PDA

View Full Version : Pen Finishing

Nathan Camp
05-05-2007, 4:47 PM
Here is my latest pen. Sanded to 12000 micromesh and finished with Tung Oil.

This is the first one I've finished past 800 grit. I love the micromesh.:)

Nathan

Ron Raymond
05-05-2007, 5:28 PM
Very nice pen, Nathan. I just recently started using micromesh, too...I was amazed at how much difference it makes.

Jonathon Spafford
05-05-2007, 8:36 PM
Beautiful pen! The finish looks awesome... haven't yet tried micro-mesh. How long does the stuff last?

Bernie Weishapl
05-05-2007, 10:54 PM
Very nice pen. I would be interested to know how the tung oil holds up. Nice job.

Corey Hallagan
05-05-2007, 11:37 PM
Nice pen! Did you use a tung oil varnish or pure tung oil? Jonathan, micro mesh is great stuff. It will last a long time if you use it properly. You must wait to the finish you are sanding with it to be cured, otherwise it will be all loaded up with finish and it is basically runined. It can be washed with soap and water, in the washing maching etc. to get the dust clean, but you can't clean uncurred finish out of it.

Corey

Jonathon Spafford
05-05-2007, 11:41 PM
Nice pen! Did you use a tung oil varnish or pure tung oil? Jonathan, micro mesh is great stuff. It will last a long time if you use it properly. You must wait to the finish you are sanding with it to be cured, otherwise it will be all loaded up with finish and it is basically runined. It can be washed with soap and water, in the washing maching etc. to get the dust clean, but you can't clean uncurred finish out of it.

Corey

So wax is bad for it??? I sand pens with wax to cut down on dust and to fill the grain!

Nathan Camp
05-06-2007, 2:29 AM
Thanks Guys,

I've only had the micro mesh for a few days, so we will have to see how it holds up in the long run. I hear great things about it.

I used the Minwax Tung oil which has additives in it to accelerate curing time. I went to the local Rockler store and one of the guys working there turns pens and suggested it. It's the first time I've used it (the Minwax). I usually use pure tung oil on other projects. Usually cut the first couple of coats with turpentine. That may have worked just as well on this pen.

I put on a coat and waited about an hour before buffing it out (per the Rockler guys suggestion).

On another note. From recommendations on the web, I bought a can of Rennasance Wax. Did not use it on this pen. I'm not sure how I should use it. What I read, said a lot of pen turners were using it. I bought some, but now I cannot find recommendations on use.:o

By the way, the wood is King Wood.

Nathan

Ken Fitzgerald
05-06-2007, 4:00 AM
Guys....I've been hammering my micromesh. The trick to using it and extending it's life is to not get it too warm....keep you speed down when using it. If it gets too warm it will wear extremely fast but.......I like it a lot and will buy more!