PDA

View Full Version : Rikon Mini Owners?

Dale Bright
05-04-2007, 3:25 PM
I am trying to find additional tool rests for my Rikon mini. The 5/8" post on this lathe needs to be a bit taller than other mini's because of the 12" swing. Has anyone found a source for a longer 5/8" post?

I am in the market for a modular system, like the Sorby, but their 5/8" post is only 3.5" long. The overall height of the Rikon rest is 4.75".

Thanks,

Dale

Jason Slutsky
05-04-2007, 3:54 PM
Dale,

I own a Rikon and I asked a friend of mine who is a welder to make me a tool rest out of some 5/8 bar stock. If you can find a local welder, I bet you could save a ton of money and get yourself something nearly as good.

Jason

Bernie Weishapl
05-04-2007, 8:17 PM
Dale I had these 3 and one other made for $35 at my local welder friend. I haven't used the Rikon one since I got these made.

Kurt Whitley
05-04-2007, 9:21 PM
I got one from Best Wood Tools about a year ago. They still don't list it in their catalog, but when I told Vic I needed a post for the Rikon, he took care of it without any further questions.

Woodcraft sells a 4" and the stock (8"?) rest for ~$17.
I bought another 8" and used a side grinder to cut it down (I prefer my rests to extend farther to the left of the post so this gave me the freedom to customize it). Of course, you'll need to deburr the edges if you go this route.

Note - The 8" rest offers more reinforcement so is probably a better option even if you plan to trim it to 4" (unless the reinforcement gets in your way). However, compared to standard mini toolrests, both of the Rikon rests are much beefier. I prefer the forward angled flat toolrest to the rod style - my Best Wood Tools post is a curved rod as I could not find a good, flat bowl rest.