PDA

View Full Version : Why should I buy a router lift?

Jamie Buxton
05-05-2007, 9:27 PM
I'm thinking about remodeling my table-mounted router rig. That gets me to thinking about router lifts. As best I understand, a lift offers two things: above-the-table height adjustment, and above-the-table bit changes. Five years ago, the only way to get those functions was a lift. However, there are now several routers with above-the-table height adjustment (e.g. the Milwaukee 5625), and a few with above-the-table bit changes (e.g. the Triton MOF001). Presuming I buy one of these newer routers, it seems that a lift offers no additional functionality. Am I misunderstanding something here?

glenn bradley
05-05-2007, 9:31 PM
IMHO the Triton 2.x HP unit solves this problem well but is lower on power than I want for a RT. I have no idea why they chose to alter the above the table functions for the 3.5HP unit. My 5625 does allow above the table height adjustment but due to the method of locking the motor it is only so accurate. I love the power, smooth running, etc. of the Mil but see a lift in my future. My dad is going with the smaller Triton and from reading other's posts I imagine he will be quite happy. It's nice that manufacturers (some anyway) are paying attention to the direction hobbyists are going with their woodworking.

Cary Swoveland
05-05-2007, 11:24 PM
I have the 3.25 hp Triton TRC-001, to which I've attached a $45 digital height gauge ( www.digi-kit.com/digirouter.htm (http://www.digi-kit.com/digirouter.htm) ).

It's easy to change bits above the table, and after zeroing the digital gauge when the bit is flush with the table, I can raise the bit to a precise height in just a few seconds, using only the big (coarse adjustment) knobs. I've not used a router lift, but I can't imagine one being faster for setting bit heights. (Having said that, I expect it won't be long before a home-market lift is available that uses a servo motor to raise the bit to a specified height.)

The Triton is an excellent router for table use. It's powerful, accurate, and allows above-the-table bit changes with a single wrench. It has good safety features, including a spindle lock and power switch lock-out that is activated when the spindle is raised to change bits.

Cary

Jules Dominguez
05-06-2007, 8:08 PM
I've had a 3 hp Ryobi variable speed plunge router on my router table since 1994 and have never felt the need for a lift. I can easily reach under the table and adjust the height and I leave the router in place to change bits, which takes one hand for the wrench and one finger for the shaft lock.

Chris Fetting
05-06-2007, 9:12 PM
I used a PC router with the built in adjustment for two years. I always had problems repeating my setups and it took forever to make fine adjustsments because of backlash in the sytem. I recently purchased the digital router lift from Jointech and I love it. They just lowered the price and I wish I would have waited but this is a great addition to my shop.

The Wixey gauge with the Triton does look like a good solution if you don't purchase a ready made lift.

I have no affiliation to Jointech or PC.

Ben Grunow
05-06-2007, 10:15 PM
Having just purchased a benchdog lift/table and PC 7518, I think the real answer is that the setup is so much faster and easier because there is no more hefting the router out or kneeling to hold the shaft lock or using both hands to set heights or any of that. You just dial it up with the wrench and go.

I used mine without the lift for a couple days and it seems to me that the bit changes were a drag because of the need to crouch down and wrestle the cord and the constant dust all over everything that makes you dirty and the router hard to put back in its base... Plus the router was always on a different speed or switched off when I went to start.

I dont think there is any more accuracy (I make test pieces for all my work anyway) but it is really just a matter of convenience. A luxury as far as Im concerned. I will say that the BD lift is heavy and that makes it feel smoother and the cabinet makes it much quieter.

Paul Wingert
05-07-2007, 1:09 AM
Just a general tip: I got a height guage off Ebay for about $50. I real nice Mutabo one. Even though it is a dial and not digital, it's extremely easy to read.

It works great for repeatablity of router bit height, and has other uses as well.

Lou Ferrarini
05-07-2007, 7:13 AM
I have this one and love it (Jessem Mast-r-lift excel):

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=57409&d=1171026375

The height gage dial is great for repeatability, the system has great dust collection both above and below the table and the fence is the best (IMHO).

But be ready to shell out big bucks, table + fence + PC7518 router were over $1000.

John Vigants
05-07-2007, 6:18 PM
Jamie,

Thanks for starting this thread - really got me thinking. I have a PC 691 (1.75 hp fixed base) and a DW625 plunge and have been trying to decide which to mount in the table with a lit.

I hate to mount the DW because then I have to dismount it when I need the plunge capability. The PC on the other hand is not variable speed and a bit light for much table work (raised panel door for instance).

I was really heading towards buying a lift AND and a var speed, high HP fixed router. Didn't know these existed. Thanks!

Charles McCracken
05-08-2007, 10:45 AM
Jamie,

A router with above table adjustments (and preferably above table bit changing) does eliminate the need for a lift. To add to your list, Freud now offers the FT1700VCE (2-1/4hp fixed base) and FT3000VCE (3-1/4hp plunge base) which have both of those features.

