PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong in these pictures?

Cary Swoveland
05-06-2007, 10:57 PM
Some are obvious, others less so.

Cary

Mike Langford
05-06-2007, 11:15 PM
.....Other than nobody using all those expensive tools?

Are you hiding under the table? I see someone's thumb sticking through the table and holding that piece of plywood.....Wah' sup wif dat? ;)

Gary Keedwell
05-06-2007, 11:48 PM
Some are obvious, others less so.

Cary
Well, I have a few minutes before I retire for the nite.
1st pic looks like you are going to saw into your miter.
2nd pic band saw blade on backwards?
3rd pic tool rest on lathe on wrong side?
Oh well....I'm tired now....Good nite!!!:o
Gary K.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-07-2007, 1:17 AM
4th.....sawblade in backwards?
5th......bit in drill backwards?

Cary Swoveland
05-07-2007, 1:42 AM
Six correct so far.

Mike Langford was first to spot the digital clamp (finger, not thumb, but I'll give it* to you, Mike.)

Gary Randall noticed I was about to run the miter into into the table saw blade. That was close. I have a Sawstop, so that would have fried the safety cartridge and blade. Gary also suggested the bandsaw blade was in backward. Partial credit only. Lastly, he noticed that the tool rest was on the wrong side of the lathe. Right again (though I expect some may cry foul, pointing out that my lathe can be run backwards).

Eagle eye Ken Fitzgerald noticed that the blade in the circular saw is in backwards, and the drill bit is upside down.

Some of the remaining no-nos are product-specific, so if you don't own the product, you're at a disadvantage. Sorry, but I could only think up so many generic ones.

Keep 'em coming.

You're not even half way there.

Cary

* Credit, that is, not the finger.

Ken Milhinch
05-07-2007, 4:02 AM
4th pic If you continue with that cut on the plunge cut saw, you are going to meet some metal at the end of the cut.
5th pic; Those pocket holes are going to be in a strange place.

Gary Herrmann
05-07-2007, 4:47 AM
5 - is that a drill bit in the router?
6 - I think the wood is too thin - the bit will go all the way thru the board

Bill Lewis
05-07-2007, 5:51 AM
Cutting inside circles on a Bandsaw with no entry point.
Ths splitter doesn't look like it is in line with the blade on the saw.

Gary Keedwell
05-07-2007, 7:31 AM
Gary Randall?????????
Gary K.:rolleyes:

PS......Drill works better when plugged in.

Dick Bringhurst
05-07-2007, 7:50 AM
Band Saw blade on backwards. Dick B.

Mark Ebert
05-07-2007, 8:00 AM
Bandsaw tension should be tighter than shown.
Dust cyclone intake going into top?

Gary Herrmann
05-07-2007, 8:14 AM
I'm thinking thats a scroll saw blade on the bandsaw.

Randal Stevenson
05-07-2007, 10:01 AM
1 No Guard used on the tablesaw (besides the forementioned ones).
A lot of tools left out when not in use (sander on the bench, etc), lot's of distractions

2 besides the backwards blade flex, couldn't you lower that guard some?

3 looks like your router table has plane shavings (need a shave?). Looks like the kreg is set for 2x material. Unplugged tools, lying in others ways, backwards saw blade (mentioned), collet and wrench lying there (is the wrong bit in the router tightened, or just in a sleeve)

4 Unplugged drill putting strain on an upside down drill bit in a Kreg set for thicker material. And it looks like you have the table pulled up next to something where you can't easily even reach the drill.

Tom Jones III
05-07-2007, 10:08 AM
My first thoughts:
#1 besides the miter gauge the main problem is there is no blade guard.
#2 You have lose crap on the BS table while you are working
#3 Too much junk on the workbench leads to accidents
#4 When you cut off your finger you forgot to pick it up.

skip coyne
05-07-2007, 10:22 AM
wheres WALDO ? ;)

Jack Norfleet
05-07-2007, 10:22 AM
Picture 3, the hoses are reversed on the dust deputy. The tool hose should go into the side, and the vac hose should attach to the top.

Bill Huber
05-07-2007, 10:46 AM
The biggest thing that I see wrong is that most of those tools are not in my shop....

Now that is easy to fix, just pack them up and ship them my way....

Glen Blanchard
05-07-2007, 11:13 AM
I see a nice Festool circ saw, a Festool router and a SawStop. Hmmm. Wait.....I know....no Domino!!!

Mark Pruitt
05-07-2007, 11:23 AM
3rd pic: You have a lathe but appear to be actually using other tools. Whassup with dat?:mad:

Glen Blanchard
05-07-2007, 11:33 AM
3rd and 5th pic. Are you attempting to drill that pocket hole without having the drill plugged in?

