PDA

View Full Version : Incra Jig Ultra Router System VS. Dovetail Jig

Gary Warren
05-05-2007, 9:47 PM
I would like to have a good way to do box joints and dovetails but in reading the promo on the Incra system, it seems I do so much more with it as compared to a Leigh or Porter Cable dovetail jig and yet spend about the same or less price. I would love to have your comments on the pluses and minuses of this.

Dave Hale
05-05-2007, 10:34 PM
I think of the Incra setup as a combination dovetail jig and router fence combined into one.
The dovetails are easy with the Incra but I recommend getting the bits from one of the vendors they recommend (I have the Whiteside set) because the bits work with their templates better. I tried a Bosch dovetail bit (I know, I know, but it was on sale) and had to do some adjusting (not quite exact to the templates) to make it work. The additional benefits are using the Incra as traditional router fence, with very simple adjustments, I use it as jointer, taking off a couple thousands of an inch. I find it easier to keep a wide board flat on the table surface than vertical on my 6" jointer.

With the Incra, the time to setup is shorter, I think. 2-3 minutes to 'center' the bit. Another 2-3 to set the height. Then your rolling, and it's fast after that.

If you already have a good router table setup, I'd hesitate on tossing it for an Incra setup, but if you don't.......

JayStPeter
05-06-2007, 7:54 AM
For larger parts, one of the jigs is the way to go. The Incra/Jointech systems are pretty sweet as router table fences (assuming you get the Incra with the wonderfence). The downside is that in joinery mode they get unstable with larger pieces. I have made some decent size drawers with my Incra and Jointech systems. But, it is easy to tip the pieces as you push them through and ruin the parts. Also, the Incra/Jointech systems are probably faster for one part, but if you are making a number of drawers the same size a jig will pass it by quickly. The real answer is get both ;)

John Ricci
05-06-2007, 8:55 AM
The real answer is get both ;)

I couldn't agree more. I have both the Leigh D4 and the Incra Ultra/Intellifence combo and I find each has its strengths over the other. I tend to use the D4 for dovetail work particularly on repetitive cuts. The Incra shines as both a router fence and my "ultimate finger joint jig" but for dovetails the Leigh is faster with fewer steps involved than the Incra. My.02Cdn.

J.R.

Gary Warren
05-06-2007, 10:38 AM
Thanks guys for the advice. I have been looking for an excuse to upgrade my router table that currently is a home made version of a table saw wing. Works OK but not very easy to do lots of work on. I think I will get one of the complete units offered and call it an early Christmas. Thanks again and I will start with the Incra and see if my needs grow into getting a purpose built jig like the Leigh.

Cary Swoveland
05-06-2007, 1:21 PM
.....the Incra/Jointech systems are probably faster for one part, but if you are making a number of drawers the same size a jig will pass it by quickly...

Jay, what has been your experience cutting dovetails in a stack of boards with the Incra and Jointech systems? Suppose, for example, you are making four small drawers. Could you accurately cut a stack of four boards? I've heard of others doing that, but don't know how well it works.

Also, can you briefly compare Incra with Jointech for cutting dovetails?

Cary

JayStPeter
05-06-2007, 7:31 PM
Jay, what has been your experience cutting dovetails in a stack of boards with the Incra and Jointech systems? Suppose, for example, you are making four small drawers. Could you accurately cut a stack of four boards? I've heard of others doing that, but don't know how well it works.

Also, can you briefly compare Incra with Jointech for cutting dovetails?

Cary

I cut 2 boards at a time. I've been able to do 4, but it seems about 1/4 of the time they don't align properly. I also use a backer board, so I am usually stacking 3 deep. Four plus a backer is a lot to get/keep properly aligned.

Incra and Jointech are very similar for cutting dovetails. I haven't had luck with the centering thing on the Jointech, so no difference there. I just use the Incra "test cut" method. The Jointech templates are simpler. They are color coded (ie cut all pins on black and tails on red). The Incra templates can be a little more flexible, but more difficult to use. Each position has a letter and number and you make cuts using those. So, you make a list of cuts (something like pins - A1, B2, C1, D2, tails - A2, B1, C2, D1). Usually the standard cuts usually follow an order like pins all the 1's and tails all the 2s. But, if you want to skip around and make non symmetrical DTs, you follow the normal steps and tweak which cuts you make. Often, it is desirable to do so to ensure the correct cut on each end. With the Jointech it is still possible, but you have to actually make some marks on the template to keep track. I'd say it's quicker to learn the Jointech, but learning the Incra teaches you the whys as well as the hows.
Physically, both work the same way. Once you know which cuts to make, the steps to make the cuts are exactly the same.

Greg Cole
05-07-2007, 9:35 AM
I agree with Jay. Stacking more than 2 boards w/ backer is as far as I will go and like the results. I have done 4 at a time with thinner stock ( @ 1/2") and they came out ok, but I wouldn't bank on 100% accuracy with anything other than small & thin parts.
As with any of these systems with a ton of templates, they take a little fiddling to be able to set up quickly. I have some depth of cut template made up for taking some of the time out of the initial set-up. Centering the bit is a snap after fuddling through the manual the first time or two.

Greg

John Hulett
05-07-2007, 11:39 AM
Gary,

If you intend to make large boxes, like a 24" high dovetailed chest, the Incra will not serve you well. If you intend to make small boxes, like drawers or jewelry boxes, the Incra is good. Of course, one of the dovetail jigs like the Liegh will do bith.

I have the Incra, but if I had to do it over, I'd get the Leigh.

That said, I LOVE the Incra as my TS fence.

- John