PDA

View Full Version : Edge-Trimming Planes

Phil Winn
05-06-2007, 9:35 PM
My lovely wife wants to buy me a gift.....thinking about Edge-Trimming Plane(s)....
1. Lie-Nielsen Bronze Edge Plane--right handed and left handed-95RH and 95LH;
2. Lie-Nielsen Skew Block Plane with Nicker Right and Left Handed--
Also available in Iron......140....;
3. Veritas Iron Edge-Trimming Plane-Right Handed and Left-Handed
05P03.01...(Lee Valley);
4. Veritas Bronze Edge-Trimming Plane----05P02.05---;
5. The Veritas Iron Edge Trimming Planes are available in A2 and O2 steel;
one is softer and easier to sharpen, the other is harder and harder to sharpen.....how do I decide?
6. Left Handed and Right Handed---how to deside? Is it more than right and left handed? Meaning what about splintery woods........do you need both?
7. Pros and cons of #1,2,3,and 4? Which wou you pick and why?:
Thanks all,
Phil

Roy Wall
05-06-2007, 10:36 PM
Phil,

I have a right handed LN #140.....I believe this means the open edge of the blade is on the right. It is possibly the coolest looking plane I have...very unique.

I use the plane for specifically cutting a shallow dado on my tail board (as in dovetails)....this allows easy and accurate registration of the tails to the pin board - where I can mark them and then cut. It also allows a cleaner look on the inside corner of your dovetails.

Now - my guess is the fence and sole is dead on 90* - so I should use it more often for perpindicuar edges perhaps...but I work another plane and another method for this.

It is also a good tool for planing the panels of doors - and you would need both pair for this operation.

I can get by with the one #140 as is....but a 2nd one would be nice.

It is a very precise tool.

Doug Shepard
05-07-2007, 7:29 AM
Cant give you any Pros/Cons as I haven't done any comparisons. I've got option 3 on your list, mainly due to the introductory prices on both. Dont waste any time deciding if Option 3 ends up being your choice though. I'm pretty sure the intro price on the new one only goes to the end of this month.