PDA

View Full Version : What wood for bird feeder?

Steven J Corpstein
01-02-2004, 10:30 AM
I am going to build a bird feeder for Mom and wanted to get some suggestions on wood choices. I want to just finish it with an oil of some type and wondered if Cedar would be a good choice?

Mac McAtee
01-02-2004, 10:41 AM
Steven,
I'd leave off the oil. Just leave it natural. Lowes or HD, has cedar boards, or track down some cypress. Both will weather a nice sliver gray. Last option use treated pine.
Mac

Mike Cutler
01-02-2004, 11:17 AM
14ga. sheet metal!!. Seriously tho' Cedar does make a nice looking bird feeder. Those I've made have been given generous coats of Spar Varnish. I have also made them out of mahagony,maple and oak scraps. I only joke about the sheet metal because of the squirrels. I like the look of a wooden feeder much better. Someday I'd like to make one like a Droll Yankee Feeder out of wood. Copper sheeting really provides a nice accent to the feeders when used as the "roof" of the feeder. The verdegris patina it gets after a season or two makes a really nice contrast.

Jim Becker
01-02-2004, 1:23 PM
I generally make them out of cypress and leave them unfinished. They weather to a nice grey and don't require mainenance like a finish would.