PDA

View Full Version : Domino - PLEASE STAY ON TOPIC

Rob Bodenschatz
05-04-2007, 10:59 AM
These Domino threads seem to always go south. I'm going to ask some pretty specific questions so please stay on topic. This is not a loaded question and I have no agenda here. Just looking for information. I don't want this to turn ugly.

I am thinking about selling my Kreg pocket hole jig and PC biscuit joiner to help finance a Domino. I know selling them won't come close to providing the funds to buy it but it would soften the blow a little. My question is:

Would there be any reason why I would regret getting rid of either of these two tools? In other words, is there any functionality that the biscuit joiner or pocket hole jig provides that the Domino would not?

Just to qualify a little bit, my upcoming projects include a lot of built-in cabinetry using both hardwood and sheet goods. Tables and bookshelves also. I also have a lot of shop projects on my plate.

Do not factor cost into this discussion. Let's keep it to functionality only.

Rob Wright
05-04-2007, 11:06 AM
Rob,

I am looking at the same thing you are. I do not think that I would part with my Kreg. It is just too easy, fast, and simple to use for some things. I love the fact that I can quickly assemble case work without clamps when using the glue and pocket hole. I think that even with the Domino - clamps are still going to be required for assembly.

I could easily loose my PC biscuit joiner and do most everything with the Domino from what I have seen. Also, I don't know how I could do simple craftsman furniture with the PC - it can't make mortises!

My $.02 for nuthin' - as always. - Rob W

Andrew Williams
05-04-2007, 11:19 AM
I think a biscuit joiner is the only way to spline the attachment of front feet on a case that has full-length sides. You need to slide the splines in on two perpendicular planes. Not possible to do that with loose tenons or a dowel.

Also, I dont know if it is possible to spline an edge miter with a domino either, but an FF size biscuit will do it.

Third, a biscuit joiner is also good at cutting slots for attaching tabletop buttons.

Cannot say about the pocket hole jig since I have never used one.

Tim Sproul
05-04-2007, 11:24 AM
I'd keep the pocket hole jig and sell the biscuit joiner....which is what I've done.

Sometimes you want a decent butt joint that you don't have to wait for. Nice to be able to knock-out jigs and quick items that don't require hour(s) of clamp and dry time before they can be used.

Ted Miller
05-04-2007, 11:25 AM
Rob, I have had the Domino for a few weeks and its doing most of my cabinet work. Carcass, drawers, shelving and furniture. On frame and carcass work I use the Kreg along with the Dominos and no clamps are needed when gluing, using the Dominos for alignment is great, everything stays very square.

Everytime I use the Domino I find new ways to use it, trough tenons look great on some drawers I have done.

As I have said in the past, I own many Festool items and they only enhance the other tools in my shop but they do not replace any tools. Yes I still have my biscuit jointer, in fact two of them. But I am not getting rid of them. I have both TS55/75 and I will still keep my other CS and my TS, RAS, SCMS. I have a few sanders as well FEQ and the Linear EQ but I still use my Dewalt palm sander as well as my Bosch corner sander. The most major thing about Festool is the DC at a home I am doing work at, its nice when you are done in a kitchen or closet that there is almost no mess to clean up. Some clients almost care more about you being clean then just how your work is.

I use these new tools depending on the job I am doing and I have to admit that the Domino has made a huge change in the way I assemble cabinets and frames. Not just the quickness but how exact things are coming out, now I have to admit I had to make adjustments and fine tune this tool with some trial and error. But thats with most tools.

I am tired of the argueing over these new tools as well. I used a few Festool items on a job site a while back and I was sold only using them for two days. I purchase tools that I need for that job or to make my work better no matter what brand it is...

James Carmichael
05-04-2007, 12:06 PM
I don't own a domino and don't anticipate owning one any time soon, but it seems to me that you may want to hold onto the kreg and/or biscuit joiner for joining man-made materials and use the domino for solid wood applications, or at least plywood.

Randal Stevenson
05-04-2007, 12:06 PM
My father uses the Kreg all the time for jigs and such, it pays for itself. However, I have never seen one sell used. You might find it's not worth the hassle of posting it. The other does better used.

