View Full Version : New DP Gloat - 17-950L on Base

glenn bradley
05-06-2007, 10:28 AM
64083With all that's been going on in the shop this guy waited patiently for his new home. After my neighbors DP nearly took a spill on him I decided mine would need to be stable.

I'm not at the point of bolting stuff to the ground in my ongoing shop arrangement process. I'm a few generations along at being a Californian and don't even blink at most earthquakes that make the news. Just in case . . .

I built a ballast-like base about 20" x 24"

Dumped in about 90 lbs of redi-mix; wrapped up so as not to sneak out later.

Mount the base.

Still going . . . .

And there we go.

I hadn't planned on upgrading the DP for another year or so but the recent Lowes sale along with some bargaining by the LOML left me no choice. Good price, pretty nice DP compared to my "baby" Delta that I had planned on using for awhile.

Gary Keedwell
05-06-2007, 12:01 PM
Glenn...I have same size DP...only mine is a jet. Not real happy with the chuck. (runs out too much for my taste).
How true does your Delta run? I've been contemplating an after market chuck....but I have been saying that for a long time.:rolleyes:
Gary K.

Bill Huber
05-06-2007, 12:35 PM
I have a 30 year old Craftsman floor DP and have only had a problem with it going over once or twice but I got it both times, very top heavy.

I could do the same thing for mine and not have to worry about moving it any more.

Thanks......

Corey Hallagan
05-06-2007, 12:39 PM
Looks good Glen, nice job.

Corey

Roy McQuay
05-06-2007, 12:47 PM
Congratulations. I have the 17" Delta on a mobile base also, minus the weight, so far, I haven't had it tip after 4 years, but, I haven't noticed Richter scale mentioned on the local news either.:D

Steve Jensen
05-06-2007, 2:05 PM
Glenn, I too have the same drill press from Lowes. Haven't really used it as I'm in the process of slowly building my shop, and this was my first purchase. I've been losing weight and did use it to drill a couple new holes in my belt but that doesn't really count. :D

I love the base, it's a great idea.

Dennis Peacock
05-06-2007, 2:38 PM
Nicely done!!!!! One of these days.....I'll replace the old Crapsman DP I have and put a Powermatic in it's place. :D

Garth Keel
05-06-2007, 3:24 PM
I like your idea on a stable base but, one question: WHy redi-mix instead of sand?

glenn bradley
05-06-2007, 8:47 PM
I like your idea on a stable base but, one question: WHy redi-mix instead of sand?

Heavier by volume. At least at my BORG. $2.50 for a sack doesn't hurt either.

glenn bradley
05-06-2007, 8:49 PM
Not real happy with the chuck. (runs out too much for my taste). How true does your Delta run?

I've only just started running it and I do have more run-out than I think I should. I will remove the chuck and check the taper alone. If I still have run-out I'll remove the taper, clean everything and re-assemble. If I still have more than I like, I'll call Delta. If this becomes an issue, I'll post here for the result.

glenn bradley
05-06-2007, 8:50 PM
Thanks all. Hope this can help someone so I can repay in some small way all the great help I've gotten here.

Don Bullock
05-06-2007, 9:18 PM
Glenn, that looks like a great base. Congratulations on the new DP.

glenn bradley
05-07-2007, 8:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Keedwell http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=580909#post580909)
Not real happy with the chuck. (runs out too much for my taste). How true does your Delta run?

I've only just started running it and I do have more run-out than I think I should. I will remove the chuck and check the taper alone. If I still have run-out I'll remove the taper, clean everything and re-assemble. If I still have more than I like, I'll call Delta. If this becomes an issue, I'll post here for the result.

I removed the taper and chuck. Careful inspection showed them to be clean. The taper had some marks on it right out of the oil paper that I thought looked pretty shoddy but I could not feel anything.

The marks of course were still there. Just to be scientific (yeah, right) I rotated the taper 180* after cleaning again (no residue on the cloth I used). I tapped it in and ran a test, run-out was greatly reduced.

My feeling is that rotating the taper should have had no effect so I'll attribute it to 'something' else. I also didn't "tap" the taper / chuck assembly quite so hard to seat it this time.

Drill holes with my forstners 1/4" up to 35mm; no problem. Who knows? Voodoo?

Cary Swoveland
05-07-2007, 8:49 PM
Very clever, Glenn, and a very clear explanation.

Cary

Gary Keedwell
05-07-2007, 9:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Keedwell http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=580909#post580909)

I removed the taper and chuck. Careful inspection showed them to be clean. The taper had some marks on it right out of the oil paper that I thought looked pretty shoddy but I could not feel anything.

The marks of course were still there. Just to be scientific (yeah, right) I rotated the taper 180* after cleaning again (no residue on the cloth I used). I tapped it in and ran a test, run-out was greatly reduced.

My feeling is that rotating the taper should have had no effect so I'll attribute it to 'something' else. I also didn't "tap" the taper / chuck assembly quite so hard to seat it this time.

Drill holes with my forstners 1/4" up to 35mm; no problem. Who knows? Voodoo?
Glenn...thanks for the great response. I spent an afternoon messing with my chuck
(drill press chuck.....I'm hetro) :p and after alot of taking it out and puttin it back in ( don't say nothing!!!) I finally had to put an indicator on it and tap it in to make it run true.
It still isn't great but what the heck.........
Gary K;)

mark page
05-08-2007, 12:16 AM
Nice base Glenn, I have same DP and built a wider/longer base. I like yours and may restyle mine after it to have a smaller footprint in the shop. Sometimes it can get in the way. Never thought about the crete, good idea.
Ps: runout on mine is withing acceptable measures. No problems as of yet.

Jules Dominguez
01-25-2009, 9:19 PM
I have a Jet 15" bench model DP I bought about a year ago. I don't remember whether I installed the chuck or it came installed, but the runout became progressively worse over time. I finally took the taper off and cleaned it - though I didn't see anything in it - and reinstalled it. I didn't tap it, I cranked it down slowly and firmly onto a wooden block (with the chuck jaws wide open) on the table. That fixed the problem. I think the runout was about three or four thousandths when I finished.
The instruction manual called for doing it the way I did. Did you guys do yours that way, or did you just "tap it"?

glenn bradley
01-25-2009, 9:34 PM
The instruction manual called for doing it the way I did. Did you guys do yours that way, or did you just "tap it"?

The Delta manual says to open the chuck all the way and tap it with a hammer using a piece of wood in between for protection. ;)

Don Stever
03-16-2014, 12:39 AM
Not sure if anybody still remembers this thread. But know that this new woodworker was inspired by your DP base. Heck I just copied it flat out! Brilliant solution and filled mine with gravel. Rock solid! Thanks Glenn.

Bruce Page
03-16-2014, 1:31 AM
Don, welcome to the Creek! There's a lot of good ideas around here.

Kurt Cady
03-16-2014, 7:27 AM
Mine is also filled with gravel. And a little longer and wider. But much more stable and less top heavy when rolling

Tai Fu
03-16-2014, 12:27 PM
That base looks flimsy, just like my previous benchtop Grizzly drill press in fact. How thick is the column wall?