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-08-2007, 12:42 PM
I'm using a Triton 3.25 HP in a table and have left all the original hardware on it (no lift). The winder and micro adjustment are easy to use. and It's also convenient when I want to take incremental passes because I just attach my little wooden handle to it. Rotating the handle that way is really easy. The table is just off the end of my slider table so I can sit or stand and manipulate my work with substantial ease

Brian Walter
05-08-2007, 1:49 PM
Cliff,
What little wooden handle are you referring to? I have the same router, I might be interested.

Brian Walter

John Hulett
05-08-2007, 4:05 PM
Those of you that have a lift, do you no longer need to kneel down to check the bit height anyway? Above the table height adjustment sounds like good idea, but if you have to get down there anyway, why spend the big bucks on a fancy lift? I'd rather put that money towards something else, personally.

My $0.02.

- John

Ben Grunow
05-08-2007, 9:36 PM
Yes, the height must be checked but that only takes a second and I (32 years old-getting harder every day) can just bend down and look quickly without kneeling as I have to when making adjustments without the lift.

I amke a test piece for each joint anyway.

Its a luxury, lets all just admit it!

glenn bradley
05-08-2007, 9:41 PM
I don't have a lift but I still use this:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=50240&d=1163738123

joseph merz
03-20-2009, 11:45 PM
this is an old thread .but i have input ,though not much .have an old 3hp ryobi in one table .wanted above table bit changes .got that triton router .the plastic part designed to lift it from above the table needed replacing real fast .the service department was great and had a new one to me quik .still it is not a very fine adjustment . i tried to use a verticle raised panel bit in it .realized though i could lesson the cut so as not to have a power issue this router has far to much flex . it can chatter far to easy .i am thinking this router is a bit light weight .

Robert foster
03-20-2009, 11:54 PM
True the Triton 3 1/4 router does not have above table lifting ability but it can be made to do so very easily. I had a 12 volt car jack that I used to run it up and down with. Lots of overkill but it works. I also tried something similar to what John Newton did with his router and used a battery powered screwdriver to raise and lower it. I have had no complaints using it with the 12v jack.
Bob

Chip Lindley
03-21-2009, 4:33 PM
Jamie, baaaack to your original question: Changing bits above the table is Nice! Cranking a router up and down from above is Nice!

But, many NEW AGE woodworkers cannot function without the ability to measure anything in Thousandths of an inch. So, the overkill in fine-adjustment is very much the reason many buy router lifts.

That being said, I still twist-in and un-twist my big heavy P-C 7518, 7519, and five or six 690s by hand, and dial height settings in by eye. Life Can Be Hard! At 61, unless I become too lazy, feeble or otherwise incapacitated, I will save my $300 for something else with more marginal utility--like the wrenchless RC Eliminator Chuck, which allows bit changes ABOVE the table! Now those are COOL!

Myk Rian
03-21-2009, 4:45 PM
There's another way to change bits above the table. Lift the insert and router out of the table, change your bit, and pop it back in. Lifts are overrated, unless you can't bend down to make adjustments.

Bruce Page
03-21-2009, 5:05 PM
There's another way to change bits above the table. Lift the insert and router out of the table, change your bit, and pop it back in. Lifts are overrated, unless you can't bend down to make adjustments.

I used to feel the same way until I bought the Bench Dog lift and added a digital height gauge to it.
I made a bunch of 1/4 round molding (90+ pcs) last weekend and the lift/readout made it painless.

Jeffrey Makiel
03-21-2009, 6:22 PM
There was a recent post discussing the philosphical reasons to having a lift. One poster said it well: It's only a convenience, nothing more.

I do believe that a lift will not improve routing performance, and I agree that it's a convenience only. My router table has the typical undermount router which I adjust from under the table. I've been doing it so long (20 years), that I don't even need to bend down to see what I'm doing. :)

On the other hand, I am considering the Bench Dog or new Woodpecker router lift (with the thru-the-top wheel adjustment). But, it's only because I'm attracted to gizmos. I do understand that it will not improve my woodworking skills, and it's only a minor convenience for a hobbyist as myself.

-Jeff :)

Narayan Nayar
03-21-2009, 7:45 PM
Jamie, didn't I see a shaper in your shop last time I was over?

Tom Veatch
03-21-2009, 8:37 PM
Yep, convenience is a huge part of it for me. My router lift came, along with a router, as a package promotion by Jet when I bought the saw. Don't know that I'd own one otherwise, but since I'm a tad on the side of gadget-freak'ness, I probably would have gotten one somewhere along the line.

Cranking in height adjustments are very, very nice. Not too interested in trying to split a thousandth of an inch but the ease and accuracy of zeroing the bit height to the table top, spinning the crank 5 turns and having a depth setting pretty durn close to 1/4" is positively addicting - height adjusting screw is 20tpi, so each turn raises the router 0.050".

And I really, really like my Eliminator chuck, too!

Jamie Buxton
03-21-2009, 8:52 PM
Jamie, didn't I see a shaper in your shop last time I was over?

Yes, I have a nice big Delta 3 HP shaper. I use it when I'm removing big chunks of wood -- for instance panel raising. I also have a router mounted in one of the wings of my table saw. I use the router for smaller cuts.

This thread is nearly a year old. I was considering remodeling the router table, but discussions like this thread led me to decide that there wasn't going to be a big enough improvement to make the effort.