Rob Blaustein
05-04-2007, 12:52 PM
I will probably get rid of my seldom used biscuit joiner--but then again I find selling items takes time and energy so who knows. My guess is that apart from some rare things, the Domino will do for me what the biscuit joiner would (when I figure out how to use it...) But I think I'll keep the Kreg. After using it on a bunch of projects I've finally gotten to the point where I feel I've worked out some kinks and I can now join things up pretty quickly and accurately. And with pocket holes you don't need to tie up clamps.

I was also curious about how Domino owners would do things differently--and was particularly interested in the tools you mentioned. I posted this question in the Festool Users Group but no one seemed interested in responding. I hope you get some good responses from the seasoned ww'ers like Per and others who have used these other tools a lot and who now have a Domino.

Rob

Jim Becker
05-04-2007, 12:57 PM
Letting the biscuit jointer go would make sense to me. But not the pocket screw jig...way too useful and in places, less work and still good benefit.

Aaron Beaver
05-04-2007, 1:06 PM
I would keep the Kreg and loose the biscuit.

Paul Johnstone
05-04-2007, 1:14 PM
I wouldn't give up the Kreg jig.

I use it a lot in places where pocket holes won't show.. For example, in a project like this:

http://woodstore.net/coence1.html

I would use pocket screws to attach the curved bottom piece to the base of the plywood box. No one is going to stick their head under the piece and see it.

Rick Lizek
05-04-2007, 1:18 PM
What is your primary use, in shop or field work? For in shop I'd go with
a stationary slot mortiser. Tight on space? Then I'd consider a Domino. With my slot mortiser I have the option of bigger tenons or I can buy the Domino tenons. I can also do dowel and horizontal boring.

There's still times the no clamp time pocket screws are handy. I still use the biscuits for putting certain things together. Wouldn't get enough to justify selling my biscuit jointer so I'd just as soon keep it if it was me.

Steve Roxberg
05-04-2007, 1:59 PM
Letting the biscuit jointer go would make sense to me. But not the pocket screw jig...way too useful and in places, less work and still good benefit.

Jim and I agree,

Sell the biscuit jointer and keep the Kreg.

I have already done one project where I used Domino's for strength and alignment and Pocket screws to hold it together while the glue dried.

Rob Bodenschatz
05-04-2007, 2:39 PM
I've read some good reasons to keep the pocket hole jig. The biggest is the "no clamps or waiting for the glue to dry" function of it. I do agree with that and for that reason, I am leaning toward keeping it.

The biscuit joiner? Haven't read a good enough reason to keep it.

John Stevens
05-04-2007, 2:43 PM
...and now for something completely different. I always hated the inevitable shifting of the pieces when I joined things with my Kreg pocket screw kit. When I ordered the Domino, I posted the Kreg jig for sale, and it sold for about 2/3 of its original price in fifteen minutes--no exaggeration.

Now I have the Domino, but I also own a Lamello biscuit joiner that has worked flawlessly since the day I bought it and greatly increased my productivity. I think far too many woodworkers underestimate the strength of accurate biscuit joinery, and don't understand how to adapt furniture design to compensate for its (overestimated) weaknesses. As a consequence, too many woodworkers don't realize the full value of an accurate biscuit joiner.

There are some situations in which a biscuit joiner will be faster than the Domino, and some in which a biscuit joint will be stronger than a joint made with Dominos. I'm glad to have the Domino, but I think that some owners have posted comments on the internet that overstate the advantages of the Domino in comparison to a good-quality biscuit joiner in terms of speed, joint strength and joint alignment. Besides, the Domino can't install hinges or knock-down hardware...yet.

Bottom line--I'm glad to have a Domino and a Lamello. If your PC biscuit joiner is accurate, you might miss it.

Steve Rowe
05-04-2007, 3:12 PM
I dumped my PC Pocket Cutter long before I ever heard of the Domino. I absolutely loathed that machine but, have never used the Kreg which appears much simpler and faster. I never had any issues with the speed or strength of pocket screw joinery but, I just never cared for the appearance of pocket holes. Yeah, I know they are hidden but I still know they are there. I would probably keep the Kreg until I figured out whether I still used it or not after Domino.

