PDA

View Full Version : 2003 In The Rearview Mirror

Keith Outten
01-02-2004, 12:24 AM
The new year brings us closer to our first anniversary at SawMill Creek and looking back at February 2003 we truly have come a long way. Those of you who made the transition from Badger Pond to the Creek might remember that we had a bit of a rocky start, the first week I made a major error in the administrative back office and inadvertently deleted the Power Tool Forum....ouch! We lost hundreds of messages and our backup system had not been fully configured to include the SawMill Creek server. As bad as I felt about my foolish error everyone was very kind and took the loss in stride.

Woodworkers kept pouring in during the first thirty days and the largest complaint we heard was that people missed the old style thread listing from Badger Pond. Aaron performed some programing magic and quickly setup as close a system as possible to help make SawMill Creek as user friendly as he could. Aaron's Threaded Listing was used heavily in the early months as everyone adjusted to the vBulletin software.

Throughout the summer and fall our growth has been steady and the statistics we have posted monthly have continued to document our progress. The first day of January 2004 has arrived and we have over 1700 members, have logged over 40,000 posts and occupy over 250 megabytes of disk storage space. This year we hope to at least double our membership but more importantly keep our active member ratio as high as it is now, over forty percent of our members post at least one message every thirty days.

The overall success of SawMill Creek can only be attributed to a core group of members who joined us in the early days and have contributed their time and talent each and every day. Posting new threads and pictures, helping us to bring an empty forum to life these people set the standards for our community, welcomed each new member personally and encouraged those who followed to pull up a log and join us!

Since our members represent our first line of defense in moderating all of our forums the work load on our staff has been very reasonable. Sharing the work load among each of our members will no doubt be the sole reason that we will be able to continue "Running On Friendship".

With a monetary budget of ZERO we have built a community of friends that includes woodworkers from over 21 nations.

From the Moderators and Administrative Staff of SawMill Creek to all our friends and members thank you for your time, patience and contributions to this woodworking community.

Health and happiness to you and your families in the coming year, please work safely and visit us as often as you can.

Dick Parr
01-02-2004, 8:48 AM
Keith,

I for one would like to thank You and Aaron, along with all the moderators of the SMC for the work and efforts you have put in. I know that there have been some long hard hours put in to get this up and running and keeping it going. You have made a family here and I am glad to be a member of it. ;)

Thanks again

Tyler Howell
01-02-2004, 8:57 AM
Thank you very much!
As a result of the Creek Boys and Girls, some interests are becoming skills.

Knowledge is power. ;)

TJH

Dave Crabbs
01-02-2004, 9:03 AM
Thanks Keith,
Has it been a almost a year already. I remember when the Pond announced that they were closing down, then you posted that you could provide a forum where woodworkers could hangout and enjoy talking woodworking like we had on the Pond. Well them were some Big Shoes to fill and I think you Fill them and more!!!!
Once again, Thank You for providing us wayward woodworkers a Top Notch Forum to hangout and share our woodworking knowledge.

Best wishes for the New Year,
Dave

Lee Schierer
01-02-2004, 9:43 AM
Keith thanks to you and the Staff for a truly enjoyable place to spend some spare time and talk woodworking.

Byron Trantham
01-02-2004, 9:57 AM
Keith, I didn't have the pleasure of the "Pond", I stumbled onto your site by accident from a site I had been frequenting for quite awhile. After a few weeks of cruising, I bailed from my old site to SMC and never looked back. I think vBulletin is great software. I can't speak for the Pond, but I am here to tell you it is so much better than my old site.

Keep up the great work and have happy and prosperous New Year!

John Piwaron
01-02-2004, 9:59 AM
The new year brings us closer to our first anniversary at SawMill Creek.

over forty percent of our members post at least one message every thirty days.

Since our members represent our first line of defense in moderating all of our forums the work load on our staff has been very reasonable. Sharing the work load among each of our members will no doubt be the sole reason that we will be able to continue "Running On Friendship".

Thanks for providing Saw Mill Creek. IMO, sharing the workload should go a long way towards preventing anyone from burning out.

Thanks again.

John Miliunas
01-02-2004, 10:14 AM
Wow! Almost a year already? The old saying, "Time flies when you're having fun!" certainly applies here! My heartfelt "THANKS" to you, your immediate staff and the moderators who keep it all running so smoothly! I truly believe that everyone here appreciates all that we have here. On one of the other threads recently, someone mentioned that SMC has more to offer than WW magazines. No bout adout it! :D Yeah, I like my mags but, they don't provide real-time feedback. You can't readily and easily post pictures. No such thing as "off topic". Most importantly, I'm not friends with *any* of my magazines! I sincerely feel like I've many many friends here at SMC, where we are not only able to share WW knowledge, but help on just about *any* other subject, humor, grief, frustration and even the occasional prayer for those in need. Folks, it just don't get any better than this!

