PDA

View Full Version : 1st NE Bowl

Matt Ressner
05-06-2007, 6:53 PM
This is my first NE bowl and first bowl of any kind (other than the one I made at a class I took a month ago). I know I made several mistakes (did not turn the blank enough to get the natural edge all the way around, had some tear-out in the bowl, and did not know how to remove the chuck tenon to complete the bottom of the bowl). If you guys see anything else please let me know and also any ideas to improve. The bowl is Maple (I think - I got it from a Dairy Queen in the area that cut down a tree) and is about 7 x 6 inches.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-06-2007, 6:56 PM
Matt...........Welcome to the Creek!

Not bad for your first NE! Keep working on them and they'll improve!

Dennis Peacock
05-06-2007, 7:27 PM
Welcome to SMC Matt!!!!! Nice 1st NE you have there.
Wade on in here and tell us all about ya.

Bernie Weishapl
05-06-2007, 10:08 PM
Matt welcome to Creek. Lots of good people and lots of knowledge. That is a pretty nice first NE. I made a funnel out of my first one.:mad: Keep'em coming.

Steve Schlumpf
05-06-2007, 10:26 PM
Welcome to the Creek Matt!

Nice looking NE bowl! Like Ken stated - keep making them and they get better! Have fun - post often!

Glenn Hodges
05-07-2007, 10:26 AM
Matt, good start because the first step in turning something new is to try. Look at the designs of natural edge bowls, and start out with copying other designs. After you can do those traditional NE designs, then develop your own design. I consider NE bows mildly functional, and are usually used to hold fruit or arrangments as a table centerpiece. Most people buy them just to admire them. So the design is very important. If you get them to thin the bark will leave the piece. One way to keep the bark on a NE bowl is to use CA glue on the bark before you get it to near completion. When you are sanding near completion stay away from the edge or you will sand away the bark. Make sure the inside curve matches the outside. If you have tearout use heavy grit sandpaper when you first start sanding to remove the tearout before going to a higher grit. It is much easier to sand out a sandpaper scratch than tearout. I hope these suggestions help, good luck with the next one. As someone has already asked, tell us a little about yourself.

Lamar Sherrill
05-07-2007, 10:44 AM
Matt,
Nice looking ne bowl

Joseph Peacock
05-07-2007, 10:50 AM
Welcom to the smc Mr.Mat!!! Dang!!! That's one niiiiiiiiiice ne bowl Mr.Mat!!!!!! :D :cool:

Tom Sherman
05-07-2007, 4:04 PM
Welcome to the Creek Matt, nice first bowl.

Jonathon Spafford
05-08-2007, 2:53 AM
Looks like a nice little bowl... my first didn't turn out half as nice! Mine looked like I held a beaver to the spinning wood and let him chew away ;) Keep up the work!!