PDA

View Full Version : 2 problems with my vector cuts

Craig Hogarth
05-06-2007, 7:16 PM
I don't know if this is the cause, but yesterday, I went to manually focus on something that was too tall and the laser head hit against the object. Sorry, I'm still learning terminology, but the bar (with the laser head) got cockeyed and I pushed it back into place.

Anyways, I'm having two problem with vector cuts on these business cards. First, it's not very straight as you can see, however, it does cut straight when cutting the cards out. Second, you can see it goes off center later on. The vector cuts started on the top right working down then moving to the next row to the left and then going up. In one picture, you can see it was cutting good initially, but somewhere it goes all screwy.

Any ideas?

Pictures too big to post. I'll have them posted here in a few or linked online.

Craig Hogarth
05-06-2007, 7:24 PM
Vectored in right spot

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i1/hogied/100_1963.jpg

All screwed up

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i1/hogied/100_1964.jpg

Side by side

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i1/hogied/100_1965.jpg

Joe Pelonio
05-06-2007, 7:28 PM
I don't know if this is the cause, but yesterday, I went to manually focus on something that was too tall and the laser head hit against the object. Sorry, I'm still learning terminology, but the bar (with the laser head) got cockeyed and I pushed it back into place.

As a precision instrument the laser has to be adjusted perfectly to run right.

That jolt may have moved or even bent something, but it also could have
knocked the mirrors/lense out of alignment. I wouldn't try to run it without
removing the x bar cover, inspecting it thoroughly, and rechecking the alignment. Also checking for free movement with the machine off, and running a job where it moves over the whole table but with the door open to listen for noises.

Mike Null
05-06-2007, 7:45 PM
The easiest way to check the carriage is to turn off the machine and pull it to the front. It should hit the stops on both sides evenly. If it doesn't then you'll have to do an adjustment. It's easy but check with your tech support.

If you knocked the mirror or lens out of alignment it's more of a test.

It might be of some help if we knew what kind of machine you're running.

Craig Hogarth
05-06-2007, 7:50 PM
Oops. it's in my sig now.

I found out the vector cuts were wavy because I was cutting too fast.

As for alignment, yeah, the left side is hitting before the right when I pull it forward.

I don't really want to wait until tomorrow and the tech manual doesn't say anything about it?

Do you know how I reallign it?

Bill Cunningham
05-06-2007, 9:12 PM
Did something similar way back a while.. The auto focus plunger missed, and went through the 1/2" grid I had the piece on.. The table came up, and lifted the x beam out of the track.. A panic call to Epilog solved all my problems..Well, not 'all' but the ones concerning the laser were solved :rolleyes:
I see by your sig you have a ULS, so I doubt the resetting procedure would be the same as the Epilog.. I'm sure there is someone that can help you, there are a lot of ULS Owner here..

Mike Null
05-07-2007, 12:25 AM
My ULS is long gone but as I remember you turn off the machine andmove the carriage all the wayto the front. There is a shaft in the front which will turn as you move the carriage.

Loosen the set screws located in the connecting gadget in the center of the shaft and move the carriage to the stops evenly on both sides. Retighten the set screws.

It is my opinion that this will solve only part of your problem as it sounds like something is amiss in the x axis.

Mike Mackenzie
05-07-2007, 11:58 AM
Craig,

Lets start with one thing at a time.

First mike is correct in order to square the X arm you need to turn off the system and then pull the arm to the front of the system. There are two flex couplers attached to the Y axis motor. Depending on which way the arm is out is depending on which one you would loosen. All you need to do is loosen the set screw and pull the arm forward and then tighten down the set screw. when the arm is all the way to the front both side should be hitting the stops.

I am attaching some instructions for you. once you get this fixed we will get the vector issue taken care of.

The file is to large to attach send me an e-mail and I will send it to you.

Mike Mackenzie
05-07-2007, 12:02 PM
Craig,

Looking at the picture I need to find out a couple of things what speed are you vector marking at?

What firmware version do you have?

Craig Hogarth
05-07-2007, 12:53 PM
It's hard to tell if the arm is hitting on both sides at the same time. I think it's off, but not by much. I wrapped masking tape around the two allen screws the bar hits against. Then I used a sharpie to make the arm and pulled it forward. Both left marks, however, the mark on the left side was much wider and darker than the one on the right. The one on the right was basically a hairline.

On the picture that was being vectored at 100 power, 70 speed, which I later found out was too fast. On a different card, I got better looking lines at 25 power, 5 speed, but it's still off the mark.

As for firmware, I do not know. But the serial number is 16537 and it was manufactured in 3/07 if that helps.

Thanks

Craig Hogarth
05-07-2007, 12:56 PM
Also, here's another problem.

[/URL][URL]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i1/hogied/messedup-1.jpg (javascript:ol('http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i1/hogied/messedup-1.jpg');)

This was rastered at p100, s60 which was the same settings on the cards above.

As you can see, it didn't turn out the same.

Mike Mackenzie
05-07-2007, 2:13 PM
Craig,

Looking at this picture there is something loose in the Y axis (Coupler, drive gear belt clamp).

Try going through theses areas and tighten up on the set screws.

I would call your local guy and ask him to come and help resolve the issue.

It does not look like anything major just something loose. Because this system is only a few months old you would have the current firmware version on it.

When you hit the X axis head on your part did the head come off the rail?