PDA

View Full Version : bathroom cabinets

Mark Hoffman
05-06-2007, 7:53 PM
I'm building new cabinery for my bathroom and plan on building a floor to ceiling pantry cabinet that will be free standing (and screwed to the wall). the cabinet height will be about 99 inches.

Provided I can procure the proper stock, is it ok to make the stiles out of a single piece of stock? that would make them pretty long (I mean the sides as I will be making them raised panel for athetics (and the face frame)).

I'm using jatoba as the wood of choice on this project.

The sides will be two raised panels (one top and one bottom) separated by about a 4 inch stile in the middle, 4 inch on top and about a 6 inch on the bottom.

thoughts?

frank shic
05-06-2007, 9:22 PM
mark, you may have some serious issues with warping if you build them that high especially if you're using solid wood for the panels and the frame. another issue is when routing or shaping the stiles you better have a LOT of clearance to be able to feed 8 feet in and support 8 feet out. sanding and finishing also seem rather painful with such a large door.

Jamie Buxton
05-06-2007, 9:26 PM
Yes, you can make the styles 99" tall. However, I probably wouldn't make panels that tall. Instead, there would be one or two rails subdividing the height into two or three panels.

One issue about ceiling-height cabinets is how to install them. If you make a cabinet which is something like 2' by 2' by whatever the ceiling height may be, you probably won't be able to get it into the room and stand it up. The cabinet's diagonal measurement will be more than the ceiling height. One solution to this issue is a loose toe-kick. It is a platform perhaps 4" tall, and it is separate from the rest of the cabinet. The rest of the cabinet is then at least 4" less than the ceiling height, and can be tilted up inside the room.