PDA

View Full Version : Pay shipping when buying locally???

Steve Jensen
05-04-2007, 10:13 PM
I stopped by Woodcraft to kick the tires on a SawStop. I inquired about the price and the guy starting adding it up... Saw-$2799, Shipping-$150... what? Shipping? I'm picking it here and I still have to pay shipping? Yes, he said, we charge shipping even if you pick it up at the store.

Is this normal?

Don Bullock
05-04-2007, 10:30 PM
It is a cost that is required by SawStop to keep the price the same at all dealers. While it may not be normal for the industry, it is for a SawStop.

The only way you can get any kind of a "deal" on a SawStop is to find a dealer that will do some services for free or a low cost. I checked with the retailer you mentioned and their service at my closest store only included helping me load a crated saw on my truck or having one "drop shipped", from Oregon. Where I bought my SawStop, they uncrated the saw, checked all the tolerances, set it all up, placed it on a mobile base that I bought from them, installed the cord that I provided and delivered it to my home (garage shop) where the driver helped me wheel it into position. The only addition I had to pay above what SawStop requires was $50 for the delivery truck with a liftgate (actual bill for this service was $195). If I had used a freight company without a liftgate, the delivery from their store would have been free.

Steve Jensen
05-04-2007, 10:35 PM
Thanks Don, that helps and makes me feel better.

Bart Leetch
05-04-2007, 10:42 PM
Sounds like everything about Sawstop is more expensive but fingers are worth it. Thats why I use Grippers & other push shoes & ways to control the material & a splitter & guard.

Don Bullock
05-04-2007, 10:49 PM
I use those with my SawStop.

John Hulett
05-04-2007, 11:26 PM
I stopped by Woodcraft to kick the tires on a SawStop. I inquired about the price and the guy starting adding it up... Saw-$2799, Shipping-$150... what? Shipping? I'm picking it here and I still have to pay shipping? Yes, he said, we charge shipping even if you pick it up at the store.

Is this normal?

I felt the same disbelief at the same answer to the same question at the same store. I asked, "For $150, is that delivered to my door?"

Nope - that's another $75... But that includes the lift gate.

Sheesh!

I wonder if you can arrange your own freight... Anybody try this?

- John

Doug Shepard
05-05-2007, 7:28 AM
I wonder if you can arrange your own freight... Anybody try this?

I seriously doubt you'd come out ahead. Freight rates quoted to individual shippers usually are way above the rates that carriers charge to business accounts. Companies usually get significant discounted rates because carriers compete with each other to get selected as that company's preferred carrier.

Rob Blaustein
05-05-2007, 8:55 AM
...Where I bought my SawStop, they uncrated the saw, checked all the tolerances, set it all up, placed it on a mobile base that I bought from them, installed the cord that I provided and delivered it to my home (garage shop) where the driver helped me wheel it into position. The only addition I had to pay above what SawStop requires was $50 for the delivery truck with a liftgate (actual bill for this service was $195). If I had used a freight company without a liftgate, the delivery from their store would have been free.

That premium seems like a great deal given what they did for you. That would take me hours to do, even after rounding up a few extra hands to help (which would take days to coordinate...). Well worth it.

Just looking at the shipping charges--it looks like the cost of shipping has actually come down quite a bit from what I recall in older threads, is that right?

Al Willits
05-05-2007, 8:56 AM
Its not only the sawstop, many heavier items at woodcraft have a shipping charge, works ok for me though, when I consider shipping and Minn 7% tax, online buying becomes even more a deal.

Al

Steve Jensen
05-05-2007, 9:45 AM
Actually, now that I take a closer look, $150 is a bargin considering what it would cost to have it shipped directly from SawStop. Check out these outrageous shipping rates on their website.

http://www.sawstop.com/documents/ShippingRatesbyState.pdf

glenn bradley
05-05-2007, 10:55 AM
Its a reach but if your WC manager is agreeable, maybe they could drop it at your house as long as they're coming through town anyway(???). This would be a completely subjective and unofficial 'favor'. Based on arranging your own shipping for that kind of weight and SawStop's published charges, I'd say that while unusual, what they're offering is still a good deal.

