PDA

View Full Version : kitchen cabinets advice

Jeffrey Allaire
05-05-2007, 1:37 PM
I had a plan to build some kitchen cabinets. I was going to build the cabinets from mdf and facings out of redwood cedar to match our kitchen door. for the cabinet doors I was going to take 1x3 cedar and use my tongue and groove router bits to make a groove in the 1x3 for the rail & stile. and then slide some cedar 1/4"x??? wainscoting as the panel. I asked a question on another forum about sliding in the 1/4" wainscoting weather the piceces should be just slid into each other or should they be gluded? I'm talking about the cedar wainscoting as it's factory made t&g.

I never received a straight answer and was told not to use cedar as it 's too soft for kitchen cabinet. I'm looking for more advice. the cabinets themselves don't usually take a beating.. I figured as long as the counter top was good I would be alright.

Jeff

Mark Engel
05-05-2007, 2:44 PM
I do not glue the panels into the grooves in the frame on a flat panel door. The door frames are glued together at the corners and the panels are slid into the grooves with no glue and allowed to 'float'. The flat panel doors I have made used 1/4" plywood for the panel.

Jeffrey Allaire
05-05-2007, 7:10 PM
I was wondering if I would glue the cedar waiscotting as I'm using it for the insert and the pieces are 1/4"x3 1/2" tongue and grove. should I glue them to make one panel?

Mark Rakestraw
05-05-2007, 7:20 PM
I've only done one kitchen using beadboard style wainscoating and I glued it up to make the panels. I put glue only on the backside of the tongue, to insure I didn't have squeeze out on the front. I don't know that it was necessary to glue up panels. but I thought it may help prevent rattles.

Mark