PDA

View Full Version : Help with a New Planer choice

BARRY RESNICK
05-05-2007, 5:51 PM
Hi. I am new to the forum. I currently have a Delta lunchbox planer. I was looking to up grade. My budget is around $2000.

My choices are Powermatic 15HH for $2200 or the 20" Grizzly with a Shelix for $2290. I wanted the 20" Powermatic with shelix but the best price I could find was $2900 delivered.

Will the Grizzly or Yorkcraft perform similarly to the Larger PM?

I am I better off with the larger Grizzly?shelix or is the PM quality more important. I just can't pay $2900 for a planer since I am a hobbiest.

Thanks. Barry.

Roy McQuay
05-05-2007, 6:20 PM
Hi Barry, welcome to the Creek. I have a Delta lunchbox planer also. If I were to upgrade, I would go for a sander like a Performax 18-36. I would keep my planer for thicknessing boards for glue-up, then run my glued up slabs through the sander. That is for what I like to do. Just thought this might work for you too, and you would save $1000.

BARRY RESNICK
05-05-2007, 6:45 PM
If that were the case, would I be better off with the 15" Grizzly, Shelix and a drum sander? That would put me up to $3000. But I would have two tools.

Mike Thomas
05-05-2007, 6:58 PM
Wider is better. I have both a 24" planer and a 25" dual drum sander. I use my planer much, much more than the drum sander. As previously stated this is personal choice. All of my equipment has been purchased used and I have had no significant problems with any of it. If you buy quality equipment used it should out last you. Normally, I don't pay more than 50 cents on the dollar for used equipment (there are some exceptions). This way you can buy better quality and usually more machine than you currently need so that you can work into it. Just another point of view.

Roy McQuay
05-05-2007, 7:20 PM
If that were the case, would I be better off with the 15" Grizzly, Shelix and a drum sander? That would put me up to $3000. But I would have two tools.There will be more ideas and opinions, I am sure, read them all and do what is best for your use and money.