PDA

View Full Version : How can I anchor an adjustable top on a shop cabinet?

Jim O'Dell
05-06-2007, 9:38 PM
I will be building 2 benches on a 24' long wall in the shop. Each bench will be 10'1' long and 21" deep. Only about 13" needs to be adjustable. And by adjustable, I'm talking about the ability to have enough movement to level them out an make them co-planer. I will have a 3 1/2' space or so between them that I can use multiple tools at. For instance: SCMS, lunchbox planer, downdraft sanding station, kreg pocket screw station, scroll saw, router, and I'm sure many more I haven't dreamed of yet. The basic structure will have the front 13" at the level of the TS, then the back 8" will bump up for a built in stationary fence. This will not move.The reason so deep is I will have a 6" duct coming down the wall that will pass through here for the cyclone hookup for what ever tool is being used. I plan on using 2 layers of 3/4" MDF for the top, that will be covered in plastic laminate. I will have 2 mechanical leveling bolts at multiple places. One will pull down on the top, the other push up on the top to make the adjustments I need. I will use T-nuts located between the layers to pull on, and a metal plate where a bolt pushes on to raise up.
But I can't figure out how to keep the top in place. Short pieces of T-track anchored vertically to the base and slide bolt attached to the back of the top? This would allow one more tie down point to keep it where I leveled it. Any other ideas? THANKS!! Jim.