PDA

View Full Version : Cute Little End Table

Hans Braul
05-05-2007, 8:36 PM
Some of you may recall an earlier thread where I asked which side of a tabletop to use:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=55260

I ended up cutting it up, resawing the middle two boards and laminating to some less distinguished boards. Here is the result.

I've been playing with the form of out-swept tapered legs for the past 9 months or so. I think these work, but it's time to move on. I was pleased with the top, though there is a small amount of streaking that happened during the shellacing process. Not sure if there's anything to be done about it.

I enjoyed making this table. It took forever due to many distractions, but it kinda makes me smile. I would appreciate any feedback/comments.

Cheers
Hans

Martin Shupe
05-05-2007, 8:41 PM
Hans,

The top is beautiful! Wonderful grain and matching.

Well done!

Mark Engel
05-05-2007, 8:42 PM
I remember your previous thread.

I really like the way the table came out. With the stock you had to work with, it looked to me like you would end up with a great table no matter which way you decided to go. I guess I was right again! :D

Pat Zabrocki
05-05-2007, 8:52 PM
Well done, that's some beautiful figure. Love the wavy grain!
Pat

glenn bradley
05-05-2007, 8:53 PM
That came out very well. I can't see the streaking in the photos but if it bothers you, I've rubbed out problems in shellac by using a lint free cloth wet with denatured alcohol.

Doug Shepard
05-05-2007, 9:27 PM
The whole design looks nice. I like the legs and arcs on the aprons and top. The great wood is just icing on the cake.

Tom Cowie
05-05-2007, 10:08 PM
Hi Hans

Great table and you did a super job on the finish.

Tom

mark page
05-05-2007, 10:41 PM
Hans,

Can you give a detail on your milling procedures for the legs. The total table turned out great. Love the figured top, and the legs set the total piece off with graceful beauty.

Roy Wall
05-06-2007, 12:38 AM
Hans - the table is beautiful.......the top, the legs....very nice!

Where the aprons attach to the legs at all joints, are they all less than 90*??? Love the swoop of the legs!

Hans Braul
05-06-2007, 7:26 AM
Hans,

Can you give a detail on your milling procedures for the legs. The total table turned out great. Love the figured top, and the legs set the total piece off with graceful beauty.

Hi Mark - thanks for the comment.

I started with 2" square stock. Using a piece of flexible scrap as a guide, I marked the curve I wanted on my first piece. The top 1/3 of the leg is completely straight, and the curve starts from there. I first cut the concave curves roughly on the bandsaw, then smoothed with a spokeshave. I used the resultin curve as a pattern for the rest. I then cut the convex curve on the bandsaw and finished with a block plane.

Roy, the aprons join the legs at 90 degrees. I've never attempted an angled M&T joint - maybe that's next.

Thanks for your kind comments
Hans

Tom Young
05-06-2007, 7:44 AM
I enjoyed making this table. It took forever due to many distractions, but it kinda makes me smile. I would appreciate any feedback/comments.

Cheers
Hans

Hans,

Your table made me smile too. I like the way you handled your earlier problem with the top. It is gorgeous. But what really caught my eye was the curve of the legs and aprons. Very pleasing to look at. You've done a great job.

Tom