Gary Keedwell
05-07-2007, 12:55 PM
3rd and 5th pic. Are you attempting to drill that pocket hole without having the drill plugged in?
:D What is really interesting is seeing the same answers more then once.:)
Only KIdddinggggggggggggg :>) :eek: :D :) :) :) :)
Gary K.

Cary Swoveland
05-07-2007, 2:02 PM
Time to take stock again. Four more identified since last night.

First, what we had yesterday:

#1 Digital clamp. (Mike Langford)

#2 Mitre on TS will be cut by blade. (Gary Randall)

#3 Blade on bandsaw backward. (Gary Randall)

#4 Tool rest set up on wrong side of lathe (Gary Randall)

#5 Circular saw blade backward. (Ken Fitzgerald)

#6 Drill bit upside down. (Ken Fitzgerald)

Additional no-nos identified today:

#7 About to cut off the end of the aluminum fence with portable circular saw. (Ken Mihinch)

#8 Pocket hole setup wrong. (Ken Mihinch)

#9 Cannot cut circles on bandsaw without entry point. (Bill Lewis)

#10 Hoses on Dust Deputy reversed. (Mark Ebert)

Gary Herrmann: that's not a drill bit in the router. It's an upcut spiral router bit. No, the wood's not too thin. It's just right. It's the pocket hole setup that's wrong. Ken was first. And no, that's not a scroll saw blade in the bandsaw. Scroll saw blades are much thinner, and not long enough to go around the wheels.

Bill Lewis: that's an optical illusion. The riving knife is in line with the blade.

Gary Reedwell: you asked if the drill wouldn't work better if it were plugged in. The answer is no. Sorry for misspelling your name.

Dick Bringhurst: I will not tolerate cheating. Gary Heedwell reported that yesterday.

Mark Hebert: no, increasing the blade tension on the bandsaw won't help.

Randall Stevenson: you (and others) pointed out that there is no guard on the tablesaw. I don't need no stinkin' guard. It's a Sawstop! Yes, I could lower the bandsaw guard, but I won't. You nailed it that the Kreg jig has the 2X spacer in place for 1-1/2"+ material, yet the board is only 3/4". Still, no credit. Already answered. Yes, there are a lot of tools I'm not using scattered around. What's the point? I thought everybody did that. Actually, what's wrong is that you don't see a lot of wood scraps, glue, glue sticks, clamps, screws, screwdrivers, paper.... (oops, I gave that one away).

Tom Jones: I'll get that finger when I clean up my bench, sometime next week.

Skip Coyne: you don't recognize that finger?

Jack Norfleet: another cheater. You've been talking to Ebert.

Bill Huber: how do I know you deserve them?

Glen Blanchard: I tried to think of a no-no for my Domino... As I mentioned elsewhere, plugging in the drill wouldn't help.

Mark Pruitt: you've made an incorrect assumption. Just because a guy owns a tool, doesn't means he actually uses it. It might just be for the mantle, or for making pics like these. And who says I use that lathe?

Gary Keedwell: sorry for mis-spelling your name.

There are still more than five left, including one really easy one.

Cary

Jim Chilenski
05-07-2007, 2:52 PM
Kreg hold down clamp interferes with the ability to sand the board under the ROS?

Jim

Art Mulder
05-07-2007, 2:55 PM
- guard on bandsaw is set too high, should be 1-2" lower.
- Hey, isn't there a dust port on your kreg jig? Odd.

Justin McCurdy
05-07-2007, 2:58 PM
Pic3: Isn't the Kreg clamp in the wrong position to actually be clamping the wood? I thought the handle needed to be behind as opposed to on top of the clamp in order to push the clamping rod forward.

Glen Blanchard
05-07-2007, 3:43 PM
There are still more than five left, including one really easy one.

Cary

How 'bout a hint? Which photos have unresolved issues?

Mark Pruitt
05-07-2007, 3:49 PM
Just because a guy owns a tool, doesn't means he actually uses it. It might just be for the mantle, or for making pics like these. And who says I use that lathe?
LOL!:p Come to think of it, that spindle blank IS still square.:D

Cary Swoveland
05-07-2007, 4:49 PM
How 'bout a hint? Which photos have unresolved issues?

OK, Glen, but I really hate to do that. There's still at least one in pic #1 and at least one in pic #3.

Cary

Glen Blanchard
05-07-2007, 5:03 PM
In pic #1 - is the blade too low to make a through cut?