Joe Jensen
05-05-2007, 12:10 PM
It is a cost that is required by SawStop to keep the price the same at all dealers. While it may not be normal for the industry, it is for a SawStop.

The only way you can get any kind of a "deal" on a SawStop is to find a dealer that will do some services for free or a low cost. I checked with the retailer you mentioned and their service at my closest store only included helping me load a crated saw on my truck or having one "drop shipped", from Oregon. Where I bought my SawStop, they uncrated the saw, checked all the tolerances, set it all up, placed it on a mobile base that I bought from them, installed the cord that I provided and delivered it to my home (garage shop) where the driver helped me wheel it into position. The only addition I had to pay above what SawStop requires was $50 for the delivery truck with a liftgate (actual bill for this service was $195). If I had used a freight company without a liftgate, the delivery from their store would have been free.

I did not have to pay shipping at my local Timber Woodworking Machines store. Recently I mentioned that Woodcraft was charging shipping and the manager just laughed, He said more power to them if they can get it. He didn't mention anything about SawStop requiring it. The local Woodcraft doesn't sell them because according to the manager, they are required to keep a current inventory of 5 machines, and the margins are very thin..joe

Gary Curtis
05-05-2007, 12:56 PM
I retired from FedEx, so those numbers reflect the 'true cost' of moving machinery around. When I had a dealer in Los Angeles ship my general cabinet saw 600 miles north to my new home, my company discount brought the 700-pound machine to $270. (including a lift-gate truck)

For the guy in the street, the price should have been between 50 cents and a dollar per pound.

For machiney sold directly through the corporation, you pay shipping. If representative dealers are involved, one usually is hit with freight to their showroom. It's the price you pay for being able to see and touch (and question) the equipment locally.

Gary Curtis
Northern Calif.:)

Dave Lehnert
05-05-2007, 6:39 PM
No such thing as a free lunch. You pay shipping for EVERYTHING you buy. A gallon of milk has shipping cost built in. The store pays shipping to their door just like you would if it was sent to your house.

James Phillips
05-05-2007, 7:44 PM
To reiterate you pay for shipping on everything you buy. Most of the time it is just hidden in the price. SawStop is atleast being honest about it. Also keep in mind it is a small compan and does not have multiple factories or warehouses.

Mark Engel
05-05-2007, 8:20 PM
I wonder how many other high quality table saw manufacturers require their dealers to charge shipping charges for local pickups.

If I order something to be delivered to my home, I expect to pay shipping charges. I don't expect to pay a shipping charge for items picked up by me at the store.

We, as consumers have allowed this to happen with new vehicle sales. Now it is a standard charge when you buy a new vehicle. Hopefully, we won't soon have to start to paying $5.00 + S&H for a gallon of milk.

Joe Jensen
05-05-2007, 8:50 PM
To reiterate you pay for shipping on everything you buy. Most of the time it is just hidden in the price. SawStop is atleast being honest about it. Also keep in mind it is a small compan and does not have multiple factories or warehouses.

See my post above.

Joe Jensen
05-05-2007, 9:28 PM
I wonder how many other high quality table saw manufacturers require their dealers to charge shipping charges for local pickups.

If I order something to be delivered to my home, I expect to pay shipping charges. I don't expect to pay a shipping charge for items picked up by me at the store.

We, as consumers have allowed this to happen with new vehicle sales. Now it is a standard charge when you buy a new vehicle. Hopefully, we won't soon have to start to paying $5.00 + S&H for a gallon of milk.

See my post above.

James Phillips
05-06-2007, 11:40 AM
See my post above.

That is why I said to REITERATE (it means to restate) LOL:)

David Eisan
05-06-2007, 12:08 PM
Hello there,

I order six figures of Delta and General a year and both have a prepaid order amount. If I order over $xxxx.xx from either, they pay the shipping. I have learned that Sawstop does not work that way/have a prepaid order amount. On my opening order of $xxxxx.xx I will be paying $1700.00 for shipping.

Your dealer is just dividing up his shipping costs by the number of saws he ordered. Heck, you pay delivery on a car dont you?

David, eager to see the Sawstop in person and give it a try...