that cuts veneer logs and he said that his Husky's have better horsepower for the weight and much lower maintenance than his big Stihl's used to be. Stihl makes a great saw, no doubt though.

The newer Husky's force the exhuast past the air intake to keep debris away from the aircleaner. The air filters are also a bit less expensive on the Husky's vs the Stihl typically too.

I can saw through a big Mesquite or Bois d'Arc tree in nothing flat. I used to use a 43cc chainsaw, but I was falling a bunch or big Red Cedar a few years ago and was getting worn out. I cut almost three times as many Red Cedar in one day as I ever did with the little chainsaw :-)

Either brand is a workhorse and for your intended purposes, will be more than satisfactory I would think.

Chris Damm
03-01-2003, 7:30 AM
I replaced my 27 year old Pro-Mac 10-10 for a Husky 55 Rancher a few years ago and have been very happy with it. The saws were about the same size but the Husky runs 2500 rpms faster. What a difference! Chris:D

John Wadsworth
03-01-2003, 9:07 AM
I have a Stihl, but Huskies are fine saws. I would want to make sure that whoever your really good local saw fixer is can service what you get--unless that's you, of course! (Not I--two-stroke engines aren't my thing).

Angelo Schembari
03-01-2003, 9:59 AM
I've got a Husky, and have used many a Stihl. Both are good. See if you can get the Husky serviced locally. I know for a while I lived in an area that had no Husky dealers around and it was a PITA.

Angelo

Mike Goodwin
03-01-2003, 10:00 AM
I was just out on the Husqvarna web site checking the saw models. I was asked to enter my home country and I found out that USA is one country and California is another. With all due respect to the left coasters, I've often thought that was the case.

I appreciate everyone's advice. I'm going out today to price the Husqvarnas then make a decision. I want to get a saw that will last me a very long time.

Great advice by Rob, owning a saw also means servicing a saw and I will definitely check out the dealers who service.

Mike

Paul Kunkel
03-01-2003, 10:06 AM
:) FWIW, I've had my Husky since 1974. Used it comercially for 2 yrs, and just firewood since. It still runs strong. Will I buy another? I doubt it- don't think I.ll live long enough!

Bob Boake
03-01-2003, 1:27 PM
I think you mentioned 2 pro quality brands but also the most expensive. Echo is a step down but is good saw and less expensive. Homelite (I own a 16") is a homeowner grade saw.

Inactivity the worst thing for these saws. I think you are supposed to run the gas tank dry after use if you don't operate frequently. Elec chain saws lack the power to be usefull so I'm told.

Dave Crabbs
03-01-2003, 7:37 PM
I just bought a Husqvarna model:350 though I have not used it yet I have a question. I was reading the owners manual and they recommend using there brand of bar oil... Is bar oil - bar oil or is there a difference in brands? I have used chain saws and used what ever brand of bar oil we had at the time.
Thanks
Dave

John Longwitz
03-01-2003, 8:42 PM
Originally posted by bob boake
I think you mentioned 2 pro quality brands but also the most expensive. Echo is a step down but is good saw and less expensive. Homelite (I own a 16") is a homeowner grade saw.

Inactivity the worst thing for these saws. I think you are supposed to run the gas tank dry after use if you don't operate frequently. Elec chain saws lack the power to be usefull so I'm told.

...like most other stuff...come in various power categories. I have one that is fully capable of handling most homeowner needs if the extension cord is long enough. If you are cutting up or felling stuff 12" diameter or smaller it might be the way to go. The nice thing about them is that you plug 'em in and they go. I also have a 20" Stihl MS260 Pro for heavier cutting but the electric is great for all the lighter tasks.

Paul B. Cresti
03-02-2003, 12:20 AM
Mike,
I recently purchased my first (own) chain saw. I went with the Stihl MS270c. The dealer I purchased it form suggested to with an 18inch bar on it though and I did. It is very well balanced saw and so far with my limited use I like it.
Hope this helps,
Paul B. Cresti

Tim Spickler
03-03-2003, 7:08 AM
FInd a local saw/Lawn mower repair shop and look for a used saw. A few years ago, I bought a used McCullough for $125. It has a 20" bar and cuts everything I need it to cut. I don't heat with wood, just use it for clean up and the like so I couldn't justify spending large dollars on a new saw.