PDA

View Full Version : spraying lacquer

Austin Dienner
05-05-2007, 6:08 PM
i was wondering what the best lacquer is to spray. i would like a water based and something that i get get without ordering online, maybe i could get it from Shermin Williams or some paint store like that. Thanks for the help.
austin

Dennis Peacock
05-05-2007, 7:05 PM
My SW store doesn't carry anything but PAINT. I can have them "order" lacquer but I have to purchase in Full Case Quantities.

I've sprayed a lot of Deft solvent based lacquer since WB lacquer isn't available around these parts. I know Jim Becker likes using the Target USL WB Lacquer and has excellent success with it.

mark page
05-05-2007, 9:40 PM
I vote for Target USL wb lacquer. I order it online from these guys and they have it drop shipped straight from Oxford chemicals. http://www.finishsystems.com/targetcoatingsultimaspraylacquer.html
I order in minimum amounts of three gallons at a time to get the quantity discount. I do believe you can order as small as a quart at a time. I order appx six times a year and always try to have at least a gallon-2gallons in reserve. Drop ship time is appx 10-12 days.
Hope this helps.

Tim Sproul
05-05-2007, 11:58 PM
I also like Target Coatings USL. It has one of the very important properties of solvent lacquer - 100% burn-in.

Go the Target Coatings website and see if there is a local retailer in your area. Otherwise you can order direct from them on their website. I'm unsure what getting it locally will do for you. Most finishes are non returnable once opened....and definitely not returnable once it leaves the store if tinted.

Terry Bigelow
05-07-2007, 5:50 PM
If you are dead set on SW's lacquerand don't want to go the mail order route, I can tell you it's pretty decent. I used thier Sher-wood pre-cat lacquer for quite some time and was pleased with the results. I switched to M.L. Cambell's MagnaMax lacquer(modified nitro-cellulose pre-cat) because the dry time is faster by far, it's less yellowing and is more durable. Problem is it's a solvent based stinker and I don't think it's even available to the public. We own a cabinet shop so SW sold us thier lacquer through one of thier bigger distribution hub's,but I think anyone can buy that.