PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Galoots

Ryan Cathey
05-04-2007, 5:56 PM
This is from the Woodnet forum and I asked the OP if I could post it here. Just PM me and I'll send you his email address so you can contact him. The shop was in the Pittsburgh area.

"My wife's grandfather recently passed away. He was an avid woodworker, mostly turning and a little jewerly box-type stuff on the side. He also enjoyed building grandfather/grandmother clock kits for his family members.

A few years ago, before I was at all interested in woodworking, he became unable to use his woodworking tools any more. I was offered the chance to go through his tools and grab whatever I wanted. Not caring much about planes, chisels, etc. I passed them up and took some squares, a yankee screwdriver, some tin snips, some files, and a few other things. I left behind an entire garage wall of turning tools, a lathe, bandsaw, and so on, thinking I'd probably never need them and they might as well go to someone who would appreciate them.

The reason I tell this story is that I have since become interested in woodworking, mostly with handtools so far. When I close my eyes, I can see in my head a box full of various sizes of planes. Before I knew much about planes I remember thinking that I had no idea there were so many different kinds.

What I'm hoping, and I know this is an almost impossible longshot, is to know if anyone reading here would happen to know the person/persons who eventually purchased the tools from my grand-in-laws and would be willing to sell me back a plane or two from that box. I'll repeat - I know this is a major longshot, and that for someone who is a regular buyer of things, you probably don't label the source of every tool you've bought. But stranger things have happened.

The location of the workshop was in the garage in a retirement community in Upper Saint Clair. I figure that will be enough information for the buyer to recognize it if he or she is out there.

Regardless of this search, I am glad that I was able to have a few things on hand that belonged to him, and a recent visit uncovered a few things that were missed - a set of Millers Falls carving tools and a nice set of oilstones. I didn't hesitate to grab those this time.

Please PM me if you have any information about the planes, or to let me know it was you - I'd like to at least hear how the tools are being used today. Thanks."

Ron Brese
05-04-2007, 6:34 PM
This was a very considerate post Ryan.

Ron Brese

Ryan Cathey
05-05-2007, 11:53 AM
Thanks Ron, it's just my small town attitude;) (inside joke lol)

Frank Guerin
05-05-2007, 7:56 PM
I wish you the best my friend. Often in life we find that what matters least later matters most. Treasure what you do have. Memories more than all others.

Ryan Cathey
05-05-2007, 8:44 PM
Thanks Frank.

Ron Brese
05-05-2007, 10:20 PM
As you know Ryan, there's a lot to be said for living in a small town. Tell me Ryan, what is a young industrious young man like yourself doing during this summer break.

Ron Brese

Ryan Cathey
05-05-2007, 10:22 PM
Not much it seems...I may be getting a job as a "handyman" for an older (read "old-as-the-hills") lady from my church or in town somewhere. But basically that's just to get money to buy more tools! Why, you looking for an assistant?:D

Ron Brese
05-05-2007, 10:58 PM
You mean you'd like a job like that, huh? I think the commute from Kentucky to Ga. would be killer.

Ron Brese

Ryan Cathey
05-05-2007, 11:00 PM
Yeah probably...oh well, you could've had someone to help you and at the cost of only a couple planes!