The biscuit joiner is a different story. I often use Knapp knockdown fasteners and they hammer right into a #20 biscuit slot. It makes a fast and strong KD joint with no glue. I am not parting with the biscuit joiner for that reason. With respect to the biscuits, I now see very little use for them. If I only used the glue in biscuits and had the Domino, I would dump the biscuit joiner.

Just my 0.04 (had to increase the amount due to the value of the Dollar against the Euro):(
Steve

jud dinsmore
05-04-2007, 6:02 PM
whether or not to keep the biscuit jointer really depends on what you. right now, mine sees most action at the job site keeping my miters together. while i don't know much about the cost of domino tenons, i would guess that biscuits would be more cost effective (if this is a real concern). for me it is as is speed (haven't seen the domino in action but cutting a slot with the biscuit jointer takes only a second).

as for the kreg, keep it. i recently bought a kreg foreman (ho, hum $800) for a big trim job where i had a lot of butt joints in the casing. awesome. i drilled approximately 400 holes in about 40 minutes. everything zips together quickly and is instantly ready for installation. no glue, no clamps, no problem. i have (and still have some to go) some built-ins for this same job. base cabinets are 56" wide. flip the back panel over and cut pockets. i don't need to measure and once i'm done, everything can be assembled and installed immediately. 60" clamps would be tough to tote around the job. all have specific tasks that they are better suited for. just depends on what you primarily do.

jud

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-04-2007, 6:42 PM
I am thinking about selling my Kreg pocket hole jig and PC biscuit joiner to help finance a Domino.

I see no reason you'd want a biscuit or a pocket hole thing if you were running the Domino. It's more versatile and the joints are very strong. I would prefer a slot mortiser to a domino because if nothing else I like the ability of sizing all my own tenons. However were I certain I'd be doing lots and lots of domino sized tenons I'd take under consideration the possibility of getting one somewhat seriously. I mean what's a lousy $-Grand anyway?

David Dundas
05-04-2007, 9:16 PM
I own both a Domino and a PC biscuit joiner. I have not sold the biscuit joiner since there are still one or two tasks for which I find it preferable to a Domino. The main one is cutting slots for reinforcing biscuits when mitering two panels together, as in a cabinet like this chest of drawers (the dovetail keys are a decorative afterthought). My hunch is that it would be very much harder to align the mortises for reinforcing dominoes with the requisite accuracy to ensure that they were exactly perpendicular to the miter face than it is to cut biscuit slots, especially since the bisuit joiner's fence, unlike the Domino's, can be angled to 135°.

The biscuit joiner is also marginally preferable for milling slots for table-top clips in table aprons.

David

Per Swenson
05-04-2007, 9:40 PM
I have two, three, some cases four of everything.

I wouldn't sell one. The best I do is gift it to my son.

He does have to keep it around in case of emergency.

Every time I get that crazy thought, you know I don't need this,

cause I have this and I could really use some cookie money....

not 12 hours later i need that thing I no longer have.

Hah! You might say, I don't do this 7 days a week, etc.

Makes no matter. You are eventually gonna miss it.

10 hours, 10 months, whats the difference?

I also look at it this way, this thing has the potential to make me something,

whether its money or art, it's paid for, gives and gave me good service

so why should I devalue it now?

Nope, Like Daffy Duck, I am keeping it all.

Per

Bruce Benjamin
05-04-2007, 10:10 PM
I don't have the Domino, nor do I plan to buy one. Too rich for my blood. But the quote below makes it sound like the Domino will do everything that either the biscuit or pocket hole will do. From what I've seen on their website it won't. I've reinforced very narrow miters with the small PC biscuits and I don't think the Domino will match that. Anything bigger wouldn't fit. There are other examples but that's the one I need and use a lot. The Domino still requires you to wait for the glue to dry. A pocket hole doesn't. The pocket holes have been shown to be very strong too. There are plenty of applications where the Domino is clearly superior but certainly not every application. If someone gave me a Domino I'd be happy and probably use it a lot but I'm certain I would still have uses for a biscuit and a pocket hole.

