Howard Rosenberg
01-01-2004, 11:47 PM
Hi all -

Yup.

Went & did it.
Made a New Year's resolution.
Stopped smoking.

owwwwww....

I've smoked about 25 years - always heavily. Anywhere between 1 pack to 4 packs a day. Unfiltered Camels for the first 13 years. Yummm.... what a cigarette.

I've quit quite a few times - anywhere between twenty minutes and three years.

This time I pray I'm truly worthy of the love and support of my family.

I know I've let them down MANY MANY times as they've watched me crawl back to smoking.

This attempt is cold turkey. My mood swings aren't as abrupt or extreme compared to when I've relied on medication, believe it or not.

My brain and soul hurts (not to mention my heart feeling like someone's been clenching it & unclenching it all day).

Wish me good luck, fellow Creekers.

Thank you.
Howard

John Miliunas
01-02-2004, 12:07 AM
My very best goes out to you, Howard! Quite the resolution and brave, to boot! I came close to quitting myself almost a couple years ago, but just didn't quite follow through. BUT, guys like you give me hope! I had resolved to give it a shot again this year. (Not a New Year resolution, per se, but just something I'd like to do.) Besides the obvious health and family advantages, just think of all the tools you'll be able to buy instead of the cigarettes! Good luck and keep continually posting progress. It helps re-affirm your commitment! :cool:

Rob Littleton
01-02-2004, 12:16 AM
On April 21st 2003, after many years of drinking, I cold turkey gave up.

I had been drinking since I was 14, being raised in England, aint a lot else to do but pubs.....anyways, after a few weeks, the desire left me but the temptation never does.

This new years eve was the first new years eve I can remember in a long time. In fact, while watching people drink themselves into a binge, I just sat back and thought Man, that was me once. Not to be judgemental, just looking in from the outside.

My counsellor told me, dont do things you did when you drank and change your lifestyle...wel, I drank when I worked in the garage. I aint changing that environment, just changed the habits.

Support from friemds at church and the my wife and children got to me to where I am today. Aint easy but worth every day I am sober.....

God bless you and stick with it, it really IS worth kicking an addiction

Howard Rosenberg
01-02-2004, 12:19 AM
You bet I'll keep you posted! Howard

Dave Smith
01-02-2004, 1:06 AM
Like I told a college professor, "I can't understand how a man of your intelligence can light a trash burn so close to your face." It would be better to try quitting than to rationalize not quitting because you are sure you will fail. A dust collector in your shop is not as important as stopping the direct injection of particles into your lungs.

Dave Smith

It is a wonder I have any friends in Longview, WA.

aurelio alarcon
01-02-2004, 3:46 AM
I too plan to quit this year. Not as a resolution--just to quit! I wish you the best in this difficult task!

Todd Burch
01-02-2004, 7:14 AM
You can do it Howard!

Ace Karner
01-02-2004, 7:54 AM
I was what you'd call a chain smoker for 30 years, I quit cold Turkey on Jan 3, 1990, and haven't smoked since.

I won't kid ya, it was not easy, and I was pretty hard to get along with for a while but I'm convinced it was the singularly most important health decisions I've ever made.

Stay with it, and when it gets the worse just keep telling yourself that you are stronger than Joe Camel.

Good Luck

Ace

Glenn Clabo
01-02-2004, 8:01 AM
Howard,
The best thing about this forum is that it's available 24/7. If you feel the need to scream...whine...kick someone. Have at it. We're all here for ya. You can do it!

Bob Marino
01-02-2004, 8:18 AM
Howard, that's the best resolution a smoker can make...to stop smoking. Never a smoker myself, I do understand that it must be a tough habit to break. Your lungs/heart/body will thank you, not to mention your family.
And as was previously mentioned, just think of all the toys,...er, tools that you will be able to buy with that saved money.

All the best and stick with it.

Bob

Frank Guerin
01-02-2004, 8:58 AM
Hang in there Howard. I right here with you. Haven't smoked in the new year. Yesterday was the first morn I haven't lit up in 40+ years. Take it one hour at a time. We can do this. Now lets kick some butt. ( ya know what I mean ).

Jim Becker
01-02-2004, 9:40 AM
BRAVO!

Like Bob, I've never smoked and with a wife that does cancer research, I'm pretty sensitive to ths issue. I applaud your decision...it's good for you and the people around you. And like John said...the tool budget could benefit!

Ron McNeil
01-02-2004, 9:41 AM
Howard, My hats off to you for making the effort to quit smoking. I know just how hard trying to quit can be. Like you I smoked for 30 years 1 to 3 packs a day. I too attempted to stop many times sometimes for one day to as long as 2 1/2 years, however, I always started back. 14 years ago I did quit for good. It's one of the best things I ever did. I could not do it cold turkey. I used the patch. It worked for me because it gave me enough nicotine to not get the withdrawls and cravings that made me start back. You can do it, but you have to really want to and you need strong support from family and friends. As time goes on you will feel better, breathe better and your food will taste oh so much better. Hang in there Howard you can do this. It will give you many more years of woodworking I'm sure.

