PDA

View Full Version : What a feeling

Jerry Thompson
05-06-2007, 8:58 PM
After a good while and a lot of reading I got my Stanley-Bailey jack plane tuned. I added a Hock blade and chipbreaker. I honed the blade at 25d and added a little 30d to it. I did it all by the book.
I set up a 3ft piece of maple on edge and after getting the depth set cut off fluff. The first shaving had yet to hit the floor before I was almost done the the second pass. Talk about feel good. I had to come out of my trance or I would have had the piece of 8/4 down to a lath in no time. If you haven't done it yet it is worth it.

Don Bullock
05-06-2007, 9:28 PM
Congratulations Jerry. That's fantastic news. I'm glad you're enjoying your woodworking.

ralph cox
05-06-2007, 10:57 PM
I just did the same thing, with my first Stanley-Bailey flee market find(type 11#7) I can feel the earth giving way it's getting slippery!Now I want to switch out the cb and irons on my Record 4and 5. It's the journey as well as the destination that counts, so might as well enjoy the simple honest pleasure of a tool that does it's job well!

:cool:ralph

Brad Holst
05-07-2007, 12:01 AM
Does the Hock chipbreaker make a big difference?

I just bought an A2 blade from Lee Valley for a Stanley jack and the bevel is ground at 30deg and it also has a minibevel. I am thinking of regrinding to 25deg ...or, would it be better to just leave it at 30 and get rid of the minibevel?

Jerry Thompson
05-07-2007, 4:46 PM
The Hock chipbreaker did make a big difference in my experience. The 30d microbevel makes it easier to hone and saves me a lot of time over the water stone so I can get back to making shavings.