Bruce

I see no reason you'd want a biscuit or a pocket hole thing if you were running the Domino. It's more versatile and the joints are very strong. I would prefer a slot mortiser to a domino because if nothing else I like the ability of sizing all my own tenons. However were I certain I'd be doing lots and lots of domino sized tenons I'd take under consideration the possibility of getting one somewhat seriously. I mean what's a lousy $-Grand anyway?

Don Bullock
05-04-2007, 10:12 PM
Rob, I have found this thread, questions and answers, were helpful and refreshing. While I'm not in a position to answer your question, I've benefitted greatly from the answers others gave.

John Stevens
05-04-2007, 10:38 PM
I've reinforced very narrow miters with the small PC biscuits and I don't think the Domino will match that.

A domino tenon will align a miter along the width, not just in the thickness dimension. And for really narrow miters, the smallest Domino biscuit is 5mm thick (less than 1/4"), only 19mm wide (about 3.4") and 30mm long (about 1 5/32")--narrower than a FF or R3 biscuit, but deeper.

I'm more likely to reach for the Lamello for drawers made of 12mm birch ply, because I'll want a tenon that's shallow but wide, the swelling of the biscuit will make a somewhat stronger glue joint, and alignment along the width is as easy as tapping the box against a flat surface.

Regards,

John

Greg Millen
05-04-2007, 11:21 PM
These Domino threads seem to always go south. ...
I am thinking about selling my Kreg pocket hole jig and PC biscuit joiner to help finance a Domino. I know selling them won't come close to providing the funds to buy it but it would soften the blow a little. My question is:

Would there be any reason why I would regret getting rid of either of these two tools? In other words, is there any functionality that the biscuit joiner or pocket hole jig provides that the Domino would not? Leaving cost aside, as requested, I'd keep the Kreg and sell the Biscuit joiner. I can't think of anything the domino won't do that the biscuit joiner can, other than create a long thin slot, which a table saw can do anyway.

It is also much easier to make your own Dominos than it is to make biscuits (not necessarily for cost, but convenience too).

Huang Wan
05-05-2007, 1:32 AM
I too have been trying to decide if I should part with my Lamello to fund a Domino. I think Per has echoed my ultimate decision. When a tool is gone you need it. I think there are times when a lower cost biscut is more than adequate for a joint. I'll be keeping the Kreg, the Lamello, and adding a Domino.

Ric

Darl Bundren
05-06-2007, 11:23 AM
I recently purchased the domino, CT22 dust extractor, and the systainer full of dominos and the extra bits. I am immensely pleased with my purchase--despite the cost (so long tax refund:(), it is probably already my favorite tool.

That having been said, I also have the Kreg 2000 kit and the PC biscuit joiner, and while selling either to defray the cost of the domino seems feasible, I will not. Here's why:

The Kreg jig works well for assembly without clamps, and for many projects, it doesn't matter if you see the pocket holes or not. If I am working on furniture the Domino makes sense (both in terms of accuracy and invisibility), but if I am assembling a stand for my cyclone out of 2x4s, pocket screws and glue get the nod. I don't want to clamp and wait, I want to get that thing finished so I can do other, cooler projects once the utilitarian stuff is out of the way.

The PC biscuit joiner is sufficient for panel glue-ups. At this point in my woodworking, the biscuits help me with alignment, and I don't think that I need the added strength of the domino tenons will add anything. For this application, both are pretty much equally fast (the domino a bit faster as I don't have to make pencil marks if I don't want to).

I don't want to take a loss on either tool. The Kreg and PC are both in great condition, and I'd rather keep them than sell them for below what I paid. I'm not sure what I could sell them for, but I'll bet it's not equal to what they are worth to me.

I also have what some call Hoarder's Disorder--once I have it, rarely will I get rid of it without soul-searching, kicking, and eventually screaming.

If you get the domino, I'll bet you'll like it. If you don't, you can still do great things without it, right? I hope you make the best decision for you.

Dan Clark
05-06-2007, 1:53 PM
I think that you should NOT sell your other gear (like biscuit joiners and pocket hole jigs) if you buy a Domino. Just keep them and wait a while.

