PDA

View Full Version : Automagically open lid supports for a secretary?

Jerry Baldwin
01-02-2004, 12:08 PM
I'm building (or trying to) a Pennsylvania Dutch Secretary. My question is this: When you open the lid for the writing surface, I want the two lid supports (one on each side of the case that pull out underneath the lid to support the lid when it is open) to automatically open as you pull the lid out/down to open it. Does that make sense? I've seen this on other secretaries but the light bulb in my brain still has a lack of electricity - I haven't had that AHA! moment yet.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Jerry

Jamie Buxton
01-02-2004, 1:38 PM
Jerry --

I've seen an old secretary that had this feature. The support pieces slid in and out, just as you say. On each side of the desk top there were arms. The arms were connected to the desk top with hinges. The connection point was about halfway between the front and the back of the desk top. The rear of each arm was connected with a hinge to the rear of each slide. When you open the top, the arm pulls the slide forward.

On the one I saw, the arms were brass. When the desk was open, they were on the sides of the desk top, not protruding above the desk surface. They fit into slots in the non-moving part of the desk surface. However, you could use the same approach but have the arms above the surface of the desk top. You also wouldn't have to use metal.

Jamie Buxton