PDA

View Full Version : Spray Gun for Latex

Chris Fairbanks
05-05-2007, 3:32 AM
Hi, I have two Astro HLVP Conversion guns I use for clear finishes. I need to spray some latex on a bunch of trim and crown molding. I don't think the Astro is going to be able to do it even with a large tip so I was looking for a recommendation on a decent gun to spray latex. I don't have a budget set but don't want to break the bank either.

Thanks!
Chris

Brian Parker
05-09-2007, 1:39 PM
Chris,

The airless seems to be the best choice, check out Gleem Paints (http://www.gleempaint.com/airspray.html). If you don't mind a recond there are alot of great deals at Gleem. If I was to repaint a few rooms in a house I would certainly go this route.

Having said that I don't use my gun to paint rooms since they always have stuff in them and its quicker for me to roll them. It brings back memories of the summer I painted in college (thus why I went back vowing to graduate) I spray gun mostly metal, some wood projects but I stain alot. I am a rebel and I like to spray oils so I went with the Wagner HVLP since it does latex (you need a big tip) not to mention oil and it does the clears and stain. It seems to be a good gun and its a fair price (120-160 I believe) Some places that have it are Gleem Paint and Amazon. Do a search on here and you'll find a lot of posts about it. I believe Jim Becker has a post on his website (http://sawsndust.com/r-wagnerhvlp.htm)about it. Thats what pushed me over the edge to go out and get one. I got mine from Amazon when they had a 20% off all painting supplies sale for something like which made it cheaper than Gleem but I hear only good things about Gleem.

Edit: Here is a link to that gun from Gleem (http://www.gleempaint.com/hvcongunnew.html)

HTH

glenn bradley
05-09-2007, 3:19 PM
If it is a one shot deal I would definitly rent a pump based airless (like a Graco). I use paint sprayers about as often as I use a boat. In both cases I can rent a much nicer unit than I am willing to buy. Use it, clean it, return it, done.

Sam Shank
05-10-2007, 10:20 AM
Have you thought about spraying something other than latex on the moldings? Like a waterbased acrylic like SW ProClassic, or even a tinted water based lacquer like Target USL?

You can get target tinted from Jeff Jewitt at homesteadfinishing.com, or you can tint it yourself. I have used Golden Fluid Acrylic paint, which is what target suggests. I would guess any fluid acrylic would work, though. You can get these at just about any art store, such as Michaels, Pat Catans, etc.

Jason Roehl
05-10-2007, 5:25 PM
What Sam said--S-W's ProClassic Waterborne. Sprays just fine from an HVLP with a larger needle--did just that this past weekend on a couple of dressers that were for a combo 4H/Eagle Scout project (I got roped into it somehow...;) ). You'll probably have to thin it with water about 10% or so. Oh, and whatever sheen level you want, pick the next highest one. For whatever reason, I think they're one level off in their nomenclature.

Phil Phelps
05-11-2007, 9:11 AM
What Sam said--S-W's ProClassic Waterborne. Sprays just fine from an HVLP with a larger needle--did just that this past weekend on a couple of dressers that were for a combo 4H/Eagle Scout project (I got roped into it somehow...;) ). You'll probably have to thin it with water about 10% or so. Oh, and whatever sheen level you want, pick the next highest one. For whatever reason, I think they're one level off in their nomenclature.

Is it only with Sherwin-Williams products or the fact that a loss in sheen occurs when the paint is atomized through spray equipment?

Sam Shank
05-11-2007, 10:40 AM
It's only this particular SW product. The other SW products are on track, but this one seems to be dull by about 1 grade.

Jason Roehl
05-11-2007, 8:12 PM
What Sam said--same result, brushed, rolled or sprayed. I do believe that they have now come out with a "high gloss" version, which is probably more what I would consider a standard gloss. With any waterborne product, the only time I have had an issue with the sheen not being as advertised, it was due to too thin of a dry film (except the ProClassic, of course). More paint brought the sheen up to where it belonged.

Leo Graywacz
05-21-2007, 8:32 AM
I bought a gun from HD, it was made by Husky. It was a pressure cup gun. It would introduce pressurized air into the cup to help move things along. I call it my mud gun. I can use latex and alkyd primers and paints in it with little thinning and get great atomization. I thin it with 2 oz of thinner or water depending on product to 32 oz of paint. I don't operate with the needle in its full open position, maybe 1/2 to 2/3 open. It came with two air caps, one looks normal with the fan adjuster air holes and another that is just a slot, chuck the slot one, it is useless.

Peter Elliott
05-29-2007, 12:37 PM
Wagner HVLP Conversion Gun

Used the gun for years now. Latex, WB Polys, etc.

Works perfect and cost effective.

Buy it from Gleem, guys are great to deal and will answer all your questions.

Read Jim's review, good one.

-Peter