Put sticky notes on the old tools with the date that you bought the Domino. Every time you use the old tools, update the date to the current date. After a year has passed from the time you bought the Domino, look the old tools sticky notes. If you haven't touched them in a year, you'll probably never touch them again. Unused tools are a waste; sell them.

Regards,

Dan.

If you're really conservative, make it two years.

Dan Forman
05-06-2007, 3:35 PM
The PC biscuit joiner is sufficient for panel glue-ups. At this point in my woodworking, the biscuits help me with alignment, and I don't think that I need the added strength of the domino tenons will add anything. For this application, both are pretty much equally fast (the domino a bit faster as I don't have to make pencil marks if I don't want to).

Not taking sides here re: selling the biscuit joiner, but from what I've read, the Domino is actually better as an alignment aid, as the tenons have less slop than a biscuit.

Dan

Darl Bundren
05-06-2007, 3:41 PM
Not taking sides here re: selling the biscuit joiner, but from what I've read, the Domino is actually better as an alignment aid, as the tenons have less slop than a biscuit.

Dan

I am certain that it is. However, with my "masterful skills," sometimes a little slop is what I need:o Plus, if I can shift things around by a bit on the panels, I can align grain a little more to my liking. I could do that beforehand, I guess, but rarely do I think things like that out:(

Brian Jarnell
09-28-2011, 6:29 PM
I made this bedside cab out of veneer MDF and clashed it using the biscuit joiner to allign.208729208730

Chris Fournier
09-28-2011, 7:25 PM
I've stated this in other threads: a biscuit joiner is only as good as the person using it. Tune up your joiner fence alignment and get your biscuits to the right dimension by hydrating or dehydrating them to snuggly fit the kerf and the down trodden, has been biscuit joiner will align assemblies with the best of them - Gasp, even the $$$$ rich Domino.

Jason White
09-28-2011, 9:58 PM
I have both the Domino and the Kreg jig. Wouldn't be without either of them!

Jason

Stephen Cherry
09-28-2011, 10:01 PM
Pocket holes are a great way to attatch table tops. Normal hole in the center, closely spaced holes to form a "pocket slot" for expansion. It allows some real down force on the top, which in my opinion keeps the top flat.

I've also got a bisquiter, although I have forgoten where I put it.

Ted Baca
09-28-2011, 10:33 PM
Just to chime in here. I would keep the Kreg as well. I think the holding strength is greater than a Domino or Biscuit can offer. My point is I think you can pull apart either of the glued Domino or Biscuit but not the screw in a pocket. Personallay I have wanted to buy the Domino as well but the cost has been that factor there. But if I do I still wouldn't want to part with the biscuit jointer. I think all three have certain benifits that each doesn't. The biscuit does offer some side to side fogiveness if alignment isn't exact. My advice is be patient till you can buy the Domino, and in time if you find you never use the biscuit jointer, then sell.

Mats Bengtsson
09-29-2011, 1:10 AM
Just to chime in here. I would keep the Kreg as well. I think the holding strength is greater than a Domino or Biscuit can offer. My point is I think you can pull apart either of the glued Domino or Biscuit but not the screw in a pocket. Personallay I have wanted to buy the Domino as well but the cost has been that factor there. But if I do I still wouldn't want to part with the biscuit jointer. I think all three have certain benifits that each doesn't. The biscuit does offer some side to side fogiveness if alignment isn't exact. My advice is be patient till you can buy the Domino, and in time if you find you never use the biscuit jointer, then sell.

THey are all three different, just like so many other tools. If you can accept the terrible marks made by the Kreg joint, then that is a quick and strong solution. The major advantage of the Domino is that it combines things. It joins, yes, but it also aligns, and yet it can be used as a free hand tool as well. Since I got the Domino, I have not used the bisquit. Bisquits would have their place in thin enough material, but the need seem rare.

--- Mats ---

Michael Simpson Virgina
09-29-2011, 1:38 AM
This was one of my first Domino jobs. Try doing this with a pocket jig or a biscuit joiner. It is accurage enough that all the legs are interchanable on this piece. If you want slop, like the biscuit to add sliding alingment, there is a knob for that on the Domino.

As I said in the past I may sell every power tool in my shop, but I will keep all my festools and my DIY CNC.

