PDA

View Full Version : Wood Turning Instruction

Julie Wright
01-02-2004, 7:42 AM
Hey Folks,
Isn't there a school down south here that teaches wood turning? I have heard of Arrowmount and of course David Ellisworth, but I was looking for something a little closed south.
Thanks
Julie

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
01-02-2004, 7:57 AM
Hey Folks,
Isn't there a school down south here that teaches wood turning? I have heard of Arrowmount and of course David Ellisworth, but I was looking for something a little closed south.
Thanks
Julie

My neighbor and his wife attended a school somewhere down your way last year. I think he told me it was $1,500.00 for both of them for a week, including food and lodging. I'll see if I can get the name and address from him today and get it to you.

Thanks,
Ron

Richard Allen
01-02-2004, 8:21 AM
Hi Julie

Your local woodturning club should be a good source for learning woodturning.

Look at the work by members of the club in the instant gallery. Decide what kind of turning you would like to learn. Aproach the unsepectring turner and ask if they would be willing to mentor you. You can easly find several acomplished woodturners in your local area who could teach you woodturning in a very short time.

The annual AAW symposium in in Orlando this July. You should make plans to attend. You will be exposed to more options in woodturning than you can imagine. If you can drive down with one or more club members you will also have the benifit of talking up the demos on the way down and reviewing the demos on the way back.

Good Luck

Richard

Jim Becker
01-02-2004, 9:18 AM
There is an Instructor's Directory near the back of the AAW (http://www.woodturner.org) Resource Directory that might be helpful to you in locating someone who teaches formally in your area. But Richard is correct, your local AAW chapter is one of the best sources for local mentors and many times, the cost is "really, really low". I will also second the motion that you plan on attending the 2004 AAW Symposium in Orlando this summer...you will not believe the awesome experience it will bring to you. There is information on that at the AAW web site.

That being said, don't rule out a learning experience with folks like David Ellsworth, John Jordan, Bill Grumbine and many of the other well-known artisans that teach. While there is a cost involved, the time you spend will greatly enhance and focus your turning abilities and efforts. The three days I spent with David have been "priceless". (I have an article on my site about that weekend with pictures in case you are interested)

Pete Lamberty
01-02-2004, 9:31 AM
Hi Julie, With all due respect to all the other people to learn wood turning from. Go to Arrowmont. Don't let the feeling that it is to far for you to drive, keep you from attending their school. Besides the woodturning, it will be a completely mentally invigorating experience. I once described it as going on a vacation to a foreign country. It is also a great value. You get a lot for your money. Try it this summer and you will be going again and again. Pete

Glenn Hodges
01-02-2004, 9:48 AM
Julie, a good school not far from you in Brasstown, N. C. is the John Campbell Folk School. I have taken courses there. They have a shop with about 10 lathes in it. Contact them for a catalog and pick out the instructor that you feel would be the best for you. I like the small classes, and hands on instruction, . I think the cost is very reasonable. The local AAW chapters like it so much they give sholarships to John Campbell.

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
01-02-2004, 11:07 AM
Hey Folks,
Thanks
Julie

my neighbor went to and they were very pleased with the instructions and atmosphere.

Thanks,

Ron