PDA

View Full Version : Through Dado help.

ryan smythe
05-04-2007, 7:08 PM
I was curious to see if anyone had a better way to do this? at the moment i am using a 3/8 upcut spiral bit with an edge guide. I am only cutting 1/4 deep on each pass.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Andrew Williams
05-04-2007, 7:51 PM
I did those with a downcut, from both sides. Downcut spiral makes a cleaner edge.

Tom Cowie
05-04-2007, 8:57 PM
I did those with a downcut, from both sides. Downcut spiral makes a cleaner edge.

I agree with Andrew,

Down cut one pass or two, flip and finish from the other side.

Tom

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-04-2007, 10:15 PM
Yah down cut and I rather suspect the better term is "slots."

Tim Sproul
05-05-2007, 1:21 AM
Plunge saw most of the waste. Go back and rout in a single pass.

A biscuit joiner can be used similar to a plunge saw, albeit not as convenient nor as safe.

What do you mean by better? Do you have 100 more of those to mill? Or are you looking for better surface quality after routing? Or something else?

ryan smythe
05-05-2007, 9:49 AM
i do have about a 100 more to do. i like the idea about the plunge saw i will give that ago. i am not having problems with the quality of the cut it just takes quite a long time to get them done.

glenn bradley
05-05-2007, 10:51 AM
I like Tim's idea. If you have the means to plunge saw most of the waste out you could do the clean up in a single pass.

Mike K Wenzloff
05-05-2007, 10:55 AM
Consider using a compression bit...a compression bit is upcut on the end and downcut on the shank end. You will get a clean cut on both sides of the piece.

Take care, Mike

ryan smythe
05-05-2007, 11:08 AM
i do have a plunge cut saw so tomorrow i will give it a try. i was thinking that it might take just as long though cause i will have to line up all the cuts. it will be a bit easier on the router though.

Tim Sproul
05-05-2007, 12:39 PM
i do have a plunge cut saw so tomorrow i will give it a try. i was thinking that it might take just as long though cause i will have to line up all the cuts. it will be a bit easier on the router though.

I think this is an instance where the guided circular saw combined with saw stops systems will shine for helping speed things up.

You've got at least one done so that is your template to pencil the waste on all the remaining pieces. Line up the saw guide and then saw away. Use stops of some sort so that the start and stop is predetermined and use some sort of right angle 'fence' or stop under the guide so that the top saw stops are always in the correct position.

You don't happen to already have a Festool saw and guide or the EZ system? You could quickly make a shop made guide too.

ryan smythe
05-05-2007, 12:56 PM
i have a festool ts 75 so i will be using that.

pat warner
05-05-2007, 2:08 PM
Better, faster, less risk? Then 2 edge guides. (http://patwarner.com/images/edgeguide5.jpg)

ryan smythe
05-05-2007, 2:09 PM
What bit would you use with that pat?