Brian Jarnell
09-29-2011, 5:12 AM
What on earth is it?

Michael Simpson Virgina
09-29-2011, 6:39 AM
It is a PC. Home theater PC. Actualy this one is retired as it has been replaced with another. This one is used as a backup CNC computer in the shop. Thats why its pretty banked up. Shows you how strong dominos are. As thise have not been glued.

Larry Fox
09-29-2011, 8:12 AM
I'd keep the pocket hole jig and sell the biscuit joiner....which is what I've done.

+1 on this. I use both my pocket hole jig and Domino all the time. I hardly ever used the biscuit jointer.

Mike Wilkins
09-29-2011, 9:02 AM
We all can make an argument for keeping all and getting the Domino, which I am considering for myself. Pocket screws are great for face frame and cabinetry, biscuits great for gluing edges, joints, etc. The Domino seems more geared toward furniture in my limited opinion.
Remember: there are lots of priceless antiques out there that did not utilize any of these joinery systems.

Rich Engelhardt
09-29-2011, 10:12 AM
Out of curiosity - I wonder what the OP sold - either or both in the last 4 years since this thread started?

Jim German
09-29-2011, 12:10 PM
This is a 4 year old thread...

Mats Bengtsson
09-29-2011, 1:07 PM
This is a 4 year old thread...

Well, I think the whole forum is older than so. Most subjects as well. But as long as there is new postings on the subject of Domino, I see no reason to search for another thread, nor forum. Except to try to have as little as possible in each thread. :)

--- Mats ---

Alan Wright
10-08-2011, 10:06 PM
i have a Dewalt Buscuit Joiner, a Domino, a Kreg System, and a Jessum Dowling Jig. I use them all!! There are certainly times when the tools are interchangable. However, most of them time one of the 4 different tools just seems like the "Right" tool for the specific application. Unless you are really pressed for space, I'd try to hold onto both the tools you have and look to add a Domino as a complementary option, rather than looking at it as a replacement. Besides, you can never have too many tools!!

Kevin Presutti
10-10-2011, 10:59 PM
I'm with Per on this one........it's paid for, each have their place, and at some point you're going to wish you had it. I'm a tool junkie but hey we all have our shortcomings! I have sent things down the road only to say "Dang, I wish I still had that!" I'm keeping it all as well.

glenn bradley
10-10-2011, 11:37 PM
I used about a dozen biscuits and then sold my PC-557 (which was a wonderful tool) to someone who would use it more. The pocket hole jig I would miss more. A Kreg mini is only $20 complete and can do many jobs where a few pocket holes are required. I use the mini a lot despite having other Kreg equipment so I would not hesitate to sell what you have if you could get a good price. Otherwise, for the cost a half a dozen boxes of dominoes, I'd keep it.

Brian Jarnell
10-11-2011, 12:50 AM
I have had this Elu Biscuit joiner for 20 years, works differently to the normal push ones, I couldn't do without it, the fence that registers the slot is missing of this one.

http://goo.gl/pmWYU

Rob Bodenschatz
12-07-2011, 9:47 PM
Out of curiosity - I wonder what the OP sold - either or both in the last 4 years since this thread started?

OP here. Still have both. Definitely keeping the Kreg. Still not sure about the biscuit. Haven't bought the Domino yet either. Guess you could say I take my time with my decision-making.

Peter Quinn
12-07-2011, 10:02 PM
OP here. Still have both. Definitely keeping the Kreg. Still not sure about the biscuit. Haven't bought the Domino yet either. Guess you could say I take my time with my decision-making.

You ain't kidding Rob! Slow down there mister impetuous! If you are still collecting opinions, I'd keep the pocket hole jig and loose the biscuit jointer. I'd actually probably just keep them all at this point, but the pocket screws can act as a clamp in some pretty off situations, neither the domino nor the biscuits can do that. I the screws more as a clamping mechanism to back up a glue joint than as the actual joint at this point. I built one cabinet recently that had dowels, biscuits, pocket screws, and loose tenons in one unit. Each was put to my concept of its best usage.

Brian Jarnell
12-07-2011, 10:50 PM
Not sure what happened there, but message lost.

