PDA

View Full Version : Baltic birch and apply ply

Rob Blaustein
05-04-2007, 1:10 PM
I was looking at the baltic birch ply and apply ply at Boulter Plywood's website (http://www.boulterplywood.com/)and was wondering why the apple ply is so much heavier (and pricier). If you click on products on the top, and then multi-layer plywood on the left column you'll get to that page (I couldn't seem to link to it here). They list baltic birch as having 13 plys for 3/4" and a 4x8 sheet is $109 and weighs 75 lbs. The Apple ply is $120 for a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" and weights 95 lbs. I was thinking of using one of these for some drawers and was wondering what the difference was.
-Rob

Rod Sheridan
05-04-2007, 1:18 PM
Hi, I often use Baltic Birch plywood for projects, in fact I'm just completing a shop base cabinet with drawers made from this material.

The BB ply has a face veneer of 1.4mm, versus .64mm for the apple ply, something that makes sanding a whole lot less stressful.

In addition the number of layers is higher in the BB plywood.

I also noticed that your price seems high to me, as I only pay $41 Canadian a sheet for 19mm BB plywood.

regards, Rod.

Lars A Stole
05-04-2007, 1:35 PM
I wouldn't put much stock in their weight numbers. If you are to believe their website, a 4x8 sheet weighs 75lbs and a 5x5 sheet weighs 64lbs. This is pretty inconsisent with the ratio of 32 square feet to 25 square feet.

Tim Dorcas
05-04-2007, 5:26 PM
I have been looking for 1/2" Baltic Birch Ply for a month now (in Calgary). If anyone sees a supply, please post. Thanks!

Rob Blaustein
05-04-2007, 5:59 PM
Hi, I often use Baltic Birch plywood for projects, in fact I'm just completing a shop base cabinet with drawers made from this material.

The BB ply has a face veneer of 1.4mm, versus .64mm for the apple ply, something that makes sanding a whole lot less stressful.

In addition the number of layers is higher in the BB plywood.

I also noticed that your price seems high to me, as I only pay $41 Canadian a sheet for 19mm BB plywood.

regards, Rod.

So you'd think the baltic would be more expensive, but it's less. Curious.

Rick Christopherson
05-04-2007, 6:01 PM
A lot of woodworkers assume these two products are the same except for the size of the sheets, but this is not correct. The Appleply is a higher grade of plywood with an alder core and maple face. The maple face provides a smoother surface veneer and the alder core machines a little better.

Blake Holton
05-04-2007, 6:14 PM
Rob:

Here is a link to some more information on ApplePly.

http://www.statesind.com/pdf/ApplePly.pdf

Blake

Eddie Darby
05-05-2007, 7:26 AM
I have been looking for 1/2" Baltic Birch Ply for a month now (in Calgary). If anyone sees a supply, please post. Thanks!

Home Depot has small 2' x 4' sheets around $20 Cdn.

Phil Clark
05-05-2007, 8:02 AM

P J White Hardwoods has a branch in Calgary - I get all my BB from them in Vancouver