PDA

View Full Version : SawStop Question

Eddie Darby
05-05-2007, 2:29 PM
Has anyone heard of anyone having a serious injury with the SawStop?

Brian Dormer
05-05-2007, 3:03 PM
I don't know about people - but the demonstrations are decimating the hot dog population! :p

Kent E. Matthew
05-05-2007, 3:49 PM
I would absolutely love to have one, but I can populate my entire shop with 3000 dollars. I guess I don't use a tablesaw often enough to not respect it. I know a guy who had a table saw accident. He didn't lose any fingers, but he came close. He tried to reach over the top of the blade and just misjudged. Leave the guard on.

Jules Dominguez
05-05-2007, 5:12 PM
The cost delivered to your home with fence, mobile base and dado cartridge is more like $4500. Sawstop requires dealers to add a $400 shipping charge to the list price, and that doesn't cover the cost of delivery from the store to your home. The saw also requires a dust collector, which is more bucks if you don't already have one.
The safety system alone doesn't justify the high cost - quality also figures into it.
I've heard Sawstop will be coming out with a contractor saw with the safety system in the near future, at a much lower cost.

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-05-2007, 6:07 PM
Has anyone heard of anyone having a serious injury with the SawStop?

I dropped one on my foot.

These things take time. It's not every day that a person slips into a blade. Most of the time I'll bet the brake will work flawlessly. As they age and get dirty, living in humid cellars, and garages things may evolve that may produce other than stellar results - or not. Either way it's always a good idea to keep your hands out of moving blades.

Hunter Wallace
05-05-2007, 7:24 PM
Well, I can imagine that without other safety
equipment, i.e. splitter, anti-kickback device,
that saw should be just as dangerous as others
out there. The brake is going to make the machine
a heck of a lot safer, but I've seen some real
violent injuries from kickback.:(

Ken Milhinch
05-05-2007, 7:49 PM
Oh boy, here we go again.:eek: I'm gonna sit back and watch this one - should be fun.:D

David Giles
05-05-2007, 7:59 PM
I ran into the saw rails and put a big bruise on my thigh. Does that count?

Mark Engel
05-05-2007, 8:25 PM
I almost had a heart attack the first time I figured out the price for a complete package. Does that count?

Joe Jensen
05-05-2007, 8:48 PM
The cost delivered to your home with fence, mobile base and dado cartridge is more like $4500. Sawstop requires dealers to add a $400 shipping charge to the list price, and that doesn't cover the cost of delivery from the store to your home. The saw also requires a dust collector, which is more bucks if you don't already have one.
The safety system alone doesn't justify the high cost - quality also figures into it.
I've heard Sawstop will be coming out with a contractor saw with the safety system in the near future, at a much lower cost.

Not true, I called SawStop and asked, and they said dealers are not required to add shipping. Sawstop adds shipping to encourage customers to buy from their local dealers (protect the dealer network), but many dealers have added shipping on top because the margins are low. I bought mine from Timber Woodworking Machines in Mesa AZ and they did not charge me shipping, and as of 2 weeks ago, they do not add shipping on the to the list price. The guy who assembles them told me that they have been selling around 5 SawStops a week since they started selling them over a year ago. Maybe because they don't add shipping ;)

I talked the the manager of the local Woodcraft and he said they chose not to sell the SawStop because SawStop required them to keep 5 in stock at all times. Not a min order of 5, but a minimum inventory of 5 machines. The manager didn't think he could sell enough to make it worth having that much inventory. Plus, Timber Woodworking Machinery is only 6 miles away.

Do you have information from SawStop that contradicts what they told me?...joe

Mike Heidrick
05-05-2007, 10:26 PM
Who pays the shipping to Woodcraft.

Joe Jensen
05-06-2007, 1:05 AM
Who pays the shipping to Woodcraft.

I think wood craft. Who pays the shipping for everything else woodcraft sells?..joe

Homer Faucett
05-06-2007, 9:40 AM
Things must be a lot different in Arizona. I called every dealer within a reasonable distance, and they all charge for shipping, because Sawstop charges the dealer a fee, but less than the $525 charge that it would cost for delivery to your door here (I think it was $375). You can get an $80 break per saw if you wait until multiples are ordered. Woodcraft here does not keep SawStop on inventory--they order, and it can be delivered to your door, or to the store.

I bought at another local dealer because they actually had the saw in the shop--they had one 5hp model that had just sold, and I bought their 3hp model. If Woodcraft employs a guy to assemble the Sawstop's, I'd like to have his job. All you have to do is open the crate, put on the pigtail, and add a fence. I was told by Sawstop that you have to order through dealers now, not direct.

Not true, I called SawStop and asked, and they said dealers are not required to add shipping. Sawstop adds shipping to encourage customers to buy from their local dealers (protect the dealer network), but many dealers have added shipping on top because the margins are low. I bought mine from Timber Woodworking Machines in Mesa AZ and they did not charge me shipping, and as of 2 weeks ago, they do not add shipping on the to the list price. The guy who assembles them told me that they have been selling around 5 SawStops a week since they started selling them over a year ago. Maybe because they don't add shipping ;)

I talked the the manager of the local Woodcraft and he said they chose not to sell the SawStop because SawStop required them to keep 5 in stock at all times. Not a min order of 5, but a minimum inventory of 5 machines. The manager didn't think he could sell enough to make it worth having that much inventory. Plus, Timber Woodworking Machinery is only 6 miles away.

Do you have information from SawStop that contradicts what they told me?...joe

Jules Dominguez
05-06-2007, 12:13 PM
Joe, I live in the Atlanta area, and bought the Sawstop from Redmond Machinery. They're a reputable outfit and I didn't question the truth of their statement. I expected a hefty shipping charge to get the saw from Oregon to Atlanta. Whether Sawstop forces Redmond to add the shipping charge or whether Redmond added it at their own initiative, I had to pay it if I wanted to buy the saw from them. The point of my post was and is that the saw costs a lot more than $3000. Heck, I didn't mention the 6% sales tax that was also included in my cost.

Dennis Peacock
05-06-2007, 2:45 PM
Interesting discussion. :)

Don Bullock
05-06-2007, 6:23 PM
Not true, I called SawStop and asked, and they said dealers are not required to add shipping. Sawstop adds shipping to encourage customers to buy from their local dealers (protect the dealer network), but many dealers have added shipping on top because the margins are low.
...joe

Joe, I don't have information from SawStop, but my dealer claims that SawStop requires that they add in the cost. I saw him at the Woodworking show today and that's exactly what I was told again. You can take it whichever way you want, but either the dealers or the person you talked to at SawStop are not being completely truithful. Since all the dealers, except the one you bought one from seem to be claiming that SawStop requires that they charge a shipping, I would say that you found a dealer that's unusual. Fortunately for me, I found a dealer that has already made up that cost in added service, and he has offered to give me some good deals in the future. I'm a very satisfied customer.:D

Homer Faucett
05-06-2007, 7:12 PM
It can be, but does not have to be a lot more than $3000. I think mine was about $3300 out the door with taxes and a Jet mobile base. I did not buy an extra brake cartridge or a dado set. I am not including the $275 I paid for the Incra TSLS.

The point of my post was and is that the saw costs a lot more than $3000. Heck, I didn't mention the 6% sales tax that was also included in my cost.