PDA

View Full Version : My Son's First Turning ... Please Comment

Shane Whitlock
05-05-2007, 2:45 PM
My 12 year old son's first turning ... A goblet made of Box Elder burl.

My son, Kolton, was watching me turn a small hollow form and asked if he could turn something for Mothers day, so I chucked up a piece of wood and let him have at it. He loves playing on the lathes but has really never made anything other than wood shavings, but it looks like it was good practice for this piece.

He turned 90% of this and I must say he did a fantastic job! He roughed it out and shaped it using a couple different gouges, drilled out the center and hollowed it out with a scrapper, and did all the sanding and finish. The only thing I did was show him the correct way to use the tools and I made the final pass on the inside just to smooth it up a little.

The wood is from the Box Elder burl I picked up this weekend.

He is very proud of himself, and rightly so, and would love to read your comments.

Thanks everyone,

Shane and Kolton

Stephen Hibbs
05-05-2007, 2:49 PM
In all honesty, that's a really nice goblet. I've made a couple, and they are very tricky, especially on the inside. He also must have quite a bit of patience with the gouge and sandpaper to get such a good finish on a burl, that's a better finish than I would have gotten (I lack patience). I really like that little hollow form too, you should give it a post in it's own right. It looks like your son is ready for some bowl turning :D .

Robert McGowen
05-05-2007, 2:52 PM
I hope Mom has a display place ready. It is sure to be appreciated.

I also hope that your son is kneeling down in the photo. If not, you might want to clean up some! :eek:

Ken LaSota
05-05-2007, 2:54 PM
Kolton that is one nice goblet.I turned one similar to it about two months ago and drink from it all the time. Enjoy it and I'm sure your mother will be proud. Don't forget to sign the bottom and date it also the type of wood. Welcome to turnng and enjoy yourself you did good. Ken:) :)

Dennis Peacock
05-05-2007, 3:17 PM
That's an awesome piece Kolton.!!!!! :cool:

Now....knock dad off that lathe for a while today and turn another one and keep practicing those goblets!!! Before you know it? You'll be a Goblet Master!!!! :D

Ron Sardo
05-05-2007, 3:51 PM
Kolton,
There are certain gifts a few lucky mothers have the opportunity to treasure for their whole lives. When you give this goblet to your mother she will treasure it always. You did a wonderful job making it and should be very proud of yourself.

Shane,
So when are you buying your son his own lathe?

ROY DICK
05-05-2007, 5:01 PM
Kolton,

Outstanding piece of art work. Keep it up.

Roy

Roy Griggs
05-05-2007, 5:11 PM
Kolton,
Nice job on the goblet, keep turning...
roy

Ron Raymond
05-05-2007, 5:26 PM
Way to go Kolton! Very nice goblet...keep up the good work.

Steve Schlumpf
05-05-2007, 5:37 PM
Really nice work Kolton!! It's great to turn something and be happy with it and even better when you give it to someone else and they treasure it! Your Mom is going to absolutely love the goblet! So, what are you going to turn next??

Ron Journeau
05-05-2007, 6:25 PM
Oh, your Mom is gunna have to find a very special place to display that goblet, Kolton... she will cherish it forever. A very very nice job, and on a shape that can be quite challenging ( I know, my shelf above the lathe holds quite a few that didn't make the cut, I keep them there to remind me what not to do) :D

Neal Addy
05-05-2007, 6:28 PM
All right, Kolton! Time for your Dad to buy you your own lathe, don't ya think? ;)

Great job!

Ken Fitzgerald
05-05-2007, 6:41 PM
Very well done Kolton! Mom's gonna like that!

Dad....pony up for another lathe!:D

Ah.....the Abyss! It loves company!:D

Curt Fuller
05-05-2007, 6:47 PM
Very nice goblet Kolton! That's going to make your mom very happy and proud. What a great Mothers Day gift!

Frank Guerin
05-05-2007, 8:17 PM
Your son is a natural. I would accept this Shane so when he surpasses you that you will accept as part of life.

Jonathon Spafford
05-05-2007, 8:50 PM
I also hope that your son is kneeling down in the photo. If not, you might want to clean up some! :eek:

Rofl! :D

Great piece Kolton! That is some awesome looking wood and it's one fine goblet. Man, that finish is sure good too! What is the finish you used??

Your mom is going to be so proud(er) of you! Great work!!!

Shane Whitlock
05-05-2007, 9:22 PM
You guys are great and I appreciate the comments :D ... My son has read every one of them, several times! He keeps running into the room to see if theres more .. lol.

Getting a lathe for him is a great idea. Might have to check into getting a mini, be a good excuse to get another lathe :rolleyes:

Jonathon the finish is Seal-A-Cell. He put it on while it was still on the lathe, gave it a good soaking for about 10 minutes and then kicked up the speed and wiped it with a paper towel until it was dry to the touch. He then buffed it with White Diamond and carnaube wax. I wasn't sure how well it would work without letting the finish dry first before buffing but it looks like it worked great .. It sure shines.

Thanks again everyone ...
Kolton says Thanks too,

Shane and Kolton Whitlock

Jim Ketron
05-05-2007, 9:30 PM
Awesome Job Kolton!
It's Great that you decided to make your Mom a gift, much more special than a store bought gift!
Keep on turning!

Bernie Weishapl
05-05-2007, 10:38 PM
Kolton that is a fine job. Mom is going to love it. Kick old dad off the lathe and practice. Keep'em coming.

Roger Bell
05-06-2007, 10:37 AM
Clear off the top shelf in the trophy case and make room for more.........

Tom Sherman
05-06-2007, 12:20 PM
Great job Kolton, your mom is sure to love this Goblet. Great job to you too Shane for introducing your talented son to turning.