PDA

View Full Version : It's Alive!!!

Curt Fuller
05-06-2007, 8:17 PM
I saw something green on my garage wood shelf, pulled out the bin and found this. It's a piece of silver maple burl cut in February, anchorsealed, and wrapped in shrink wrap, and it still sprouted. What do you think, if I stuck this in the ground would it keep growing?

Jim Ketron
05-06-2007, 8:40 PM
LOL!
I have a pretty good one growing in my shop also Curt.:D

Joseph Peacock
05-06-2007, 8:42 PM
I think it could keep growing pretty good!:D

Bernie Weishapl
05-06-2007, 10:06 PM
LOL. That is a good one Curt. Yes it will continue to grow. I have a maple in my yard that the trunk is now 14" in diameter that started like that but mine came out of my BIL's wood pile. I would turn it though.:D:p

Steve Kubien
05-07-2007, 12:11 AM
Just had the same thing happen with walnut log which was cut around the new year. Never sealed the ends with anything and I got lucky as I only lost 3/4" off one end due to checking. Thought about growning my own walnut grove....opted for bowl blanks instead.

Cheers,
Steve Kubien

Gary Herrmann
05-07-2007, 4:40 AM
I had a chunk of maple do that in my shop. I assume its because it stll had enough moisture in it. It is kinda creepy tho...:o

George Tokarev
05-07-2007, 7:15 AM
You'll see that fairly often on wood cut in early fall. Come spring, it's trying to get on with photosynthesis. Folks who do their own firewood often don't limb the tree, rather let the leaves and branches pull as much water as possible out of the entrapped reserve before bucking up in the fall. So don't claim some "new" drying method. :D

Then there's the practice, common among @#%^&* porcupines, of girdling a tree as a snack and moving to the next rather than dining at length on the abundant and still live bark. At least the beaver makes use of the whole tree.