Mark Valsi
01-02-2004, 10:04 AM
Not to be too morbid, but just think of all the smokers who are now ex smokers because they died of lung cancer !

Bobby Hatfield
01-02-2004, 10:31 AM
Good on all you guys trying to chuck the nicotine curse, BEEN THERE DONE THAT, boy its tough, but you can do it. Started smoking young in the late 1940's and when the first grandchild come along it donned on me that I wouldn't live to see it graduate if I kept it up. Been free for 15 years and still have that craving at times.
YOU CAN DO IT, email if you feel your going to give in to it. Bobby

Tom Sweeney
01-02-2004, 11:08 AM
Congatulations on taking the first step.

I started in 8th grade smoked 3 packs aday through most of my teen years. When I was 19 I quit cold turkey - driving down the road in my 68 mustang I rolled down the window threw away my pack of marlboros & never looked back. I had a few tough times but I did it. Been 24 years without a smoke & I don't miss it a bit.

My mom smoked her whole life - right up till cancer consumed her whole body when she was 53 - my dad has smoked his whole life - still does.
His first quadruple bypass was at my age & when he hit 60 and went in for his 2nd one the doc told him if he didn't quit smoking he (doc) wouldn't waste his valuable time on him. Unfortunately about a year later he started up again.

Just keep in mind the people that are important in your life & what it will be like for them if you aren't around - all because of a rolled up piece of paper with a plant stuffed in it.
With your family & God's help you can beat this thing.

Sorry about the soapbox - but it took a long time for me to get over my mom's death & I don't want to see anyone else have to go through that.

You can do it! Every day will get a little easier till you get to the point that you don't even think about it anymore.

Kevin Gerstenecker
01-02-2004, 11:23 AM
You CAN do it Howard. I quit the Cig's about 12 years ago. I never smoked more than a Pack a day when I did smoke, and I found that is was mostly a mental thing in trying to quit. Sure, there is the dependancy on the Nicotine that everyone gets........but if you get an attitude against the Cigarettes, and REALLY, REALLY want to quit, it makes it much easier. You will be a Pain to live with for a while, but every minute of everyday you are smoke free you are that much closer to obtaining your Goal. Keep your mind and hands occupied, and you will soon not even think of having a smoke. Good luck my friend, you CAN do this, and I applaud you for your effort! ;)

Mark Singer
01-02-2004, 11:59 AM
Howard,
Keep it up! I went to a funeral a couple of months ago. He was a fellow woodwoker, now retired and 58 years old. He had not smoked four the last 10 years... but smoked heavily for the previous 35!
Hang in there!
Mark

Ed Falis
01-02-2004, 12:14 PM
Yep,

Good luck, Howard, Aurelio and Frank (hope I didn't miss anyone).

I started smoking 37 years ago, quit 4-5 times for two years apiece. Last quit was Oct '02 when the universe gave me an unrelated shot across the bow. So far, so good, no butts.

Like someone said, the pain goes eventually, but the urge is always there - be watchful.

- Ed

Roger Fitzsimonds
01-02-2004, 1:12 PM
Good for you Howard,

I quit after 30 some years when I relised I was causing asmtha reactions to my baby daughter. Havent had a smoke for 8 years now. tell your self youare a non smokerbecause you are. stay the path it can be difficult but we are here to support you. If you need help holler.

Best of Luck
Roger

Carl Eyman
01-02-2004, 1:18 PM
Put it right out there where aeveryone can see it. Give us a daily report! HEY we'll only monitor you a day at a time. Post once a day telling us another day is over. If the unthinkable happens and you backslide, tell us that too. We'll get behind you and get you back on the straight and narrow again. GO FOR IT. You've only got about another 12 hoirs to make it two whole days. Pretty soon your food is going to start to taste better. You won't wake up in t6he morning with your mouth tasting like the Iraqi army bivouaced there over night. Hang in there Howard.

Joe Tonich
01-02-2004, 2:12 PM
You CAN do it!! I quit a 5pk a day habit 7yrs ago on my oldest sons birthday (My present to him :) ) cold turkey. I still miss my smoke after a nice meal & with my morning coffee but feel a LOT better. I'm praying for you.

Joe

Von Bickley
01-02-2004, 10:32 PM
Howard,
November 23, 1996, had a heart attack and quit smoking that day. Cold turkey is the only way to go. Get yourself a small wooden dowel the size of a cigarette to carry around. Find something that works for you, tooth picks, gum, lolipops, etc.
Quitting smoking was the hardest thing I ever did, but well worth it. Just hang in there.

It will get better..... It takes time but you can do it. Been there, done that.

Hang tough Howard.