PDA

View Full Version : Negotiations complete with the LOML

Joel Sauder
05-06-2007, 9:04 PM
Well thanks to Ken Fairchild, who put a firm boot to my butt in "helping" me into to vortex, I have the bug for a lathe.

It turns out that it is only going to cost me a new refrigerator and some new clothes for my wife for me to get a lathe, plus I was able to get a chainsaw as part of the deal since our next house will have a fireplace (nice logic huh!).

Ken "explained" to me how expensive turning was as a hobby, but I did not know so much went into bribing "The Management!" But I guess I can't complain too much since it is her new job that is going to be paying for it.

I am currently leaning towards the General International 25-200 Maxi-Lathe VS. Particularly due to the sale at Remond Machinery. I want to turn things that are just a bit bigger than the Jet Mini VS will allow and I probably will not be able to upgrade in a year like so many people do. I know that the Palmgren/Craftsman lathe can be had for about the same price and has a bit more swing. But I thought going with a company who has a real interest in lathes might save some headaches down the road in term of repairs. Anyone out there have opinion on Generals in general or had any experiece with the 25-200? Any other strong contenders in the sub-$500 catagory that I should check out?

Cheers,

Joel

CPeter James
05-06-2007, 11:20 PM
A friend bought one in February and is very happy with it. I would make my own base, though and beef it up to reduce vibration. The "tin" stand from General really is not enough unless all you are going to turn is pens.

CPeter

Ken Fitzgerald
05-07-2007, 1:07 AM
Hey Andy.......We got another one!:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Jim Underwood
05-07-2007, 9:07 AM
I was at the Southern States Symposium last weekend, and saw Dale Nish (among others) demonstrating on a General lathe. Problem was, the centers wouldn't line up. Kept messing up his glue joints....

Not very good advertisement for that brand of lathe I'd say. If you're going to display a lathe seems that the distributor could at least make sure the centers line up.

I experienced the same thing on a trip to the IWF last time around. Can't remember which brand it was (green paint) but I slid the tailstock up to the headstock and saw at least 1/8" off center, and that's all the time I had for it... walked away and didn't look back.

Take a look at the Jet 1220 for a bit more capacity than the mini...

Paul Engle
05-07-2007, 9:51 AM
Or even the Jet 1234, I got mine last fall and it has spun 16" off bed and the ts lined up dead on w/ the hs. min speed on the reeves is 550 i think but that has not been a problem.

Ralph Lindberg
05-07-2007, 10:01 AM
Joel, someone (in another forum) ordered the Maxi from Redmond, then found out they wanted an additional $200 for shipping. In my book, it might be a fine lathe, but wanting that much for shipping a "mini" is robbery.

The problem might be finding that lathe in the USA, I found it four places in Canada, but only one in the US http://cheswoodsales.com/ (for the same price a Redmond)