PDA

View Full Version : Considering Grizzly 1029Z Dust Collector

J Simpson
05-05-2007, 5:22 PM
Hello All,

I'm thinking about purchasing the Grizzly 1029Z dust collector, which comes with the 2.5 micron top bag. Any input on this dust collector, specifically the effectiveness of this bag? I would rather go with the 2hp as I would be wiring it 220v anyway, and the cost is not much different than a 1.5hp 110v/220v unit. What I am wondering is how well the 2.5 micron bag works, since the lower bag is still the 30 micron one? Anyone just replaced the lower bag with a plastic one similar to the Delta 50-760 and others? I don't want to buy it, and then turn around and start looking for better bags, etc. right away. I'm really hoping to get something for about that price that will work well right out of the box, and that I won't be thinking about replacing soon down the road.

By the way, my current DC is a shop vac and an open garage door, which leave a lot to be desired, so I'm pretty sure any DC will be a huge leap forward but still don't want to buy something inadequate.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Joe

Jeff Kerr
05-05-2007, 7:48 PM
I have this DC. Or just the 1029. I don't recall the exact number. Mine is about 3 years old and at the time the catalog listed it as a .3 micron bag.

They no longer offer this bag, (Or it was a misprint in the catalog). :o Regardless I am still using the original bags and they seem to work fine. I also use a trash can separator lid to get the big stuff before it goes thru the impeller.

I also have a Delta air filtration unit that I run when I am in the shop. It filters a good deal of dust as well.

Overall for the money I am happy with the performance of my Grizz DC. maybe someday I will step up to a true cyclone, but for now I think this works quite well.

Curt Harms
05-05-2007, 7:53 PM
I hope they don't offer a 2.5 micron top bag & 30 micron lower bag. That'd be kinda pointless. I have a similar Penn State unit with Wynn spun bond filter on top and plastic bag on the bottom. That works pretty well. I'd get 2.5 micron or smaller bags both top & bottom. Remember, the bottom bag is a filter as well until it gets full.

Curt

J Simpson
05-06-2007, 7:38 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm going to go ahead and order the DC from Grizzly. Lately I've been playing around making wooden planes, and really notice the amount of dust my bandsaw makes cutting (resawing) the cheeks. Dust collection has never been a big priority with me, but lately I've noticed my allergies definately seem to kick in after woodworking. I also have a shop-made hanging air filter using an old furnace blower, but without a dust collector the air filter itself just doesn't seem to be nearly adequate. I've finally decided the $$ spent is well worth it if it prevents health problems, either now or down the road.

scott spencer
05-06-2007, 7:56 PM
I've had the G1029 for over 4 years now and it's a workhorse. Several of my wwing friends have them too and all have performed well for years. It's got a good size 12" impeller decent power with the 2hp motor.

I upgraded to two of the 0.3 (or was it 2.5?) micron bags. Adding only one 2.5 mic bag is the low cost way of being able to claim that micron rating (a little "slippery" IMO). As Curt points out, the micron rating of the system is only as good as the weakest link...30 mics. You'll want to change out the bottom bag to another 2.5 mic bag (~ $25), or you can get a cannister filter and add a plastic bottom bag. You could add the plastic bag with the 2.5 mic bag but you'll greatly reduce the overall airflow of the system.

http://www.epinions.com/G1029Z (http://www.epinions.com/content_148680052356)