PDA

View Full Version : Bench Saw

Randall Houghton
05-03-2007, 11:08 PM
I'm looking for a good all around hand saw to use at the bench for occasional joinery, material trimming ,etc. I was thinking along the lines of something like Mike W's halfback or maybe a 16" or 18" tenon saw. What do you think and what do you use?
Regards
Randy

James Mittlefehldt
05-04-2007, 8:31 AM
I use a brass back 14 inch cross cut saw made by R. H. Smith of St. Catharines Ontario sometime before 1900. For the odd rip cut I do I have a newer saw by the same company, it has a steel back and is 12 inch I believe. Bought them both in a box lot at an auction sale for $15.

Dave Anderson NH
05-04-2007, 8:48 AM
I use several saws at the bench. For general cutoff work I use either a Disston #7 16" panel saw or my Mike Wenzloff halfback. Joinery would not be easily accomplished with either type of saw though it could be done with difficulty and care. For joinery you will do far better with a backsaw. Remember that both a tenon saw filed rip or a dovetail saw will work for tenon cheeks, it depends on how deep they are. Conversely, a tenon saw is more difficult to use for general cutoff (crosscut) work. The rigid back on the saw makes it difficult to angle the cut and reduces accuracy.

You might consider starting with a single saw of some type and add saws as time, money, and interest allow.

Pat Zabrocki
05-04-2007, 10:32 AM
You can't go wrong with anything that comes from Mike W.
I've got the half back, a No. 9 and a panel saw and they are worth every penny.

Andrew Williams
05-04-2007, 11:21 AM
How about a bowsaw?

Justin James
05-05-2007, 6:20 PM
I think its just a matter of what you get used to. I've been using an old Disston backsaw since I was a kid (one of my first auction purchases). I recut it to about 12 ppi and filed it half-rip, and after 30 years it seems perfect to me. My brother (and about everyone else who has tried it) hates it.

Think about what you are going to do with the saw, the materials you use, the stuff you make, then try to find a good compromise.