PDA

View Full Version : "Weekend Doin's"

Karl Laustrup
05-04-2007, 7:00 AM
Friday May 4th, 2007

Well, another week is coming to an end with the promise of a fantastic weekend.

Weather has been really nice here. Supposed to get a little rain today and then a nice weekend.

This is a big weekend for us. This is 13th birthday weekend for the grand daughter. Her birthday is Monday the 7th, but she's celebrating all weekend. Saturday is all her friends and then Sunday is the extended family. Then Monday we go out to eat Chinese, her favorite. Obviously I'm not going to accomplish anything of a WW'ing flavor. :(

Tomorrow being Cinco de Mayo, I thought at some point during the day I'd mix up a batch of Margaritas and relax. :D

Al and Ted, I think you can take a break from cleaning for 15 minutes and partake in a cool beverage of your choice. Just don't let it become a habit. ;) :D

How about the rest of you? What kind of shenanigans will you be up too?

Dennis, borrowing ideas is the purpose of this web site, so no problem.

Have a great weekend and as always, MAKE IT A SAFE ONE!!

Karl

Tyler Howell
05-04-2007, 7:35 AM
Hey Karl,
Headed north.
Tractor maint. class this afternoon, gun safety class tonight and meet with contractor tomorrow.
Have a safe weekend.
TJH

Al Willits
05-04-2007, 9:19 AM
Sat is my turn at work, so the day is shot, wife has tomatoe plants that are almost 2' tall and not planted, so I'll try and stay out of her way while she plants them.....figuring she'll have other idea's for me, but we'll see.

OK, Karl has declared this weekend a no clean up time, so Sat eve I'll try and work around the mess and do some more on the storage cabinet doors. :D
Sunday is garage time and more work on the doors.
Monday I have off, and might work on the upstairs reloading/storage room.
Have to get that insulated before it get to warm out.

I'm thinking in the next life, I might not have quite so many projects going at the same time, seems everywhere I look there's a project going on...:D

Ya all have a safe and well weekend.

Al

Ken Fitzgerald
05-04-2007, 9:29 AM
I'm on standby/call this weekend. With the number of folks on vacation in our area, hopefully things will be slow!

Saturday ...Yardwork.....

Sunday, I'll be wishing Al and Ted were visiting and had the urge!

Mark Engel
05-04-2007, 10:21 AM
I get to start the weekend early this afternoon. Hopefully get some work done on the kitchen cabinets I have been working on.

Yard work most of the weekend though, probably. Hope the May flies aren't out in full force yet.

Ted Miller
05-04-2007, 10:32 AM
Ai, I got a jump on things and cleaned shop last night and even the LOML helped out. She also was wondering why I have so many of those green and white containers now, more than before! Well I told her that after I finish the few side jobs I have going then I can get to work on her kitchen and yea I said, "those green and white boxes with the green and black tools in them are for er your kitchen remodel my dear". Not sure if she feel for it, man the honey do list just got longer last night I know it.

I bought the TS75/CT22 about a month ago and its just a bit big for some of the smaller jobs I have in a few kitchens so I just got the TS55/CT Midi yesterday. The saw and the vac are lighter and easier to move around the kitchens.

Ken, I would love to help you clean but I know in my heart Al would do a better job than me. Like my pops always said, "why clean the shop, it will just get dirty in a few minutes after you are done cleaning it".

Everyone be safe this weekend...

Don Orr
05-04-2007, 10:51 AM
My wife and I are going back to the Connecticut Valley School of Woodworking for the second half of Woodworking 1 where we are building walnut jewelry boxes from scratch-rough sawn to finish. This is my wife's first foray into woodworking and she is having a good time so far. Working with table saws, jointers and planers with direct supervision and instruction. Safety is emphasized at every step. She had a hard time with the card scraper though. I have learned a lot also since I am mostly a turner.

This is a nice school with a wide variety of courses. Great facility with 2 well equipped shops. It shares the building with a Woodcraft store that gives students a discount. Dangerous to the wallet:D .

And as bonus, the woodworking club we belong to gave us a grant from the educational fund to cover some of our expenses.

I will try to post a photo of the completed projects.

Have a great weekend,

Nancy Laird
05-04-2007, 11:28 AM
So far, it's looking to be a quiet and restful weekend - no laser jobs on the hook (except one proposal for which the art is already done), so I'm going to spend the weekend resting, laundry, resting, cleaning up the shop, resting, maybe a little turning...did I say resting?

Just a word of reminder to all you guys (ladies, you can stop reading now), next Sunday, May 13, is MOTHER'S DAY. Don't forget it, or your tool budgets may go way south!! I know, I know, you guys say that the LOYL isn't your mother; however, she is probably the mother of your children, so she deserves your attention too!!

