PDA

View Full Version : Laser engraver software

Dean Barber
05-06-2007, 2:51 PM
Hi, I am looking to buy a laser engraver. when looking I see that machines come with diffrent software programs..are some better than others? or does the software not really make a diffrence? whats the best software program for laser engravers at a decent price?
Thanks

Joe Pelonio
05-06-2007, 3:17 PM
It depends on the laser. Some come with proprietary software that has to be used, others will allow the use of any vector-based software. Still others are supposed to run on any program but the manufacturer recommends one in particular that they have thoroughly tested.

Most people seem to be using Corel Draw 12.0 or X-3.

Bruce Volden
05-06-2007, 4:46 PM
Dean,

Over the years Corel Draw has become the "industry standard". Why, I'm not certain because other software certainly can be utilized! I have found that with Corel and lasers you can usually get any questions answered right here and on other forums, which is a BIG help at times. When I bought my machines though, none of them came with any software so I don't know what you were told would be supplied :confused:

Bruce

Nancy Laird
05-06-2007, 4:59 PM
Dean, I have to agree that Corel is THE software to use with lasers, together with Photograv for photographs. The major manufacturers of lasers support Corel. Corel X3 is the newest version, but I understand from other users that it is missing some of the best features of the older versions. If you can find C-12 as well as X3, you'll have the best of all worlds.

And before you buy a laser, make sure that you do a LOT of research, here on this forum and others dedicated to engraving, and talk to the sales AND SERVICE REPS to make sure that you are comfortable with what they are trying to sell you. In the US, Universal, Epilog, and Trotec seem to be the biggies, but the market is getting inundated with lasers made in China that if you consider one, be very careful to ensure that you'll get the service support.

Nancy

Larry Bratton
05-06-2007, 5:24 PM
Corel Draw. X3 (version 13) is very good. Full version can be had for $2-300.00 or maybe less if you shop around. When I bought my laser, the mfg didn't supply the software as part of the package. I already had it anyway but I did upgrade to X3 from a older version.

Good luck with your purchase. This (and other forums) are a wonderful resource to learn what you need to know relative to the purchase of a machine plus a mariad of useful information once you get it.

Mike Null
05-06-2007, 6:49 PM
I agree with most of what has been said about using Corel Draw except that I have been using it since version 8 and X3 is by far the best yet.

Many things have been added and improved over the years except the huge clipart files which used to be offered have been reduced considerably.

John Pickett
05-09-2007, 3:08 PM
I have Signlab, Engravelab and Corel X3 loaded into my computer. I prefer Corel over Signlab and Engravelab because it allows me to open up AutoCad files. I could never figure out how to open an AutoCad file in Engravelab.

Dean Barber
05-11-2007, 7:56 AM
Hi, Thanks for all the replies.. So it looks like coreldraw 12 & 13 are the most popular. So I will check into that. Thanks again
Dean