PDA

View Full Version : Barbaro

Tim Wagner
05-05-2007, 9:25 PM
I hope I spelled that correctly. Did anyone watch the special on the thoroughbred Barbaro? One of the most emotional stories Ive seen on TV this year. It actually made me cry. On a brighter note, He has a brother now. born in march I believe. I don't even get into horse racing, but with his recovery posted all over CNN I found myself actually waiting to hear updates to his condition. He was a very beautifull horse, and he will be missed. :(

Mike Cutler
05-06-2007, 5:22 AM
Barbaro actually has two full brothers. The second was foaled a few weeks back.
He was a beautiful horse, no doubts there. His injuries were horrific and it's sad that the it wasn't the original injuries that brought about him being being euthanized but the laminitis in the left hind, and then progressing to the front.
We own an OTTB ( Off The Track Thoroughbred). He doesn't race any longer, except in the pasture where he still breezes himself in the morning. Watching him run takes your breath away.
Thoroughbreds are amazing athletes, and are an incredible presence to be around. Try to visit "Shed Row" at the track someday, or show up really early for the morning breeze sessions.

Tim Wagner
05-06-2007, 11:57 AM
I do want to return to the track someday. I was there when i was about 10 years old. the country side is beautiful to explore also.

Rob Bodenschatz
05-07-2007, 9:26 AM
Post deleted

Edit: My opinion hasn't changed but I don't wish to start any trouble.

Mike Cutler
05-07-2007, 12:13 PM
Rob.

That was a little uncalled for. The thread wasn't about the politics of any one subject over another, and Peter King could make that same analogy with a hundred different variations. All having no validity of statement, or basis of fact.

Peter should have taken solace in the fact that we as Americans, and humanity in general, are still capable of exhibiting the most basic of human emotions. Empathy, compassion, grief, forgiveness, and hope. Exhibiting these emotions in a very public manner. In essence "wearing our emotions on our sleeves" for the world to view.

When humanity loses the ability to take compassion on a simple animal. It's not long before we'll lose it for another human being. Barbaro was a testimony that the spirit of humanity still resides in us.

Peter King should confine his writing to sports topics in the future.

Tim Wagner
05-07-2007, 4:38 PM
Read this today in Peter King's article for SI.com:

"I want to say this with all due respect, because I'm an animal lover. But I wish there would be as much hand-wringing over the 3,376 American fatalities in Iraq than there is over the death of Barbaro."

I agree 100%

Always someone who has to take a discussion and turn it into something else. Why?

Do you even remotely believe that because I chose to discuss the death of a horse, that I don't care about American solders?? How dare you imply such a thing.

I know for a fact that had I chose to discuss the war and all it's horrors, any person that read it would have had something to say/contribute to the discussion. But I didn't, and you wish to flame me for not discussing it over Barbaro?? Thank you, VERY MUCH!:mad:

Belinda Barfield
05-07-2007, 5:04 PM
Read this today in Peter King's article for SI.com:

"I want to say this with all due respect, because I'm an animal lover. But I wish there would be as much hand-wringing over the 3,376 American fatalities in Iraq than there is over the death of Barbaro."

I agree 100%

Rob,

I wasn't witness to any hand wringing in this thread over the death of Barbaro. There was, however, a friendly interchange over the loss of an animal who did everything that was asked of him and then some. He was beautiful, and graceful, and a raised the spirits of many of us who live in a world that is filled with a number of horrors - not just the fatalies of war. Feel free to hand wring over the subject of your choice, but please don't criticize those of us who may wish to discuss something other than that.

Belinda Barfield
05-07-2007, 5:07 PM
Tim,

I saw a show a couple of months ago, maybe the same one, about Barbaro. The show was very well done. Barbaro was a courageous horse and it must have been a terribly difficult decision to put him down - even if it was for the best. I hope his brothers share his spirit and potential for greatness.

Jeff Kerr
05-07-2007, 9:18 PM
I didn't see the documentary but I don't doubt the emotion. My wife has an Arabian that also broke a bone similar to Barbaro. It was the coffin bone just above the hoof.

I am not a horse person, that is her passion. Mine seems to be collecting tools:) , anyway she went thru numerous vets that all told her there was nothing to be done and we should put her down.

My wife just couldn't. So she and her father rigged up some make shift bedding in the stall to try to keep her off the bad foot so it would heel.

Sure enough it has been more than a year and the bone has heeled. She gets gimpy from time to time when the other horses play with her. But she is still with us. Pasture pal now. She cannot support the weight of a rider or carry a birth.

You don't have to have a multi million dollar race horse to agonize over what is the right thing to do. It is amazing to experience these creatures up close when they are just running free in the pasture. Such a work of art and yet they have such fragile legs. It can all go bad with just one mis-step.

Great stress relievers as well. Just like working in the shop is to us.

Tim Wagner
05-07-2007, 9:51 PM
I didn't see the documentary but I don't doubt the emotion. My wife has an Arabian that also broke a bone similar to Barbaro. It was the coffin bone just above the hoof.

I am not a horse person, that is her passion. Mine seems to be collecting tools:) , anyway she went thru numerous vets that all told her there was nothing to be done and we should put her down.

My wife just couldn't. So she and her father rigged up some make shift bedding in the stall to try to keep her off the bad foot so it would heel.

Sure enough it has been more than a year and the bone has heeled. She gets gimpy from time to time when the other horses play with her. But she is still with us. Pasture pal now. She cannot support the weight of a rider or carry a birth.

You don't have to have a multi million dollar race horse to agonize over what is the right thing to do. It is amazing to experience these creatures up close when they are just running free in the pasture. Such a work of art and yet they have such fragile legs. It can all go bad with just one mis-step.

Great stress relievers as well. Just like working in the shop is to us.

That's a great outcome when you are able to help a animal/person become well again. I am sure your wife has a great sense of accomplishment in being able to help heal. :D

Mike Cutler
05-07-2007, 10:04 PM
Tim,

I saw a show a couple of months ago, maybe the same one, about Barbaro. The show was very well done. Barbaro was a courageous horse and it must have been a terribly difficult decision to put him down - even if it was for the best. I hope his brothers share his spirit and potential for greatness.

Belinda.
Barbaro was very special. Amongst great athletes he was a step above them.
Thoroughbred racing lost the next Seattle Slew in my opinion. A stud that had the potential to effect the breed for generations to come. Hopefully Nicanor, the first brother, and the unnamed foal born in April will possess Barbaro's genetics.
There is no artificial insemination allowed in thoroughbreds. All breedings must be "live coverage" and witnessed, so hopefully one of Barbaro's brothers will have that something special to pass on to succeeding generations that Barbaro was unable to.
Losing a stallion like Barbaro is a big hit to the breed.