PDA

View Full Version : first post and first plane pic

gregory sprouls
05-07-2007, 1:39 AM
64133 Hello everyone, this is my first post and plane I'm learning a great deal from all the great people who use this site, I wish I had found this site long ago! This plane was picked up at a yard sale for 15.00 bucks I would love to get some input on the use of it and weather I should do anything to it or just use it is as is? it is a 608 bedrock. After seeing some of the planes you guys have found at yard sales I told my mom and dad to keep an eye out on their weeked garage sale rounds.

gregory sprouls
05-07-2007, 2:12 AM
64134 here is another angle i think this is the date?

gregory sprouls
05-07-2007, 2:57 AM
64135 one last shot of the front

Tim Nylander
05-07-2007, 6:36 AM
I hear the suck police coming down the road to get you........

Nice score, those are the ones you always hope you find when you see a yard sale sign.

Terry Bigelow
05-07-2007, 8:10 AM
$15.00???????????? Isn't that stealing? Welcome to the creek.

Tyler Howell
05-07-2007, 8:26 AM
Welcome to the Creek Gregory,
Yes, you suck!!!
That's a great find.
Your 608 isn't an every day user but a great tool for Jointing lumber.
Seach the archives here on sharpening & tuning. There is a wealth of information

Chuck Hamman
05-07-2007, 12:50 PM
What should you do to it? From the looks of it I would say sharpen the blade and have at it! I have a 608 as well, but I beat even your price: mine was FREE! I love it, it makes me grunt when I lift it out of the cabinet.
Good find.

-Chuck

Mark Stutz
05-07-2007, 1:20 PM
What should you do to it? Send it to me! I'll even pay shipping! Seriously, nice price on a very nice plane. I wouldn't do much, except maybe work on the blade, cap iron , and chip breaker. They may not need much more than a little steel wool for the rust. I wouldn't touch the body unless the sole is not flat. #8's are heavy but I really like the extra weight and mass when flattening panels.

BTW, Welcome to the Creek. Looks like you slipped down the slope without any help from us!

Mark

gregory sprouls
05-07-2007, 11:24 PM
thanks for the replys, I think I will just sharpen this one up and go for it and wait for a rusty one to redo completely. Do you guys think gun oil is ok to use on hand planes to keep them rust free? also what effect does putting new paint and shining a plane up have on the value, is it better to leave them alone or redo them? thanks in advance, I cant wait for next weekend to go hunting for more planes!

Charles McKinley
05-08-2007, 10:18 AM
Welcome Gregory,

And a hearty Neander "YOU SUCK!"

Great score on the plane.