PDA

View Full Version : Photographing Turnings

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-05-2007, 7:53 PM
Several weeks ago, I posted several pictures ao a "Dalmation" wood bowl. I received several very critical - and rightfully so - critiques of the pictures. I also received less that steller comments from a judge for a juried show. Luckily, the judge knows my work, so I'm in.

Below are two shots I took in a light box. What do you think of the photos?

Bruce

Martin Shupe
05-05-2007, 8:09 PM
Bruce,

I am no one to judge, but since you asked...

The bottom one appears to be very clean and crisp in focus and lighting.

The lighting is good on the top one, but I can't help but notice the tilt in the piece. It would be better if it was perfectly vertical.

Also, when I enlarge the top photo, it seems slightly out of focus, or not as "crisp" as the bottom one.

Having said that about the pics, I really like both the pieces! Excellent work!

Malcolm Tibbetts
05-05-2007, 8:33 PM
Bruce, the very first thing to do is get rid of the blue background. Your wood is picking up a bit of a blue cast from the background. Grey backgrounds are probably the best, with off white or even black being effective. The next thing to do is eliminate the horizontal distracting seam in the background. This is easily done by using seamless paper or even a window shade.

You are being very smart to improve your photos. In most shows and competitions, it's all the judges have and they will hardly take a second look at a poor photo, regardless of the turning.

Have you read Jamie's photo article at the top of the threads?

Corey Hallagan
05-05-2007, 11:29 PM
Nice turning Bruce! I would agree, use a much lighter background for your photos, it will compete with your turnings otherwise. You want the back ground to be just that, back ground. The tops photo is not so sharp where the bottom seems much more in focus. I think for the top photo you want to center it more in the photo and not crop it so close to the edges. I would have and inch or so at the bottom and a couple inches at the top.. know what I mean. Good work on your turnings Bruce.

Corey

Pat Salter
05-07-2007, 9:29 AM
I agree with everyone. top photo slight tilted and out of focus and lose the background. I made the mistake of using a light brown sheet and my pictures came out reddish brown.

Malcolm, what article? I've been looking for something like that. I can't seem to find it. I'm looking for a quick setup system for taking pictures at our club meetings.

Paul Engle
05-07-2007, 9:56 AM
Pat , at the top of the thread page , first one