PDA

View Full Version : Pen kit prices

Ellen Benkin
05-04-2007, 1:04 PM
Woodcraft is having a sale on pen kits this month. For example, slimline kits start at $2.45 (regular price $3.50). Woodturningz.com sells slimline kits for $2.00 each. Is there something I'm missing? Why the big price differential? Is the quality that different?

Stan Cook
05-04-2007, 1:22 PM
Most of Woodcraft's are made by Berea while Woodturningz resells Penn State kits. But that is not the reason for the price difference (you can get berea kits much cheaper elsewhere). Woodcraft is extremely overpriced on most everything they sell.

A difference in quality worth investing in is titanium gold over 24k and 10 kits.

Doug M Jones
05-04-2007, 1:28 PM
Steebar (penmakingsupplies.com) has some slimeline kits as low as $1.55 for a single pen. I have some ordered but haven't gotten them yet. The other kits I got from them were Penn State Kits. Decent prices but it seems to take a couple extra days to get a shipment from them compared to others that I have tried.

Bernie Weishapl
05-04-2007, 2:05 PM
I have used a lot of woodturningz kits and they are as good as Woodcrafts plus a lot cheaper.

Ron Raymond
05-04-2007, 9:38 PM
I wonder if different Woodcraft stores carry different products...my local WC seems to carry mostly PSI kits. I've ordered once from woodturningz.com and was very pleased. I've also ordered from arizonasilhouette.com, also with very good results.

I bought my last group of kits from woodnwhimsies.com. I emailed them with a question about a kit I had problems with (purchased from another supplier), before I ever ordered from them. I received a personal response with some much-needed and appreciated advice. I then placed an order on a Thursday and had the goods in my hand Monday. Check out their prices, combine with great customer service, and you'll see why I'm a big fan.

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
05-04-2007, 9:50 PM
Ditto on Woodturningz, highly recommended!:D