Rick Fisher
12-08-2011, 2:39 AM
My biggest use of pocket screws is holding table tops down to aprons, and I would not give that up .. The Domino is a great tool and I suppose will replace many of the tasks Pocket screws are used for, but not all .. certainly not completely..

Shawn Russell
12-08-2011, 3:26 AM
This is just my personal philosophy. I have the domino and the kreg jig. My neighbor has a biscuit joiner. What I have like is a feeling of minimalism. I am moving away from my Kreg jig and will only use the domino. I am still fairly new to woodworking, and once I can do everything with the domino, I see no need to use the kreg: I will sell it or give it away. I no longer borrow the biscuit joiner.

Thus, I would only keep what I will use and if I had more than one item, I would find a way to do the same task with the domino. But again, this is a personal feeling for minimalism. If I am not going to use a tool, or do not want to use it, why keep it. Put it in the hands of someone who can benefit from it.

Doug Morgan
12-08-2011, 8:56 AM
Every time a tool comes out, there is another being engineered that will do the same and better. Kreg pocket has seen Porter Cable come out with a mighter pocket system, Leigh dovetail saw Porter do the same again so my point is this, while these tools serve a purpose when we first get them, there will be others that "improve" on the process.

You have to make your own justification for the tools around your shop. If you don't use something then it just sits around collecting sawdust. What ever someone writes here it will be you in the end that has the decision to make. It almost sounds like you made up your mind but just wants confirmation that it was a good one. Good Luck

Rob Bodenschatz
12-08-2011, 7:32 PM
It almost sounds like you made up your mind but just wants confirmation that it was a good one.

What gives you that impression? I have not yet made up my mind on the biscuit joiner. I was very clear on that in my last post.

Once again, thanks to all that provided USEFUL information.

George Gyulatyan
12-08-2011, 7:45 PM
Just to qualify a little bit, my upcoming projects include a lot of built-in cabinetry using both hardwood and sheet goods. Tables and bookshelves also. I also have a lot of shop projects on my plate.

I've highlighted the part that I think should be the deciding factor. I'd believe that the Pocket-hole jig and the biscuit joiner would be more useful to you in building cabinets, especially if you're doing face-frame cabinets that the Domino... Now, if you were making a lot of furniture with M&T joints, I'd tend to lean towards the Domino.

Brian Jarnell
12-09-2011, 1:56 AM
I always align boards for glue up with a biscuit joiner, quick and easy.

Not keen on screwing table top to apron, tends to restrict and can cause splitting.

I use a z clip that runs in a groove and allows movement.

Steven Lee, NC
12-09-2011, 10:27 AM
I thought the domino would replace the kreg jig but I held off on selling mine just in case and it turns out they both complement each other very well. The domino aligns everything and the kreg clamps everything.

Homer Faucett
12-09-2011, 11:00 AM
For cabinet carcasses, I've found the biscuit joiner is faster to use than the Domino, and I don't really need the added strength, only alignment. Further, if you use a biscuit joiner as a spline on mitered corners (like boxes) using 3/4" material, you will probably find that the Domino plunges too deep and blows out the back of the miter. I still use Kreg screws to hold the carcase together. I bought the old Domino on sale when they were bringing out the new design. I still have all three tools. I could probably get by without the biscuit joiner, but see no reason to sell it, as it does some things faster and better than my Domino.

Brian Jarnell
12-09-2011, 1:49 PM
I would have thought the new Domino was for bigger jobs, therefore requiring both?

Doug Morgan
12-09-2011, 9:00 PM
What gives you that impression? I have not yet made up my mind on the biscuit joiner. I was very clear on that in my last post.

Once again, thanks to all that provided USEFUL information.

Since you cant read I'll help you "ALMOST"

But then again you did say and I quote "I don't want this to turn ugly. "

Charlie Ross
12-14-2011, 1:19 PM
I have a dowel jig that I rarely use anymore, a Kreg pocket hole jig that I like to use on cabinet faces and some other situations, and my PC biscuit jointer that is my go-to for gluing wide boards. Before getting my biscuit jointer I did most wide panels with a dowel jig. So, I was very impressed with the ease and alignment ability of a biscuit jointer. That price is crazy… I don’t think I would buy one for half the price:rolleyes:. Well maybe half price I would, because I'm a hopeless tool junkie.:):D

Van Huskey
12-14-2011, 3:35 PM

You procrastinate more than I do! I am the king of paralysis by analysis!