Bert Johansen
05-07-2007, 5:05 PM
The power cord is draped over the clamp such that it will cut off the cord when released.

Mark Ebert
05-07-2007, 5:11 PM
In photo 3, it appears the Kreg jig isn't clamped to the work surface.
In photo 1, it may be an optical illusion, but it looks like the sliding table would interfere with the bandsaw... Hmm.

-Mark

Gary Keedwell
05-07-2007, 5:31 PM
:eek: No adult beverages????:(

Gary K.

Cary Swoveland
05-07-2007, 5:56 PM
How 'bout a hint?..
OK, Glen. Here's one:

Cary

Glen Blanchard
05-07-2007, 6:05 PM
Ahhhh, the old jigsaw blade in the bandsaw trick. Someone guessed that it was a scroll saw blade. Close, but no cigar.

Dave Sabo
05-07-2007, 8:35 PM
Is that an air driven palm sander with an electric cord hanging on it???

Tim Wagner
05-07-2007, 9:55 PM
None of those tools will plug in here in the US. different plugs.

Ray Bersch
05-07-2007, 11:01 PM
Your Kreg jig is not plugged in!!

And you have far too much money to spend on tools.

Rob Blaustein
05-07-2007, 11:39 PM
Festool circ saw is missing the green gizmo that helps give clean cuts (and/or missing the dust shroud). Kreg clamp not fully engaged/locked (should be pointing towards the piece but I thought it ends up horiz to table when clamped). Also, that doesn't look like a Kreg bit (mine isn't black). Your Jessem Mast-R-Slide is red. That means you didn't get it at Rockler--which means you paid more than you had to since one can buy it using the 25% off coupon that they have from time to time.

mark page
05-07-2007, 11:45 PM
I'm still trying to find Waldo!!
Dang, Skip beat me to it

max pierce
05-07-2007, 11:47 PM
In picture 3 - I have a hard time drilling pocket screw holes with a screw gun (driver)

Rick Christopherson
05-07-2007, 11:59 PM
A Dynabrade sander doesn't need a power cord. (Oh, didn't see David's posting until I finished mine)
The speed control on the One-way is pointing the same direction as the tool rest--backward
Actually, #9 is not necessarily incorrect because some bandsaws come with built-in welders.
The spiral cutter in the router is backward for thre rotation of the router.
This is meaningless because we don't know what the power cord is supposed to be for, but it is nevertheless a 240 volt plug draped over the table, implying it is from the drill.
Even though the vac hose to your ATF 55E is the wrong size, no one can fault you for that because it did not have a very good port on it to begin with, and your hose probably works better than the standard 27mm. If this was the newer TS55, then this would have been more obvious.
Can't tell what the tool is, but you left the door open on the General International tool behind the tablesaw.

max pierce
05-08-2007, 12:05 AM
Couple more guesses-
I don't have a mft but to make that cut I would need to have a support stock under the guide rail
Is that an 1/2 inch collet lying around a 1400

Ole Anderson
05-08-2007, 12:44 PM
Do you really want a saw groove in your nice dust collection table when you make the cut with your Festool Circ Saw (presuming a thru cut)?

Cary Swoveland
05-08-2007, 2:34 PM
Time to wrap this up. Here's the complete list of things wrong (as I intended, anyway), including #1-#10 identified previously and one (#15) that no one noticed:

#1 Digital clamp. (Mike Langford)
#2 Mitre on TS will be cut by blade. (Gary Keedwell)
#3 Blade on bandsaw is a backward, upside-down jigsaw blade. (Gary Keedwell & Gary Herrmann)
#4 Tool rest set up on wrong side of lathe (Gary Keedwell)
#5 Circular saw blade backward. (Ken Fitzgerald)
#6 Drill bit upside down. (Ken Fitzgerald)
#7 About to cut off the end of the aluminum fence with portable circular saw. (Ken Mihinch)
#8 Pocket hole setup wrong. (Ken Mihinch)
#9 Cannot cut circles on bandsaw without entry point. (Bill Lewis)
#10 Hoses on Dust Deputy reversed. (Mark Ebert)
#11 Pneumatic (Dynabrade) ROS doesn't have a power cord. (Dave Sabo)
#12 Drill is 120 volt, but has plug for 240 volts, 20 amps. (Tim Wagner)
#13 Flutes on spiral router bit twist in the wrong direction. (Rick Christopherson)
#14 Festool OF 1000 router does not take a 1/2" collet. (Max Pierce)
#15 Riving knife on TS is postioned too high. (Nobody)

RE #15: The top of the riving knife is above the top of the blade. To permit non-through cuts, riving knives should be positioned so the top is no higher than the top of the blade. I thought other Sawstop owners would certainly notice this, because the knife can only be installed in a single positon (once the saw has been set up). I had to use a little wooden wedge to hold the knive in the position shown in the pic.