So, before I continue in my usual rambling, once again, a great BIG THANKS to all those providing us with this spectacular vehicle, as well as an equally BIG THANKS to all those who visit and take the time to share! One wouldn't be here without the other! Happy New Year to ALL! :cool:

Bruce Foley
01-02-2004, 12:34 PM
Indeed this has been a year of transition. I also remember the panic at the announcement of the draining of the Pond. Kudos to Keith and Aaron for the smooth transition from the Pond. This truly feels like home now. I cannot express adequately, my gratitude and appreciation for your efforts.

The community has carried on with the same grace and friendliness that we were all accustomed to on the Pond. Thanks also to Ken Salisbury for his efforts in keeping us civil. This surpasses, without doubt, the atmosphere of the Pond. I also am grateful to all the "old hands" that make the Creek what it is in spirit and usefulness for those of us of all experience levels. :) Happy New Year!!!

Bruce Foley

John Schreiber
01-02-2004, 2:34 PM
Thanks to the Administrators and the Forum Moderators, you have made a big contribution to woodworking and to community on the internet.

I especially want to thank the frequent contributors. Y'all are the face and personality of The Creek. Clicking on SMC on my favorites list is like opening the door of a diner where I know there will be lots of friendly people.

Although I seldom contribute, I am proud to be welcome here.

Glenn Clabo
01-02-2004, 2:53 PM
Keith,
What can I say but thanks for starting all this. It's pretty amazing to see how this has grown and more importantly how it still keeps it's hometown feeling. You started it with an idea and an attitude that continues to bring me back. It's simply more comfortable here than anywhere else. I hope you and all those helping can keep from getting burnt out.

Dave Arbuckle
01-02-2004, 3:00 PM
I recall a couple times being pretty pessimistic toward your goals, whilst the Pond was winding down. I didn't think a similar environment to the Pond would maintain itself without the Herculean type of effort Wayne put in.

Eleven months later, I'm oddly rather pleased to feel I was wrong. Congratulations to all y'all, job well done.

Dave

Mark Bachler
01-02-2004, 3:05 PM
Just got here & already having fun!! Best of luck to all involved for 2004.

Bud Duffy
01-02-2004, 3:51 PM
Keith and Arron thank youso much for providing a real freindly comfortable place to just sit and visit. This is the only site i go to anymore i just could not take the crap at the others.Again ThankYou and keep up the good work.

John Scarpa
01-02-2004, 5:22 PM
Keith, you and Aaron and the moderators have done an excellent job. You have all created a community that can be relied on for sound advice and great commraderie. There is a gold mine of information on this site and it just keeps getting better. Thanks again,
John

Todd Burch
01-02-2004, 5:30 PM
Ditto, ditto, ditto. Todd.

Ken Garlock
01-02-2004, 9:23 PM
Ditto, ditto, ditto. Todd.

I second, even third, that :)

Tom Peterson
01-02-2004, 9:37 PM
thanks to the moderators, administrators and members who make this a worthwhile stop everytime. I also came over from the pond, and feel this is one of the best ww forums on the net. I enjoy the information and spirited conversations.

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
01-02-2004, 10:10 PM
Ditto!!!! To what has been said.

Von Bickley
01-02-2004, 11:31 PM
Thanks to Keith, his staff, the moderators, and all the SMC members for making this the best woodworking site.

David Klug
01-03-2004, 12:02 AM
Keith and Aaron. I want to thank both of you for all the work you have done putting this forum together. I have never seen a nicer forum where you can make friends all over the world, get good help and advice. The people on this forum are definitely the cream of the crop who are willing to share advice and wisdom from their experiences. This is just priceless for novices such as I am.
Gods blessing and a happy and prosperous New Year to each and everyone of you.

Dave

Bruce Page
01-03-2004, 12:32 AM
Time flies when you’re having fun! I was one of those early whiners having a hard time with the new format. It took me a while to adjust but I am glad I stuck with it – this is the best forum on the web with the best people!

My thanks to all of you!

David Rose
01-03-2004, 1:03 AM
All I can say is... HOW IN THE WORLD DID YOU FIND TIME TO LOOK BACK AT THIS SPE-E-E-E-E-ED???!! :D

I am grateful to be a member here. To Keith and staff, the moderators, and the members here I salute!

The internet in general and the Saw Mill "Crick" and the Pond specifically have been my primary educators for wood working. You folks really generated my interest with fine work and interest in sharing. Then you helped me figure out a few tools and taught me good safe ways to use them or referred me to books that would do the same. Sure there is some hoopla to sort through as with anything. And there are those stinkin' mandatory get togethers where the food is too good and the fellowship better. :rolleyes:

But most of all, there is a family here. And the door is always open to anyone with good intentions! Even pushers like Arbuckle. Ever looking for the tool addict. :D :D :D

David