Brian Jarnell
12-14-2011, 7:33 PM
You procrastinate more than I do! I am the king of paralysis by analysis!

To be fair, you do need to produce something to justify these tools.

Van Huskey
12-14-2011, 7:45 PM
To be fair, you do need to produce something to justify these tools.

I can understand the wisdom in your statement but I have never needed anything more than "man that is cool" to justify a tool, that may not mean I can afford it but it usually means if I can afford it I will... man that is cool... :cool:

Jeff Monson
12-14-2011, 8:36 PM
I have never needed anything more than "man that is cool" to justify a tool, :cool:

I could not have said it any better.

Norman Hitt
12-14-2011, 10:03 PM
I have to agree 100% with Per. Many, many years ago I did get rid of maybe four tools, only to find later that I needed, or at least wished I still had them. That changed my whole thinking, so for the last 45+ years, the only time I EVER get rid of a tool is if I find that I actually HATE the thing, and then it is GONE, (usually given away, but a couple of times, I hated the thing so much that I wouldn't even give it to anyone else and just threw it in the trash). I have become more selective as to quality, accuracy, ease of use and total usefulness before I make tool purchases, but I think that comes from experience one gains over the years. I also really hate seeing the loss of hard earned dollars go out the door when you sell a used tool. I'll just keep all of mine and enjoy using them when their use is appropriate, no matter how seldom that might be, then someone else can get further use out of them "AFTER" I'm gone. :D

Brian Jarnell
12-15-2011, 12:42 AM
I have to agree 100% with Per. Many, many years ago I did get rid of maybe four tools, only to find later that I needed, or at least wished I still had them. That changed my whole thinking, so for the last 45+ years, the only time I EVER get rid of a tool is if I find that I actually HATE the thing, and then it is GONE, (usually given away, but a couple of times, I hated the thing so much that I wouldn't even give it to anyone else and just threw it in the trash). I have become more selective as to quality, accuracy, ease of use and total usefulness before I make tool purchases, but I think that comes from experience one gains over the years. I also really hate seeing the loss of hard earned dollars go out the door when you sell a used tool. I'll just keep all of mine and enjoy using them when their use is appropriate, no matter how seldom that might be, then someone else can get further use out of them "AFTER" I'm gone. :D

Where are you going?

Alan Wright
12-15-2011, 4:50 PM
I have the Domino, Dewalt biscuit joiner and a Kreg. I use all three, but since I got my Jessum dowling jig, it seems to be my "go to" tool. lots of ways to skin a cat, but I find the dowling jig to be the easiest of all to use and it produces a very strong joint. Domino is great for some applications, but with the price difference ($600) I'd get the jessum first and see if you still feel you pine for a Domino. At $200, it is a great alternative to a Domino.

Gary Curtis
12-15-2011, 5:25 PM
The Domino machine takes advantage of Loose Tenon Joinery. The technique appealed to me, but is it really necessary to incur the hefty price just to have a system where you bring the machine to the work? When, for less money, you could bring the work to the machine.

So, I buy the Domino tenon stock in multiple sizes and cut the mortises with a router. There are a number of great guides available for mortise routing. Jessem, being one of them. I use the WoodRat. That's when great strength is needed. Biscuits seem to do a good job on casework. And the fact is, having a biscuit joiner gets me working, whereas I would be thinking about it instead of doing it.

The Domino is an incredible concept. If you have $900 lying around loose.

Van Huskey
12-15-2011, 5:36 PM
lots of ways to skin a cat,

Indeed, thats part of the problem it is a constant excuse to lust after or buy the great new cat skinner. This cat skinner produces a perfectly even pelt which varies no more than 1 micron over the entire surface, so delicately the cat doesn't feel it and so quickly it takes the average cat 3 minutes to realize it is nude.

Mike Roberts
12-16-2011, 1:02 PM

Keep them both. Never ever sell a tool that is paid for. Remember the one that has the most in the end wins.