Some comments follow.

Gary Herrmann: I think you deserve co-winner status with your observation that blade in the bandsaw is not a band saw blade, even though you thought it was a scroll saw blade, where in fact it was a jig saw blade.

Jim Chilenski: I already sanded that part of the board.

Ray Bersch: The Kreg jig is plugged in. You just can't see the cord clearly.

Art Mulder: I have the Mark I Kreg jig. It was handed down from my grandfather to my father, then to me. No dust port.

Justin McCurdy: I understand those things you mentioned were changed in Kreg's Mark II model.

Glen Blanchard: It's hard to tell in the pic, but the blade is high enough.

Bert Johansen: I wasn't sure what you suggested was true, so I ask my wife to release that clamp, and nothing happened.

Rick Christopherson: 1. Yes, it's a Dynabrade ROS. But according to the official rules... 2. Yes, the speed control is rotated around, but still perfectly functional whichever side you're on. 3. Good point about the welder, except why would you want to use a welder on a jigsaw blade? 4. I was beginning to think no one would notice that the flutes on the spiral router bit were backwards. Congratulations! I bought that (Whiteside) bit for a mortiser on a combo machine, whose spindle turned in the direction opposite to that of a router. 5. Good eye, but Tim Wagner reported the problem plug two hours and four minutes earlier. Rules are rules. 6. Maybe it's time for an upgrade. 7. That's a GI 6"x89" edge belt sander, an extremely useful tool that I use all the time. I just went down to the shop and closed that door.

Mark Ebert: Kreg jig is clamped down fine, bandsaw just moved over by the TS to be in the pic.

Gary Keedwell: A place for everything and everything in its place.

Dave Sabo: It's a ROS, but that's close enough. I don't mean to be insulting, but this is the "really easy one" I spoke of.

Tim Wagner: Yes, but I'm in Canada. Also, it is a North American plug (for 240 volts, 20 amps). And you said "none of those tools will plug in...", yet one of the stationery tools in the background has that same plug. So, do you get credit? I thought long and hard about that. I feel generous today. I'll give it to you.

Rob Blaustein: My discontinued, completely out-of-date ATF 55 circ saw doesn't have a gizmo of any color, nor a dust shroud. Definitely time for an upgrade. My Mark I Kreg jig clamps as shown. Not a Kreg bit, but the same size, and cuts just as well when chucked upside down. How do you know that I didn't buy the Rock-R-Slide and paint it red?

Mark Page: Waldo is under the table. I was sure somebody would recognize his finger.

Max Pierce: Actually, that's a 20-year-old corded drill, much better for drilling pocket holes than a cordless. No support is required here. Yes, that's a 1/2" collet, as you can see when comparing it to the 20mm (about 3/4") dog holes. It is from the Festool OF 1400, but the point is--and I'm sure this is what you were implying--the OF 1000 router shown does not take a 1/2" collet. (Nor does the current model, the OF 1100.) Very good.

Ole Anderson: It's a lot more convenient to cut grooves than to always put a sacrificial piece under.

Thanks to all for participating.

Cary

Gary Keedwell
05-08-2007, 5:31 PM
This is a minor issue but there is NO Gary Randall....It is Gary Keedwell:D

Cary Swoveland
05-08-2007, 7:21 PM
This is a minor issue but there is NO Gary Randall....It is Gary Keedwell:D
My apologies, Gary. Too much cut and paste. Just fixed my last post.

Cary

Gary Keedwell
05-08-2007, 8:46 PM
My apologies, Gary. Too much cut and paste. Just fixed my last post.

Cary

:D :D :D :D Its all about the Archives. :rolleyes:

Gary K.

Ken Milhinch
05-08-2007, 9:03 PM
Well done Carey, that was a good bit of fun.:)

Rick Christopherson
05-08-2007, 9:42 PM
Rick Christopherson: 7. That's a GI 6"x89" edge belt sander, an extremely useful tool that I use all the time. I just went down to the shop and closed that door. Hey, if you had to go back down to the shop to close the door, then I think this deserves to be number 16, even if you hadn't planned on it!

For that matter, when you finally go to use your lathe (obviously its never been turned on before because it looks too nice) are you going to turn the speed control to face you or not?

Fess-up! You missed a couple yourself! :D

Bert Johansen
05-09-2007, 12:08 AM
Cary, thanks for the fun! We "southerners" (lower 48ers) need a break now and then. Very clever--and educational, too.