Have a happy weekend!!

Nancy

Dan Gill
05-04-2007, 11:52 AM
I'll be back at work on my daughter's dresser (FINALLY), re-sawing the poplar for the drawers and dovetailing them with my Keller jig. I love that jig because I can use it on my router table.

Al Willits
05-04-2007, 12:11 PM
AL WOULD DO A BETTER JOB????????????
Ted, old buddy, I thought we were friends??......:D

Al's got Karl's permission to not clean this weekend, Ted does too....but evidently Ted doesn't listen well to others...so Al's gonna have all the fun, well least as much as the shebeast will allow....

I'm also calling Ted's wife and tell her that my wife let me get new tools only if I remodeled the entire house, built her a garden storage shed, forked over all my income for 15 years, did all the housework, gave up my favorite drinks and became her love slave....becaused I love her, and to do less would mean I didn't love her....
Tell Ken I'll clean for him will ya...I'll teach ya....:D :D

Al...who's getting his room for rent sign out for Ted....;)

Dave Anderson NH
05-04-2007, 12:23 PM
French Polishing class tomorrow thru the NE chapter of SAPFM, a $35 bargain. Held at the North Bennettt Street School. I've got to catch up on yard work. With the last month's weather I'm really behind and Sue's starting to rag on me about it. So far the excuse about working on her sister's blanket chest has cooled things...." I can't do both things at once ya know" Maybe Sunday will be split between the shop and the yard. This day job thing is really making life difficult.

Greg Cole
05-04-2007, 12:43 PM
I hope the sky has cleared over KC for the weekend.... pretty wet week.
I did manage to get the deck framing done and all railing posts installed on Tuesday. Picked up the rest of the materials on the way home Tuesday too... although I made the mistake of telling LOML what a 16' trex "board" costs. At least I had it all stacked under a tarp so she couldn't count the "boards" yet. :D
So, the weekend should be spent putting the decking on & finishing up the railings & privacy panels.
After a winter of shop furniture work, it sure is nice to have "close enough" be exactly that!

Greg

Jim Becker
05-04-2007, 1:02 PM
Congrats to your granddaughter, Karl!! OOhhhh....a teenager now. LOL!

I'll be doing "this and that" this weekend...

Justin McCurdy
05-04-2007, 4:11 PM
I'll be preparing for the Swap Meet and Lumber Heist. I have 50bf of Red Oak coming. I am also getting rid of some tools to help fund some recent purchases (Bosch and Kreg ... mini gloat). I am excited to see what everyone is going to bring. I'm sure I'll leave a little poorer.

I really need to cut the grass. It rained on me last weekend when I was trying to cut the rest of the backyard. The rain continued through the week but the weather has not been nice enough for me to get back out there to finish up.

I have oh so many carcasses to build, face frames to put together (yeah for the new Kreg), doors to make, and work tops to cut and laminate. I will be busy just in the shop for the rest of the year. All I need now is the will to get off my can and stop enjoying the sub 70 weather while it lasts.

I might even have to try removing Sharpie off of my vandalized shed. I am going to try the dry-erase over sharpie method followed by the curl up in a fetal position and cry method. 1 year old, 30 year baked enamel paint that I have to now paint over thanks to some punk with nothing better to do.

Dennis Peacock
05-04-2007, 6:10 PM
Howdy Karl,

Just working the day job on Saturday, got plenty of music to practice for Sunday and the coming church conference on Tuesday night. Still working on the kitchen table project and doing some turning as I get time.

Have a great weekend!!!!

Al Killian
05-04-2007, 9:19 PM
I will be preping a pile of walnut(gloat in seperate post) and starting on a bed for my son.

Finish staining and repairing a maple nightstand for a client. Most of the joints had pulled apart. It sat in a damp basement for a few years.

Then if there is time I will rake the stone out of my yard. Ans put the chunks of sod back in place.

Bill Eshelman
05-04-2007, 11:56 PM
A couple years back, a neighbor and I thought of this idea to buy one of those horns from the Swiss Alps like the one on those Ricola cough drop commercials. We were gonna blow it whenever someone in the neighborhood scored a brand new tool or mower or anything generally "gloatable". Well if we had actually bought one, it would have sounded this week because I am the proud new owner of a Sears ride mower. My old snapper was pukin gas out of the carb so I just got fed up and gave up on fixing it every year. New mower cuts rides and looks awesome. This weekend I am gonna fix up the yard, finish 4 picture frames, finish a shaker end table, and hang with my wife and daughter.

Good times.:)