PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw riser for 14" delta

Hank Merkle
05-05-2007, 7:54 PM
The riser kit for a 14" Delta seems quite high priced. Probably because I am cheap for one thing! I want to try to make one (welding, machining etc.)

Here is the question; what is the dimension of the riser block?
Are there any "Tricks" to making the block?

I know that I have to re-make the blade guard at the yoke and over the table, but those seem pretty simple.

I think the alignment of the top to the bottom will be a bit of trick as well, but I am planning to sight it in using Duginske's book on bandsaws.

One last thing, I have just purchased the Lowe's version, while I have it torn apart, are there any enhancements that any one has done to enhance or simply correct problems with the "Big Blue Box Chinese Version" of the real thing?

Thanks,

Hank Merkle

Matt Meiser
05-06-2007, 11:45 AM
I can't offer any tricks, but I didn't really think it was that badly priced when you look at how many pieces it comes with. In addition to the block itself, there is the connector bolt, new guard for the non-cutting side, new guard pieces for the cutting side, and a new post for the upper guard. Unless you have a lot of free time and access to very cheap materials, you will probably end up spending just as much.

Jerry Thompson
05-06-2007, 8:42 PM
Concerning riser blocks. Would the OEM motor have enough power to rip the wider lumber?

Mike Goetzke
05-06-2007, 9:32 PM
I looked around and was able to use a 20% off coupon at Rockler and paid about $88+tax. Next best was at ToolsPlus for $99+$6.50 shipping.

Mike

Hank Merkle
05-06-2007, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the pointers. I guess I didn't say that I was quoted $150 plus tax and $130 plus tax for the kit at two different places!

The purpose for the riser kit is for cutting bowl blanks for the lathe.

Jerry - as far as power, I will be putting on a 1 hp motor and if that does not do the trick, I have a 3 HP 220V (I am sure that will do it) (There may be some Tim Taylor Tool Time quote here, but I am not sure what it is...

Matt - I have most of the material and what I don't have I will get at work, but I think it is the challange as much as saving the money. My last project (and to tell the truth it continues) was to take a 70's vintage Enco turret lathe and turn it into a wood lathe. What made me do it was that the lathe has 5-C collets - great for pen, bottle stopper, or letter opener turning. Then I realized this lathe has 4" taper bearings! They got to be big to go over the diameter of the collets! That is when I had the bright idea to make it my "Big" lathe for larger turnings - I then aquired a DC drive and 1- 1/2 HP DC motor (yet to install) as well as a junked out Yates American lathe bed to put it on!

Mike- You get the GOLD STAR - that is the kind of suggestions I was looking for. If I can get it for $88 +tax, that might just allow me to put more time into the other unfinshed projects!

Thanks again for everyone's responses!

Hank Merkle

Loren Hedahl
05-06-2007, 10:04 PM
I would think making a new longer post for the upper guides would be the most challenging for the home shop.

The one on my Delta 14 is round bar stock with a slot cut in it lengthwise to fix the rotational orientation of the post.

This slot would need to be very accurate to prevent the blade from twisting along the exposed cutting portion.

Another thought comes to mind -- a 14 inch bandsaw isn't really an ideal size for doing much re-sawing.

Rather than purchasing an expensive riser kit, I think I would strongly consider an investment in a saw with a larger wheel size if I were interested in doing a significant amount of re-sawing. It is often possible to acquire 18 to 20 inch saws used for a pittance especially if they are older and cosmetically challenged.

Loren

Matt Meiser
05-07-2007, 11:58 AM
If you want to make it that is a whole different story than trying to make it to save money :D I think mine was $120 at the local tool shop. It can definitely be had cheaper, I just wanted it right away.

My saw has the stock 70's 3/4HP motor which is pretty powerfull for resawing, but a bigger motor would definitely be nice for regular use.

Mike Goetzke
05-07-2007, 10:31 PM
Hank - you owe me two gold-stars (Rockler 20% off coupon):

http://www.rockler.com/logon/20Off-One_item-Details_ext.cfm?cookietest=1

Also, I just got my kit last weekend and here is what you get:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/IMG_0942_2_1.jpg

Michael Wehling
05-09-2007, 11:24 PM
Mike,
Thanks for posting the picture of the riser block kit. I have a question if you don't mind indulging me. I have a 1968 Delta 14 inch and am considering the riser block kit. I suspect though that my guidepost is too large to be replaced by the one in the kit. I measured the guidepost tonight and it was 7/8" diameter with a hex pattern. My guess is the one supplied with the kit is a smaller diameter for newer saws, is that so?
Thanks Michael

Mike Goetzke
05-09-2007, 11:41 PM
Mike,
Thanks for posting the picture of the riser block kit. I have a question if you don't mind indulging me. I have a 1968 Delta 14 inch and am considering the riser block kit. I suspect though that my guidepost is too large to be replaced by the one in the kit. I measured the guidepost tonight and it was 7/8" diameter with a hex pattern. My guess is the one supplied with the kit is a smaller diameter for newer saws, is that so?
Thanks Michael

The guide post is 7/8" in diameter but it is round with a round groove.

Vic Damone
05-10-2007, 9:49 AM
Michael, If you have a chance to check out a new Delta14" you'll see that the guide casting still has a hex shaped hole but the new rods are round.

Vic

Mark Pruitt
06-13-2007, 1:36 PM
I just ordered a riser block for my Delta. I agree that it is over priced, but the best alternative for me would be to sell the Delta and buy a new BS, which would net me a minimum $350 out of pocket expense. So, either I spend $120 or $350 for the same end result. Factor in the inconvenience of advertising, taking calls, visits, etc., and waiting for the thing to sell, and selling/replacing becomes even less appealing. I will admit that I had to mull over that for a few days before coming to a conclusion, mostly because I am such a purist when it comes to nice pieces of WWing equipment. I don't like the idea of tricking out my BS, but I like excessive spending even less.

Bruce Wrenn
06-13-2007, 10:05 PM
Mike,
Thanks MichaelGet hold of Ittura Design as they stock hex guide posts.